Any black cat sailors out there?

I know, it's a totally off-the-wall question. I've just been watching a TV series called "That White People Shit" that's pretty funny. It's a very urban black actor/comedian (originally from Houston, now in LA) trying out a lot of stuff that whites do and blacks don't. Stuff like LARPing, chainsaw carving, skiing, goat yoga, and barbershop quartet - you get the idea. A few are sort of ill-informed, like rodeo, which has a long history of black cowboys. But for the most part it's a lot of fun.

He gets out to the water for kitesurfing, but only messes with the kite on the beach - he's too afraid of stingrays to actually get in the water - and then tries flyboarding, but not sailing. So I'm curious whether there are any brothers in our midst.

Fwiw, I've got a pal here who meets the melanin requirement that I've been trying to drag out for a few years. The problem has been his insanely busy life (i.e. a new house and a couple of new babies), not "that's white people shit". So this summer, for sure!

Edited by jonathan162 on Mar 04, 2021 - 12:22 PM.

--
Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
1983 SuperCat 19
TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
Mystere 17
Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
--
There’s a really cool dude named Warren from North Carolina who has come down to Navarre FL a couple times.

--
Tim
Collierville (Memphis), TN
Supercat 15--sold :(
Hobie monocat--given
Vanguard 15--traded for...
Nacra 4.5--sold
Nacra 5.7
Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
Supercat 17–sold
--
tnellThere’s a really cool dude named Warren from North Carolina who has come down to Navarre FL a couple times.

What's his ride?

--
1983 SuperCat 19
Mystere 17
Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
--
I can raise my hand and say I have a black friend... who raced Middle Bay Light with me in Mobile. We taught sailing in Nashville for two years together. But he does not own a boat. He lives in Ocean Springs. I need to get him in touch with those fellas.

--
FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
--
Somewhat related. I was for a few years volunteer sailing instructor/coach in a community center club outside of Wellington NZ. Mostly Maori and Pacific Islander folks but honestly a mixed and happy bunch. We charged $60 per family per "season" (3-4 month, I think it was the summer school break) for kids sailing, with adults invited to join. We'd see 8 kids and 2 uncles from a single family sometimes.

It was fabulous. Everyone (and their uncle - literally) learned to sail and swim between capsizes in cold water by a modest club "world famous" for having had Russell Coutts learn there. Races to the other shore, picnics, dance-offs on the stony beach.
jonathan162So I'm curious whether there are any brothers in our midst.

Yes indeed there is!

tnellThere’s a really cool dude named Warren from North Carolina who has come down to Navarre FL a couple times.

That dude is a local club member, great guy, great sailor (mostly Acat) and one of my best friends, "Warren" is in fact Warren Mitchell. Saw him at a club board meeting last night. Note, I was one of his sailing instructors in 2003 and took him his first ride ever on a beach cat my first Hobie 16 "Crazy Goose" which I think may still be menacing the waters of Va. Beach.

Warren actually crewed my boat for a local club race his first time on a cat. It was a light air event, but for the third Saturday race we got a puff as we approached the finish line and flew a hull as we crossed. At the moment we started flying a hull Warren start giggling with excitement. At that moment I knew he was hooked. One week later he purchased a Hobie 16 that I found for him and the rest is history...(dare say I created a monster...a good monster) icon_lol

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=134445&g2_serialNumber=3

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=134444&g2_serialNumber=3

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=134443&g2_serialNumber=3

--
Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
MacGregor 25 (formerly)
Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
NACRA 5.0 (currently)
High Point, NC
--
Okay, now here comes the punch line. As the show's host (Keraun) travels around and tries all this "white people shit", he keeps hearing the same thing over and over: That, yeah, we've heard of a couple of black guys who do this. And not counting the NZ contingent (because he's only looking around the US, and mostly in California), I count two here. Keraun's resulting theory - supported by our own highly scientific and statistically significant survey - is that it's the same two brothers who are out there doing all this stuff.

So that's cool indeed - you know one of them!

Edited by jonathan162 on Mar 11, 2021 - 11:00 PM.

--
1983 SuperCat 19
Mystere 17
--