reef main sail

Prindle 18-2
When underway in widely variable wind conditions, want less mainsail.
Does anyone do this, and if so, how?
And if not, why not?
I envision adding hook points lower on mast, sewing reef points onto mainsail.
What of deploying anchor to maintain headed up while reefing?
welcome input/ conjecture on this topic.
There is some recent discussion on the topic here:
https://www.thebeachcats.…ms/viewtopic/topic/18355

--
Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
--
Thanks, read the thread. all to the good.
On my Nacra 5.2 I have a reefing main I wouldn't say I am any kind of expert but on windier days I would reef the main before I head out I attach my downhaul and my boom to the reefing points I only started reefing my main this year since I was mostly sailing solo I had to secure the excess sail with line around the boom.To try and reef your main in a blow while out on the water is problematic I think a 2 person job. You can heave to and lock your tiller arm on something but its all rather sketchy at this point having never done it before.
Quote On my Nacra 5.2 I have a reefing main I wouldn't say I am any kind of expert but on windier days I would reef the main before I head out I attach my downhaul and my boom to the reefing points I only started reefing my main this year since I was mostly sailing solo I had to secure the excess sail with line around the boom.To try and reef your main in a blow while out on the water is problematic I think a 2 person job. You can heave to and lock your tiller arm on something but its all rather sketchy at this point having never done it before.

sketchy for sure -
deploy your anchor prior to attempting taking your sail off the hook, or off the boom, or off the blocks and esp if solo.

unless you are racing with a chase boat - you should have an anchor with you most of the time, esp on windy days - ymmv
My G-Cat will "hove to" very nicely. (Jib backwinded, main completely loose and fastened hard a-lee.) It just sits there and gives me an opportunity to put my harness on, etc. I was wondering if that would work while reefing?

--
Bill Townsend
G-Cat 5.0
Sarasota
--
The discussion I had about this on the Aquarius owners site (can't find it now) recommended a Aussie hook down the mast from the masthead hook. The problem Matt Haberman mentioned using this approach was the halyard ring catching when dropping the main. The solution was a trip line attached to the ring to clear it off the hook.

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
--
shortyfoxMy G-Cat will "hove to" very nicely. (Jib backwinded, main completely loose and fastened hard a-lee.) It just sits there and gives me an opportunity to put my harness on, etc. I was wondering if that would work while reefing?

you are incredibly vulnerable when you take the main off the hook and esp off the tack.
you are going to be hard pressed staying at "heave" when you have no control of your main
if you get hit with a wave or gust at this time you are caught with your pants down and your hands tied

add this to being solo - unless you have a method of locking in your rudders at full over (fully turned) you are going to be vulnerable, and unable to control your rudders -
my goodness does throwing my anchor in to manage EVERYTHING sound so much easier
not to mention IF you capsize in heavy air (that's why we are talking about on the fly reefing) and you capsize.... your anchor is your best friend
You are probably right. I never reef, but if I did I would look for a beach or a shallow area and anchor. I always carry one. Hove to works really good for me if I want to stop for a while.

--
Bill Townsend
G-Cat 5.0
Sarasota
--
On my boats I have always had a jib furler. With the rudders all the way up and the crew/skip at the forward beam my boats would head to wind and drift backwards at 2-3knts. This has been my preferred way to "park". I carry a DIY sea anchor also. Rolls up really small and weights nothing.

--
FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
--
Quote Hove to works really good for me if I want to stop for a while.

It is an invaluable skill every skipper should know how to do
Quotea jib furler. With the rudders all the way up and the crew/skip at the forward beam my boats would head to wind and drift backwards at 2-3knts. This has been my preferred way to "park".

big difference between drifting and parking

also we are talking about reefing in this thread - again taking the sail off the hook and boom/tack - not exactly what ya do during a reefing drill - ymmv

Edited by MN3 on Feb 22, 2021 - 05:20 PM.