Hiking stick

Years ago I had an S-2 7.9m that had a handle on the end of the tiller extension. That type of grip was far less tiring than the straight grip or cork ball I've become accustomed to with the Arriba hiking sticks. Am I correct in assuming the reason beach cat sailors don't use this is because the extra weight at the end of the stick would be a factor when passed around the mainsheet when tacking or jibing? Has anyone ever tried this? I'm sailing with a straight grip right now and after only a couple of hours my wrist and hand gets tired and I don't have excessive weather helm.

--
Bill Townsend
G-Cat 5.0
Sarasota
--
i have never sailed a sailboat with anything but a straight tiller, including monos

I can only guess the reason they aren't standard on cats and probably monos is that anything but a "stick" is prone to snagging lines or getting jammed up on something sold and becoming a hazard to sailing

i have had my stick get snagged under my hiking straps in the past (if i put the stick on the deck for some reason and then need to tack/gybe). it can be a moment of panic when you realized your stick is jammed and you need to react very quickly as you are now out of control of your vessel)
https://www.mauriprosaili…/product/SPIEA2000S.html

I went with one of these. This link is just for example. I shopped around and got it cheaper.
It too will jam if you aren't paying attention.

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
--
gahambyhttps://www.mauriprosaili…/product/SPIEA2000S.html

I went with one of these. This link is just for example. I shopped around and got it cheaper.
It too will jam if you aren't paying attention.

Thankyou. It looks good. However I'm not willing to risk that kind of money with these possible problems. What I am going to do is make a prototype out of PVC that I can attach to my Arriba.

--
Bill Townsend
G-Cat 5.0
Sarasota
--
You can probably cobble something together out of PVC conduit & appropriate cement, but it might be easier to attach the end of a premade handle.
Many cheaply built garden tools, or snow shovel,(probably not common in Sarasota), have a plastic D handle which could be used.
This is on a cheap shovel,it would fit the Arriba shaft almost perfectly.
https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=133386&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by Edchris177 on Aug 01, 2020 - 09:19 AM.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
Rest the stick on your shoulder. The hand position then is much less tiring.

--
dk

Blade F-16
Hobie 14
Corsair F-242
Mirage 25 (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
--
Since I have an S2 7.9 and an A-cat, here are the issues I see: In the S2 you always steer from the exact same spot on the boat, just aft of the traveler, port or starboard. Therefore, a tiller extension with a fixed length/handle will work. On a cat, you are all over the boat, and hold the extension at many different places depending on wind speed, upwind, downwind, tacking and the rest. Not to mention, it’s pretty standard to just throw the extension out the back and steer from the crossbar while hauling the mail downwind on one hull. Unless of course you’re trapped downwind, foiling, then you’re using the extension from yet another spot.

Edited by mookie on Aug 03, 2020 - 09:17 AM.

--
Falcon F-16
Taipan 4.9
S2 7.9
--
Edchris177You can probably cobble something together out of PVC conduit & appropriate cement, but it might be easier to attach the end of a premade handle.
Many cheaply built garden tools, or snow shovel,(probably not common in Sarasota), have a plastic D handle which could be used.
This is on a cheap shovel, it would fit the Arriba shaft almost perfectly.
https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=133386&g2_serialNumber=4Edited by Edchris177 on Aug 01, 2020 - 09:19 AM.

+1

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
I've never seen a tiller handle like that used on a beachcat. Not saying it can't be done, but I think you'll find that the weight at the end of an 8'+ extension to be more trouble than its worth, plus all of the notes Mookie points out.
samc99usI've never seen a tiller handle like that used on a beachcat. Not saying it can't be done, but I think you'll find that the weight at the end of an 8'+ extension to be more trouble than its worth

That particular handle is very lightweight moulded ABS and is strongly designed. Throwing your tiller extension overboard is never a wise practice due to the excess wear on all parts while it constantly banging around, being hard to reclaim when you need it, and the senseless drag created if you are racing. When I am sitting on the back rail steering I have both the crossbar and the extension in the same hand. You could even put adhesive velcro on both pieces to have them passively attach in this position.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--