Hobie 16 Franken Block

A local club member showed up the other day with a new to them first ever H16. I walked over to take an initial look and offer to help out. Looking it over I was rather startled to find this APM 6:1 mainsheet system. Definitely not anything I've ever seen on a Hobie before. Anyone know anything about this brand or where it came from? The P in APM is actually the image of a micrometer???

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=132788&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by leeboweffect on Apr 07, 2020 - 01:14 PM.

--
Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
MacGregor 25 (formerly)
Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
NACRA 5.0 (currently)
High Point, NC
--
Forgotten his last name, think it was Tony ? on Long Island who made these wonderful blocks. You had to have the tangent guards which didn't always come with them or the line would slide off the sheave and jam between the side wall & sheave. Pete
pbegleForgotten his last name, think it was Tony ? on Long Island who made these wonderful blocks. You had to have the tangent guards which didn't always come with them or the line would slide off the sheave and jam between the side wall & sheave. Pete

Thanks for the ident Pete. I can see how the slide off issue could be a problem. Also I wonder if these were originally intended for cats and/or were possible standard equipment (OEM) of some make or model of boat.

--
Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
MacGregor 25 (formerly)
Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
NACRA 5.0 (currently)
High Point, NC
--
They came out in early to mid '70's. John Schuck, our mid west Hobie rep picked them up as a great upgrade over the very average Seaway blocks. The early ones were price well next to Harken, but when tangent guards were deemed required, they were a bit pricy. Pete