Supercat 20 trailer

Just picked up a Supercat 20.
Anyone here familiar with what appears to be an original steel expanding trailer?
(Matt H/Aquarius was only familiar with alum)I'm guessing this is a precursor to the aluminium Trailex model one of which I briefly owned. (Didn't like how flimsy it felt when moving it 60 miles and cable/pulley/wheel system was in shambles.) So the steel trailer has cables and pulleys that expand port side. Just curious if anyone is familiar with them. For a previous one I owned I did make an expandable trailer using galvanized sign post tubing for the crosspeices/cradles(they nest together nicely enough). Worked ok and I was able to set it up by myself, with patience, including mast stepping. I do plan to post on Tom's site soon but this is a bigger venue.
Will be going through rest of it, sails tramp, rigging, for parts needs
Second question..I know this era Supercat has the rear transom plugs(not drain) that tie in with hull/mold..a weak point but still intact. Id like to cut in some rear round style access hatches for future structural upgrade. If anyone has done that like to hear what best brand used and how mounting to a non flat surface is dealt with.
Thanks for any input.
Just read 'contoured access ports' thread. !!
I used to have a couple of the contoured hatches but they appeared to be poorly modifed regular ones. Likely the last of the ones advertised that us folks would have disappointed with.
I suggest you check out the Aquarius owners group site.
http://owners.aquarius-sail.com/phpbb3/

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
--
Posted at Aquarius. Will order a few parts soon. Matt wasn't familiar with the steel trailers. Did say he thought the SC 20 was #21 based on HIN. I just finished going through the rest of parts and actually completely unrolled sail.. yes.#21. I had driven 10+ hours and bought sight unseen..definitely wanted it. Will work well for my needs.
One other question regard trailering and cat box(never had one).. the end cap of hobie cat box...do you place that towards the front( at rear now). It seems vulnerable in regards to 55 mph hwy speed. I taped both lids down for ride home as bungees were toast but am thinking of swapping ends ..not worried about access.

Previously
Supercat 19
Hobie Holder 1
Supercat 17
Supercat 20
If it's the coffin-type box that's tapered on one end and has a larger, removable lid on the other, I ended up putting the fat end forward, but because of access issues. Just much easier for me to get sails and stuff in and out the front of my trailer. Down side is, if you ramp launch, water typically fills the box. I'm thinking of raising mine for that reason alone. No problem trailering it that way.

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--
Filling up with water..haha. I would have thought of that as soon as I started backing in.
I'll just figure a more sure way to keep lids on or make a 3" drain hole on bottom.
I don't think they considered ramp launching for those boxes. Access for my storage box is forward between the hulls.
The stern part is sealed (I hope) against water ingress.

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
--
Yeah, knew it would happen, that's why I keep the box empty and wash it out. Depends on the slope of the ramp as to whether any gets in. The box opens front and back, so there's no keeping it out. Spaced up about 4-6 inches off the trailer deck would do it. Problem is, clearing the dolphin striker. Might just leave well enough alone as it's not so bad. Of course, off the beach, it's not an issue.

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--
Hi all, I have one of the early steel trailers and it has worked fine over the years for setting up the cat. Although I don't step the mast on the trailer ... it dose flex and stress the arms with to much weight ..I usually get 4 guys and lift it off the trailer once the tramp is on.
As for the front cross arm... we built a solid one to With the help of Bill Roberts...( I had the privilege of meeting him ! ) I can look for all of my old info ... it works great . we just bolt it on when we setting it up, and trailer it with the old telescoping Arm. Hope this was helpful info. I will dig out the specs for the mast pin and sleeve . The boat is up for sale on thebeachcats... pics are not the best, but if any one is interested on more info let me know .
Thanks
Dan
Hi all, I have one of the early steel trailers and it has worked fine over the years for setting up the cat. Although I don't step the mast on the trailer ... it dose flex and stress the arms with to much weight ..I usually get 4 guys and lift it off the trailer once the tramp is on.
As for the front cross arm... we built a solid one to With the help of Bill Roberts...( I had the privilege of meeting him ! ) I can look for all of my old info ... it works great . we just bolt it on when we setting it up, and trailer it with the old telescoping Arm. Hope this was helpful info. I will dig out the specs for the mast pin and sleeve . The boat is up for sale on thebeachcats... pics are not the best, but if any one is interested on more info let me know .
Thanks
Dan
Thanks for the input guys. I am going to try to make this trailer work..know more in a month after a trip and then when back home start rebuilding/ rewelding some parts on it. I used old propane tanks for cradles on last trailer and now have another set for this one as the old ones(original? are delaminating/plywood). Mast support 2x2 tube is split at bottom so that will be replaced. A suggestion from a retired extremely large diesel machinist..make 2 wheeled supports for the 2 extensions...something I had thought of before he brought it up.
My homebuilt trailer for last SC20 worked ok..the extension issue was spread on both sides so maybe less binding. Seems like half the fun is..tinkering...figuring out solutions. I tell my friends how I used to play with TinkerToys glowing up...this is as close as I get to that now..have to love it. I also drilled out 5/8 bolts for a zerk fitting to use as a roller pin. Its a process..upgrading.

I'm also having to get trailer retitled with bill of sale, old registration but no plate or title and a damaged unreadable NV serial number. Fortunately I live in a rural area and they're relaxed about that kind of stuff. Trailer looks similar in construction to a recent Ziemans trailer rebuild I did(kayak trailer conversion) including the funky caster in front...also rock solid for the most part. And the NV dmv tag makes it seem more likely a Ziemans as they have a Reno location last I checked.
All for good stories and memories. I have an old CJ6 Jeep story along these lines also.
The Hobie cat box that was included. ..I plan to run a line inside from a tang on rear cover.. drill hole and run it back out on outside just behind front cover/ lid and then back down to the trailer frame. I am doing this to secure both covers when I trailer this 300 miles to my summer destination 2 week sailing trip. The thought of losing a cover was disconcerting. I thought of a pinned SS shaft through rear cover or those nice latches used on pop-up campers but decided against as I saw how rusty they can get. A 1/4 line is cheap. I only plan to use it as trasport as opposed to long term storage...it's to humid where I live to store anything long term.
Once I get some steel repairs done I can feel more comfortable beginning to test the winch driven expansion system..looks sowewhat intact and solid. Either way I'll force it to work..haha
The dolphin striker system...the hole through my beam is 1"..this one never used the mast post bushing. I'm getting closer to ordering 2 swageless studs and cable but still considering a full 4" beam with the newer DS system..just wanting more specifics. I can't get the pipe(4x 0.125) locally but will check when Im near Portland OR. By the end of July Ill have it ready hopefully. A lot more figuring than the last 3 Supercats.