Hobie 16 spin on Nacra 5.2

I am hunting for a spin for my 5.2. I have a windsurfer mast already and mocked up the boat to pull a tape measure. Mid-way from the hounds to the tip down to the pole gave me ~25ft. This can change with pole elevation/length/and halyard height.
Saying all of that I know little about spin measuring. An H16 spin luff is 20ft. Is that in a straight line? How do I take that into account when mounting hardware on the boat? A H16 mast is 1.5ft shorter than the N5.2, but from pictures of an H16 rig I'd say it would be an ok fit, if not underpowered. Considering I do not have raked spreaders that may be a good thing.
I found a spin with a tramp bag for sale in good shape for $500. Hope to haggle it down. Thanks.

--
FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
--
wish i could help but despite owning several cats with spins, and having owned 5 spins, i don't really know the answers to your questions - and don't want to steer you wrong.

perhaps the dreaded Sailing anarchy multihull forums you could get better answers (and some attitude and maybe some death threats :) http://forums.sailinganar…um/37-multihull-anarchy/

Edited by MN3 on Jan 28, 2021 - 04:47 PM.
rch701I am hunting for a spin for my 5.2. I have a windsurfer mast already and mocked up the boat to pull a tape measure. Mid-way from the hounds to the tip down to the pole gave me ~25ft. This can change with pole elevation/length/and halyard height.
Saying all of that I know little about spin measuring. An H16 spin luff is 20ft. Is that in a straight line? How do I take that into account when mounting hardware on the boat? A H16 mast is 1.5ft shorter than the N5.2, but from pictures of an H16 rig I'd say it would be an ok fit, if not underpowered. Considering I do not have raked spreaders that may be a good thing.
I found a spin with a tramp bag for sale in good shape for $500. Hope to haggle it down. Thanks.

I have a brand new Hobie 16 spinnaker with all lines, hoop and everything except the spinnaker pole. If you are interested let me know. I will send pictures and give you a very good price. Everything is brand new, still in original packages.
From MultiThom @ Multihull Anarchy
"Assuming you plan on snuffing it, you have to consider the distance from the snuffer to the end of the pole (if any) for the tack line. Then consider the straight line distance from that height above the tack to the hound for the spin halyard...that's your maximum luff length. Then figure how far it is from the hounds to where you plan on sheeting from (back beam?) and how far it is from the end of the pole to that sheeting spot. You want a spin whose leach/foot length is close to the same ratio as the distance from the hounds to the sheeting spot / pole to the sheeting spot--that'll give you a 45 degree angle of sheeting which is close to what you want. Obviously, a shorter luff than maximum will require a similar reduction in leach/foot. Also, you want to know the SMG of the spinnaker (midgirth/foot). If it is 80% or more, it will be a deep running spin and probably not what you want unless you want to go low and slow (but who wants that?)."

HULLFLYER, I am checking all options. I have an Ocean Springs guy checking his stash of spares before I possibly downsize to the H16 spin. I am interested though and will PM you.

--
--
MN3perhaps the dreaded Sailing anarchy multihull forums you could get better answers (and some attitude and maybe some death threats :)

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol +1 there are many opinions on SA = mostly BS

--
Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
MacGregor 25 (formerly)
Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
NACRA 5.0 (currently)
High Point, NC
--
Quote"Assuming you plan on snuffing it, you have to consider the distance from the snuffer to the end of the pole (if any) for the tack line. Then consider the straight line distance from that height above the tack to the hound for the spin halyard...that's your maximum luff length. Then figure how far it is from the hounds to where you plan on sheeting from (back beam?) and how far it is from the end of the pole to that sheeting spot. You want a spin whose leach/foot length is close to the same ratio as the distance from the hounds to the sheeting spot / pole to the sheeting spot--that'll give you a 45 degree angle of sheeting which is close to what you want. Obviously, a shorter luff than maximum will require a similar reduction in leach/foot. Also, you want to know the SMG of the spinnaker (midgirth/foot). If it is 80% or more, it will be a deep running spin and probably not what you want unless you want to go low and slow (but who wants that?)."

This makes my head spin
does this answer any of your questions?
Just bought a RS800 spin on ebay with 2.5 days on it. Has a 26'-6" luff. I'll post pics of it when I rig it up. It is 20m2 in area. I hoisted a 27ft spin last weekend from a buddy and it fit, but was on the large end of things.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124278344129

--
--
Quote Just bought a RS800 spin on ebay with 2.5 days on it.

what is a 1/2 day sailing? 12 hours? lol