Dagger Boards Nacra 5.2 and Hobie 18

I just purchased a Nacra 5.2 and my buddy purchased a Hobie 18. I always assumed daggers would stay down 100% of the time the water was deep enough but I have seen them partially raised in a lot of videos. Can someone give me some pointers or point me towards some info on how to trim the daggers properly?

Edited by pnacra52 on Sep 30, 2020 - 10:01 PM.
These might be helpful
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=servicing+your+rudders
Link didn't work. Can search service your rudders on youtube.

Edited by windflower on Sep 30, 2020 - 08:32 PM.
The title states “dagger boards”, your post says rudders...
I assume you are talking about the boards. With a rounded bottom hull, there is little resistance to sidestep, the dangers provide this resistance, & convert it to forward motion.
When going upwind, you want them all the way down, creating the greatest resistance to slipping downwind.
When reaching, about halfway, broad reaching in strong wind the boat tends to “trip” over the downwind board if it’s all the way down.
Downwind, pull them up, you are not being pushed to lee very much, raising them eliminates drag.
This is very basic settings, serious racers will have them marked for setting at different winds, angles of sail

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
You are correct, I meant daggers... long day lol. Thank you, that makes sense to bring them up when going downwind. I also read a post about someone taking them up a bit in extremely heavy winds. I assume this allows the boat to slip downwind and reduces stress on the hulls?
hello- also depends on depth of water!! I almost destroyed my N5.2 when I hit a newly created sandbar after a storm/ if water deep keep both down when singlehanding in high wind conditions/ back in the day Hobie 18 sailing in the Atlantic always deep water, till surfing in to shore, so follow Ed Cris advise but boards up when running with the wind
Edchris177This is very basic settings, serious racers will have them marked for setting at different winds, angles of sail

Edchris177 is on point here.

It does differ from cat to cat, which you will be able to see sailing with your Hobie buddy.
It also depends on where you are sailing. When I am lake sailing and tacking a lot, I keep both boards down to help through the tack.
When I am sailing a long multi-mile reach in the ocean off the wind, I bring mine up to about 40 percent to allow me to slip in the direction I want to go anyway. When the wind and waves get big, both boards go all the way down for more control.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
If concerned as to hitting the bottom or unsure of the depth, I mark my boards just a little shallower than the rudders. Hence the rudders will kick prior to impact to the boards.

--
Forrest
I-20 USA-645
Hernando, Florida
"There's not enough rum in the drum"
--
QuoteWhen I am sailing a long multi-mile reach in the ocean off the wind, I bring mine up to about 40 percent to allow me to slip in the direction I want to go anyway. When the wind and waves get big, both boards go all the way down for more control.

but as you put them all the way down, does the cat will bounce around a bit more? I find pulling my boards up some helps calm the boat down off the wind in rougher seas (may be a trade off - more control but more bouncing around)
I marked my boards too, and also had really good doubled upped bungees to keep boards at selected depth,(attached to each bow) but if your going full tilt and rely on rudders kicking up first be aware! in an old post i explained how my sailing bro Joe PogostinH18 with benches,N570 with benches,Prindle 16) repaired "the well"that the dagger sits in on my old N5.2, it was quite an effort to achieve a sealed tight condition