Hobie Getaway Righting Procedure

When righting a Getaway with a front trampoline, a modified technique should be employed. Grabbing the front cross bar is not a reliable way to hold onto the boat. Hobie suggests grabbing the righting line near the fitting.

I recently was practicing righting our new boat on a windless day. I pulled the boat up, slid off the hull into the water, and reached uo to grab the crossbar, normal cat technique, done numerous times. My hand could not encompass enough of the bar to get a good and slipped off. The boat moved forward as it righted, and the cross bar smacked me hard on top of my head.

For those seasoned sailers sailing a boat with a front trampoline, take heed the way to right these requires a non-standard technique for grabbing onto the boat.

A third crew also in the water, aft, noticed the boat moved forward 15 feet as a result of a non tethered boat.righting.

Of all the boats we had and have who knew the seemingly benign party barge would be the one that would do rhis.. Getaway sailors watch out for this.

Damon, can we consider making this a sticky?

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
i am confused - how and why would you be in front of a boat during righting?

crew / skip would be on the side of the boat with the righting line - please explain what i ammissing
+1 to MN3's comments.
Cats with front tramps aren't new.
I had a Gcat 5.0 and righted it with a righting pole solo all day long. It did not behave any differently than any other cat I have owned.

--
FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
--
If I read this correctly he is righting the boat from the side normally and as the boat comes over is going to the front crossbar to hold on to the boat. I think he is saying the issue is with the front tramp attached to the crossbar there is not enough room to grab on to it. Not sure why the boat would move forward as described.

Edited by pknapp66 on Jul 26, 2021 - 10:19 AM.

--
Pete Knapp
Schodack landing,NY
Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
--
I can see the sail, as it comes up, giving the boat some forward thrust. But other than a high wind, (where i see the front tramp helping to push the boat up), I don't see the tramp being a huge interferance. In said high wind, I could see the front tramp, keeping the boat from even partially "nosing" into the wind while on it's side. I obviously don't have a front tramp on my 18, so if I am FOS, then I am.

--
1978 H18
1983 H18 (some of it)
--
what about coming up from the stern, it's lower and you can steer if the boat wants to sail. Or coming out from the side, with the righting line in your hand.
If I understood correctly, ctcataman wasn't able to grab the main beam just after righting the boat, as it's normally done to avoid flipping to the other side. And probably it's the rear beam that hit him? because the boat moved forward?

I think that the Getaway doesn't have a dolphin striker, so there's nothing to hold on to. Maybe having a couple loops of line as handles could help?
I am GLAD you are ok - that could be a fatal accident if knocked out cold

QuoteWhen righting a Getaway with a front trampoline, a modified technique should be employed. Grabbing the front cross bar is not a reliable way to hold onto the boat. Hobie suggests grabbing the righting line near the fitting.

Holding a righting line fitting???? i am confused by this statement -- holding onto a rightline or anything from the side of the hull boat is now about to flip over isn't gonna stop the boat from "over righting" on-top you you- please explain "fitting"

QuoteI recently was practicing righting our new boat on a windless day. I pulled the boat up, slid off the hull into the water, and reached uo to grab the crossbar, normal cat technique, done numerous times. My hand could not encompass enough of the bar to get a good and slipped off. The boat moved forward as it righted, and the cross bar smacked me hard on top of my head.

Pulled the boat up?- do you mean you intentionally flipped/capsized?

"reached uo to grab the crossbar," - the crossbar is what holds your tillers together - i assume you mean the central beam. or do you really mean the crossbar and got hit with rear beam as the boat took off?

"the boat moved forward as it righted, and the cross bar smacked me hard on top of my head"
And confused again - you said it was a windless day - if that is true your boat could not move 15' and i would doubt it would move 15" due to righting

and if you are sailing (with wind) and capsize -
this is why you need to deploy an anchor as soon as you can. this will automatically put the boat bows into the wind and avoid any chance of your boat sailing away or into an item or person. also furl your jib if you can or uncleat it if you can't

even in a 2 mph wind this will help put your bows into the wind

Side note: i can relate - one of my worst days on the water was a capsize that went terrible. after many attempts i was able to right. - jib filled (not on anchor) - boat took of like a rocket towards a pier - main sheet and travler were wrapped 10000x around my blocks and tiller crossbar so i could neither steer nor sheet out .... i unrapped the line at the last second
Hi guys, soery for confusion. I am a man of too few words sometimes. Pete K nailed it.

We jad three sailers. Two righting, one treading water near the stern. I was fore. As boat came up, i was ahead of the crossbar that has mast step. I could not grip anything and the front bar hit my head.

There are 2 issues here.
Getaways with front tranps have no hard parts to grab during the righting once the hulls over over the tipping point.

The second is really an observation. Cats when righted bt themselves without someone holding on will move a good bit.

That said, this was practice on a windless day. Most days when righting because its been howling.

I plan to put some type of handle on. Maybe some webbing sewn on? TBD

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
i was surprised to see there is no dolphin striker and more surprised hobie did not think to provide something to grab while righting - i would explore this a bit more on the hobie forrums to hear what they (matt) has to say
First thing I did was reach out to Matt and he stated something to grab onto would make it lower and more risky. I disagree. He also said accidents happen. I disagree.

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
yikes
how about sewing some webbing near the front beam on bottom of the tramp?
Sewing in loops is a great idea. Front tramp being mesh may need some reinforcement. I could run loops of 1/8 line thru the mesh short term. Making them a contrasting color will be useful.

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
Or more rigid hanldes bolted to the beam. Kayak handles might work
I will look the kayak handle up. Thanks.

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
I am not a fan of putting holes in a beam that aren't crucial - ymmv

Edited by MN3 on Jul 28, 2021 - 02:49 PM.
Same here, esp as this sees salt water.

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
I am not sure I am relating to your problem...
My getaway has capsized several times, usually when the kids are sailing it. They are not heavy enough to right it, so I have to jump in. The things we do for the kids. Anyways, I think as the boat comes up I just keep hold of the righting line and have never had a problem with the boat going over again. The boat does sail forward a little while it is coming up, but since I am still holding on to the righting line, it is not really an issue. I do board the boat from the back as it is much lower than the bow.

Did your Getaway even come close to going over again after you pulled it up after your hand slipped from the crossbar? I suspect the weight and stability of the Getaway it enough to keep it from going over again while righting it.

DSC_0129 (1).jpeg
It went from on its side to upright rather easily. It wasnt an issue of secondary tipping. Just lack of grip options.

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
kevingI am not sure I am relating to your problem...
My getaway has capsized several times, usually when the kids are sailing it. They are not heavy enough to right it, so I have to jump in. The things we do for the kids. Anyways, I think as the boat comes up I just keep hold of the righting line and have never had a problem with the boat going over again. The boat does sail forward a little while it is coming up, but since I am still holding on to the righting line, it is not really an issue. I do board the boat from the back as it is much lower than the bow.

Did your Getaway even come close to going over again after you pulled it up after your hand slipped from the crossbar? I suspect the weight and stability of the Getaway it enough to keep it from going over again while righting it.

DSC_0129 (1).jpeg

Because of the front tramp i guess that the righting line goes under the hull when righting, right? Otherwise it wouldn’t be very practical to keep you connected to the boat, i believe. So if the boat doesn’t tend to tip over to the other side, yes, your technique solves the issue i think. It would just be important to be aware and unlearn the other technique if it’s the case.
Isn’t it time for another righting momentum above or below the hull discussion now? icon_lol icon_lol

Edited by Andinista on Jul 31, 2021 - 06:16 AM.