hobie 21SC $2200 South Carolina

https://charleston.craigs…-cruiser/7216570180.html

--
Pete Knapp
Schodack landing,NY
Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
--
Huh. Stock photo, but great price. Funny how the value/market for these big cats seems to be dumped/sinking.

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--
the used beach cat market (and sport) has been disappearing for years - at least in the USA

lost to SUPs, cheap kayaks, wind surfers and now kite boarders
MN3lost to SUPs, cheap kayaks, wind surfers and now kite boarders

I can't even find much in the sailboard community anymore.

We can thank the national congress. They passed a huge tax on any sailboat over $100,000 in 1990 and in two years most American shipyards closed, filed bankruptcy, or went overseas. Congress had priced them out of business.

"In 1991, sales of luxury boats dropped 70 percent from 1990's level, while overall boat sales fell 18 percent."

The repeal of this destructive tax was completed in a glorious bi-partisan vote, but was too little too late. With the departure of the large sailboat industry/community, so went all major support for sailing here. NACRA (aka the North American Catamaran Racing Association) moved to Europe and Australia.

Rising oil prices and the EPA pounding the fiberglass and paint industries closed off the small boat makers. The EPA even went after the styrofoam industry, and targeted Clark Foam (a $40 million company) specifically into extinction.

To paraphrase Will Rogers, "I'm happy that we don't get as much Congress as we pay for."

I am not arguing any party politics here. I'm just an angry victim of national policy dictated by morons who are completely capable of destroying entire industries.

Edited by klozhald on Oct 30, 2020 - 04:24 PM.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
That sounds right; I remember that effect, but at the time wasn't so personally affected. Now, there's huge advertising about how builders are using green materials to build boats. Seems they're trying to out maneuver political trends coming up. Guess vinyl Ester will be on its way out, or is already. Interesting, though I think misguided (government action) in relation to its true environmental impact.

What about aftermarket cottage industries for cats? I've seen nothing outside of maybe sails.

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--
the rise of the condo and loss of beach access is a pretty big factor these days as well

Dunedin fl used to have dozens and dozens of cats on the beach on a good day
those days are LONG gone - lucky to see 5 on a weekend lately

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=134015&g2_serialNumber=3

Edited by MN3 on Oct 30, 2020 - 10:44 AM.
Looks like a scammer ad to me.
The value of used beachcats in the Midwest Has increased in the last 8 months. I sold a Getaway for 20% over my purchase price. New inventory’s of beachcats and other water toys completely sold out from dealers in this region last summer. Used boats were scarce and prices soared. It might be a bubble.
It looks like prices on all used beachcats increased due to sudden demand. Our beachcat fleets on Lake Michigan are very active. The bubble may burst in 2021, but I do not think Congressional action has much to do with it. Glad to hear there are still bargains in other parts of the U.S.
QuoteThe value of used beachcats in the Midwest Has increased in the last 8 months. I sold a Getaway for 20% over my purchase price.

in the spring, when sports, bars, parks and others were closed the only recreation available was boating. the marinas and ramps were packed and insane. people were parking their tow vehicles all over the place since the lots were full.

bicycles sales were through the roof and stocks were emptied
home workout equipment has soared
home appliances are sold out still

i expect these markets to return to pre covid rates and stock after the pandemic
I can attest to the COVID-related boom in recreational gear - though I was lucky enough to see rising demand and get my toys just ahead of the rush. We bought a Hobie 18 in late May - by June or July, few to be found. We bought a used Hobie Oasis tandem kayak a month later - now, you can't find one at all for a reasonable price, or even an unreasonable one. We bought electric bicycles last April - that model has been out of stock until the last few weeks. We bought a travel trailer last August - it has been out of stock, only pre-orders with a premium, ever since, and all similar models show the same heated demand.

We got good gear, but we didn't get huge bargains. Now, we couldn't come anywhere near the quality/price/value equation we managed at the time. Lucky us - not so lucky for those who followed...

--
Tony H
Hobie 18
Sailing Mission Bay and nearby CA
--
onemorecatWe bought a Hobie 18 , We bought a used Hobie Oasis tandem kayak a month later , We bought electric bicycles last April, We bought a travel trailer last August .

I have discovered the source for the increased demand and limited supply

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol
MN3
onemorecatWe bought a Hobie 18 , We bought a used Hobie Oasis tandem kayak a month later , We bought electric bicycles last April, We bought a travel trailer last August .

I have discovered the source for the increased demand and limited supply

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

And we have discovered how to socially distance in the most enjoyable manners possible... icon_cool

--
Tony H
Hobie 18
Sailing Mission Bay and nearby CA
--