Sewing a snuffer bag

I am making a snuffer bag for my N5.2. I have a pole mounted with a tennis racket hoop and an Inter 17 spin with two takedown points. My bag should measure about 8ft long based on the points. What I don't know is how big in diameter the bag needs to be. Obviously the size of the racket at the head. Are they usually tapered? Thanks.

--
FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
--
no - that would make it harder to get in the bag as it got further in
The ones I’ve made have a slight taper. You can test it by taping the material together in whatever shape you want. Biggest thing for mine was tying the back end of the bag back to the tramp with some line so that the bag doesn’t wrinkle and jam up the spin on the way out. Otherwise the goal would be to get as much taper as you can get away with to reduce windage.
https://www.murrays.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/IMG_9882.jpg

IF there is any taper is is verrrrry slight
2 take down points can run a lot more taper. The opening usually gets clogged up with a large wad of spin initially but once it’s in the sock it’s going to be much thinner. If you are custom making your bag you’ll be able to get it just right vs a bought one that has to work with different take down points and sail weights.
Thanks tamum
I plan to go un-tapered right now. I can always seam rip it and take more material off next season. Of course next season I might get serious and buy a real setup.

--
FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
--
You don't need to rip the seam... just run a new stitch to make it a bit smaller... REALLY.. unless the thing is flapping in the breeze when snuffed, it will be fine. P.S. Go sail at Ocean Springs!

Edited by robpatt on Apr 21, 2021 - 03:18 PM.