Hobie 16 Spinnaker Kit

Seems there have been a lot of posts lately regarding the Hobie 16 spinnaker, so I finally sat down and created a Hobie 16 Spinnaker Kit album:
https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=134303
The album contains the Hobie Basic Instructions (with my added chicken scratch notes), My Supplemental Instructions, and several pictures. There are corresponding numbered steps/pieces of hardware to relate the two sets of instructions, and My Instruction Supplement highlights the differences between the two.

Background: My Hobie 16 had the spinnaker kit installed when I purchased it from the original owner (not sure if it was installed by the Hobie dealer or original owner). I had no interest in using the spinnaker but was told it worked well. I promptly (before damaging it!) removed and sold the kit to recoup some of my cost. To enhance the sale, I wanted to provide the buyer with installation instructions but soon learned that there was a lot of incomplete and conflicting information out there. My kit was the Europe {17(?) square meter} version. I've heard there was a smaller spin marketed in the US at one time that was installed/rigged differently, and I believe that to be the source of at least some of the confusion. Anyway, I set out to create pictures of the hardware (on and off boat), add installation notes to the Hobie instructions, and provide supplemental instructions for clarification. Nothing sanctioned/official about these....there may be better ways to do it....just a representation of how my boat was rigged when I got it.

Hopefully someone somewhere will eventually find this info useful for their particular application. If there are any questions, I'll try my best to help.

Peace,

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
rattlenhumSeems there have been a lot of posts lately regarding the Hobie 16 spinnaker, so I finally sat down and created a Hobie 16 Spinnaker Kit album:
https://www.thebeachcats.…es?g2_itemId=134303

Jerome, Great Job! That is going to help anyone wondering about using a spinnaker on a Hobie Cat 16.

I edited the titles on the two PDF's to make it clear they were PDF downloads. If you like I can change the thumbnail for those two to a PDF logo so it's obvious at a glance.

Thanks for sharing your build, I know it's a lot more work than it seems to get all that organized and posted.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
No problem, Damon......glad to give back a little! It was a bit of work but sort of a fun challenge, too. My detail-oriented brain couldn't let it slide without at least attempting to sort out some of the confusing info. Luckily I had an editor (Ron) with a lot more spin knowledge and experience than I.

Please do change those thumbnails if you get a chance. I wasn't sure what to do about those but was otherwise fairly pleased considering my Stone Age computer skills!

Hope you are well, man. Gimme a call if you're coming through the area and we can catch up over a (case of) beer!

Jerome

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
Awesome! Thanks so much. Very helpful for a novice like me who have never seen a spin in-person.

--
FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
--