Slo Sail & Canvas Trampoline Repair

Hi. I have a H18 and I replaced the trampoline in 2014. UV Exposure to the tramp has been 50/50.
It is a 3 piece tramp and this past weekend, my knee caused a 6" tear along the seam midway of the starboard hull. Has anyone ever made a repair on these tramps once they start to tear? I have ordered a new one from Slo Sail, but they are 8 weeks lead time. I'm thinking I can just stitch it every 3/16", using a circle needle. Maybe top that off with some sail repair tape? Anyone else made a similar repair?

--
Tim Young
Hobie 18' + other stuff that floats and goes.
Kentucky
--
There are a bunch on Ebay new for sale. Slo sails has a listing saying more than 10 available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/…5db60:g:jWwAAOxyXWdQ4gQ5

--
Pete Knapp
Schodack landing,NY
Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
--
I'd give them a call. Their website said the same thing about the Nacra 5.0 when ebay said they had them in stock. When I called they said ebay insisted on faster shipping so the ones ordered off their were a priority. I got mine in less than 7 days I think.
Shawn
QuoteI'm thinking I can just stitch it every 3/16", using a circle needle. Maybe top that off with some sail repair tape? Anyone else made a similar repair?

i don't know what a circle needle is but i know for sure sail tape isn't gonna do sqwat to hold a tramp together

Mesh or fake leather tramp?

i have had high quality tramps repaired and restitched and way extend the life. i have seen enough tramps fail on people that i know i don't want that to happen to me (i need 2 new tramps currently):

you can patch tramps BUT if your hand or knee is making holes in the middle of your tramp it sounds shot / and if you continue to use it - you are using gear in poor condition and that can be dangerous - ymmv

(i hate slo)
Quoteyou can patch tramps BUT if your hand or knee is making holes in the middle of your tramp it sounds shot / and if you continue to use it - you are using gear in poor condition and that can be dangerous - ymmv

Very dangerous when stepping the mast. Check out Sunrise Yacht Products out of St. Pete.

--
Bill Townsend
G-Cat 5.0
Sarasota
--
shortyfox
Quoteyou can patch tramps BUT if your hand or knee is making holes in the middle of your tramp it sounds shot / and if you continue to use it - you are using gear in poor condition and that can be dangerous - ymmv

Very dangerous when stepping the mast. Check out Sunrise Yacht Products out of St. Pete.

(they are in Pinellas Park - but very close to St Pete)

I hate to report it but Sunrise was sold.
i have seen a few of the new owners product. they are not up to old sunrise standards.
my friend had to return his new 6.0 tramp multiple times and sunrise did not do the work as expected

hopefully it is just some growing pains - i will never ever ever use SLOW again

Edited by MN3 on Sep 11, 2020 - 08:16 AM.
SO, an update on the ripped trampoline. I stitched the tear with dental floss, which was right along the hull, and then gorilla taped it from both sides. This got me through the next few uses, but, the tape was a constant reminder where not to step. I store the boat mast up, so no need to step mast. It actually held nicely. I looked back and my last tramp (this one) was ordered/installed in 2014 - SLO Sail was the maker. I was about 50/50 on using a tarp to cover the boat, so there was UV exposure. Is 6 years pretty good life?

I ordered a new tramp, again from SLO Sail, and they were back ordered 6 weeks. This tramp is an "upgrade" from the previous tramp and the material is called TEX 90, supposed to be like the material used on the current production Hobie Waves/Getaways. It arrived yesterday, so I'll wait till spring to install.

--
Tim Young
Kentucky
--
Might be worth it to check the fit of the new tramp. Pretty common tramp but it would not be fun to find out in sailing season that you have to send it back.

What lake are you sailing in Kentucky?

Thanks,
Pete

--
Pete Knapp
Schodack landing,NY
Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
--
pknapp66Might be worth it to check the fit of the new tramp. Pretty common tramp but it would not be fun to find out in sailing season that you have to send it back.

What lake are you sailing in Kentucky?

Thanks,
Pete

Good idea on the fit! It would really suck to find out the tramp didn't fit next April and try to get Slo to make amends after 6 months.

I have sailed both Barren River Lake (Bowling Green Area) and Dale Hollow Lake (middle of nowhere). Barren is a better sailing lake due to flatter terrain, but we have a houseboat on Dale Hollow, so this year, I added a winch to the houseboat and the H-18 just fits on the back deck, mast up, (with some hanging off). There is one other guy on Dale Hollow sailing a Hobie Getaway from his Houseboat (keeps it on top somehow) and there are about 6-8 small cruisers. Otherwise, seeing a sailboat is rare on this lake; too hilly to get great/consistent wind - but better than not sailing at all!

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=134011&g2_serialNumber=3

--
Tim Young
Kentucky
--
timscottyoung Is 6 years pretty good life?

Sounds terrible to me. My 13+ year old Hobie tramp still looks nearly new, and there are much older ones still serviceable at my club. Yes, they are expensive up front, but the life cycle cost is hard to beat.

Hobie tramps are heat welded. All the others are stitched as far as I know.....highly recommend the use of Tenara (Teflon) thread, even if there's an upcharge.

FYI....I've repaired tramp tears with vinyl from an old dry bag (on top and bottom), PVC pipe glue, and 2x4 sections to clamp it all together. Works well out in more open areas, but my gut tells me probably not on a seam near an edge.

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
tramp life is equal to a few factors:

quality of materials used and quality of the construction
UV exposure (or lack of)
environment - saltwater and or other solvent exposure
and removal of environmental contaminants (washing off with soap and water after use or after tree sap/other gets on it)
and amount of use

so six years is pretty good for a cheaply made tramp that has not been well cared for and had lots of use
six years is not so good for a tramp that was well built with high quality materials has been cared for and lightly used
For mesh, I restitched with black V-69 thread and then added pockets out of black Sunbrella/off brand. Even using the V-69, you're only supposed to get 6-8 years out of the thread. The Tenara thread is really the way to go, but that stuff is like $100 a spool. There's a specific glue for vinyl that the sail maker and upholstery shops sell, but I don't know if it'll work on tramps. From what I've read and in my experience, a dark V-69, or better V-92 thread is minimum. Even "heavy duty, uv resistant upholstery thread" isn't the same.

If you were to make your own, what material woul you use?

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--
charlescarlisThere's a specific glue for vinyl that the sail maker and upholstery shops sell, but I don't know if it'll work on tramps.

The vinyl glue I used on helium balloons was HH-66. It works really well on any vinyl, including vinyl coated tramp material- IF it really is vinyl coated. Test imported material first.
HH-66 is nasty stuff. Do not breathe it, get it on your skin, or even say it's name out loud.

From the MSDS:
H225 - Highly flammable liquid and vapor.
H319 - Causes serious eye irritation.
H336 - May cause drowsiness or dizziness.
H361 - Suspected of damaging fertility, or the unborn child.
H373 - May cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure.
P312 - Call a poison center if you feel unwell.

Here is a great video about safely using HH-66 from Sailrite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-wf7Xa5m3s

If you are not familiar with Sailrite, you should be. If nothing else, they have great how-to videos and information on all kinds of materials and procedures. And yes they sell small cans of HH-66.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
QuoteHH-66 is nasty stuff. Do not breathe it, get it on your skin, or even say it's name out loud.

HH-66, HH-66, HH-66

https://img1.looper.com/img/gallery/the-untold-truth-of-beetlejuice/intro-1536691439.jpg
ha! Well played, my friend! Well played! (Halloween reference worked in, etc...)

Ps- yeah...Sailrite has a bunch of my money... Is a good source of some stuff and excellent how-to's; I agree. Seems they're the most economic source of mesh thus far as I can tell and many other supplies, but not all.

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--
charlescarlisSailrite has a bunch of my money... Is a good source of some stuff and excellent how-to's; I agree. Seems they're the most economic source of mesh thus far as I can tell and many other supplies, but not all.

Agreed on all points. Their sewing machines are expensive but an absolute joy to use. I wish my discretionary funds could cover one, but it's hard to justify.

I have found decent quality tramp mesh, though limited in color, at a couple of local warehouse style fabric-by-the-foot stores. Very good prices too. I'm currently sewing a new grass catcher for my mower with it.

Knee-jerk thought: Never rely only on adhesive when working with vinyl coated mesh, especially for a trampoline. The vinyl coating can give way. Sewing involves all the fibers in the materials, providing more strength. You can try just gluing patches over small holes in the tramp (less than a dime diameter) but use HH-66 and a patch on both sides.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--