Considering 1971 16' Prindle - Craigslist Ad

I am a first time beach cat buyer, and I am looking for something of value to sail from the beach at our camp on the Gulf of Mexico in South Louisiana. Can I get some feedback as to whether this is a fair deal? I've gotten additional photos of hardware, anchor points, and trampoline. Trampoline has a small tear on the forward port side, sponsons are in decent shape considering age (clearly a few patches), considering making a trip to the North Shore to put my hands on it and feel for soft spots. Could any of you gurus provide some feedback as to whether this seems to be a fair listing, and perhaps some trouble points to look for?

https://neworleans.craigslist.org/boa/d/mandeville-prindle-16-catamaran/7208203713.html

Thanks in advance!
I have the feeling that whoever owns this boat has no idea how to sail it, judging by that absurd picture of the mainsheet, the batten tension, and rudder down-ness. Judge from that what you will. I recently had a hard time selling a much better condition boat, and I think I only got 1600 dollars. The unregistered trailer is enough to annoy me. I don't think I would pay more than 1k for it.
The good news is that the boat is newer than 1971. It has the molded in portholes and if that's the original sail I had the same with sail # 5371 that was either a 1980 or 81.
I agree with ziper1221, this cat has issues.
You are missing at least half of the mainsheet blocks, and if they have cut the line to get rid of the excess, you'll have to replace that as well. $$$
Tears in the tramp and sails can be minor, or a big problem. They will all need to be addressed.
There is a large shackle on the bottom of the forestay, and what is that line leading back to the front crossbar?
There is a minimum $500 worth of replacement/repair so far on this one, gauge your offer based on your budget.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
Don't do it! There are clearly better boats out there for that price. Remember the old adage, "the sum of the parts is greater than the whole". Even sight unseen, $500 is a conservative estimate for replacement parts. In 2018 I bought a G-Cat for $2000. I replaced sails, tramps, lines and hiking stick, not to mention all the stuff I nickeled and dimed. It sails like a new boat but when I go to sell it I suspect I won't get anywhere near the $4500 I've got into it. Check out one of the rotomolded Hobies. If you have your heart set on a Prindle 16, there are others out there and for a little more you could find yourself with a complete boat.

--
Bill Townsend
G-Cat 5.0
Sarasota
--
There are much better options. Especially if you are willing to travel a little bit. Very nice cats come up regularly on the TX coast and FL panhandle. I drove 1000 miles round trip for my current boat and it was totally worth it.
You've got it backwards, it is supposed to be "the whole is more than the sum of its parts"
Thank you all for the replies and insight! I am, by no means, set on a Prindle. I prefer a Hobie and would be siked for a rotomold but the prices are out of my budget at this time. I am not against traveling, but obviously that requires a road worthy (Interstate 10>trailer. I will check the classifieds on this site, and look forward to your feedback in the future. I'm not picky, just looking for a user friendly, solo-capable cat that I can sail from our place on the beach when it's too windy to fish.

Thank you all for your feedback, and for saving me from wasting money. I already have enough seaworthy money pits in my life!

Tight lines.
If I were traveling for a boat, I’d consider renting a truck from U-Haul or Penske. Throw everything in the back and sort out the road-worthiness of the travel at home.

--
Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
--
dartsailorsIf I were traveling for a boat, I’d consider renting a truck from U-Haul or Penske. Throw everything in the back and sort out the road-worthiness of the travel at home.

Yeah I would opt for a utility trailer but that is a great point.
I'm fortunate that I'm getting my cat from a friend. He is going to go through the bearings & tires before I get there. Still it is daunting to have a 1400 mile trailer checkout.

--
Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
--
rthist1
dartsailorsIf I were traveling for a boat, I’d consider renting a truck from U-Haul or Penske. Throw everything in the back and sort out the road-worthiness of the travel at home.

Yeah I would opt for a utility trailer but that is a great point.

go big or go home
https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/2020-10-03_7-14-36-620x350.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xNzyaJn.jpg

Edited by MN3 on Oct 13, 2020 - 12:50 PM.