Newbie sailor with old Hobie 18 Clearwater Florida

Just wanted to say hey. My name is Eric. Up until 2 months ago, I hadn’t stepped foot or ever really been around a sailboat. First on my list was purchas. Second, go get lessons. I stayed in that order. I got my boat used on CL then went right to the Hobie dealer. Ended up needing a new rudder and all standing rigging was replaced. haylard ring was gone, change that and the line. New travel car bushings. Sails are in good shape just scrubbed with 1/2 gallon of dawn. Replaced and retied the battens. Now, I feel like the boat is decent.
The next weekend I took a 2 day sailing class. Learned the basics on a Hobie wave. Best $150 I’ve ever spent. Never understood how to go up wind. Following weekend I loaded up and went to the causeway. Met a few guys that sail. Stuck in irons twice but got alittle help. Sheeted in and got the hum going.
I just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum. I see doing this for a lot of years to come. Also,shout out to Andrew(MN3) for taking me under his wing. Thanks. I’d be half way if you didn’t help. Thanks.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=132411

Edited by etowne on Oct 23, 2019 - 09:32 PM.
Hi Eric and welcome.

Grats on choice of H18, It is a great boat. A bit heavy but that is the price you pay for durability.

Can you right it yourself? I just ask because it was my first catamaran too and I found out the hard way it is a bit of a beast to get upright solo. I added a Hawaiian sling https://www.murrays.com/product/01-x293/ made all the difference. I have heard lighter guys even have to use a waterbag too. No I dont represent Murrays in any way.

Once again, welcome to the community.

Brad
Jacksonville, FL
2x Stiletto 27s (and yes, I do know you can only sail them one at a time)

Edited by bradinjax on Oct 23, 2019 - 09:10 PM.
I guess I didn’t do pic right. ..lol

I haven’t had to right it yet. Been out twice. First time was a good blow, had a buddy with me just Incase I needed 2 people to right it. No jib sheet on that one. Second time was no wind at all. By the time I stopped, flags were solid against the pole and I was maybe doing 1/2 mph getting back. I pry should tip it on its side and try by myself to right it so I know if I can or not. I’m 230# so shouldn’t be too bad.

Edited by etowne on Oct 24, 2019 - 06:12 AM.
QuoteAlso,shout out to Andrew(MN3) for taking me under his wing.

under the wing is much better than under the bus!
Glad to help

QuoteI’m 230# so shouldn’t be too bad.

i recommend you get a bag .... that way you can feel confidant even solo

or throw it to someone else who is capsized so you don't have to jump off your boat

Yes you should learn this skill. lets make sure your mast is sealed first (we can walk it into the surf and look for bubbles)
Points well taken. That’s why I’ve had someone with me. Need to get mast stepper also or load my boat backwards like you guys. I’m learning.
etownePoints well taken. That’s why I’ve had someone with me. Need to get mast stepper also or load my boat backwards like you guys. I’m learning.

the ez-mast step unit works well but will double your rigging time and is a real pita to set up initially

when i owned a h16 and h18 i would ask someone on the beach to hop up on the deck with me to lift the mast - even after i owned the jin pole. it was just so much faster

then i learned about flipping the boat around on the trailer - that was a game changer

if you do this you can even take the bows off the trailer, leaving the stern on the rollers. this will point your cat nose down. pin the mast and now you will have 50% of the stepping work done since the boat is at such an angle and the mast will be much easier to lift. once in the upright position gravity will hold it up - you can step off the tramp with nothing supporting the mast but gravity. walk around and connect your forestay to the furler.

I should be out sat if the weather looks ok - if you are around i am glad to help test this with you
same with sunday
r u looking for trailer?have 2 a trail x and a 'Boat trailer', both cat trailers in Fort Lauderdale but wont be there until 11/26 in nyc now, but u can look at them if u r on East Coast
nofearofflyingr u looking for trailer?have 2 a trail x and a 'Boat trailer', both cat trailers in Fort Lauderdale but wont be there until 11/26 in nyc now, but u can look at them if u r on East Coast

his boat came with a trailer
Ok. Then I gotta pull rudders, which I know is right way to do it. I’ll spin it around on trailer.
Eric, not looking good for sailing sat. calling for high winds (gusts near 30) and afternoon storms
sunday's wind looks better but still rain ... will have to play sun by ear

I am PM'ing you my cell number
if you want to meet up on the beach sat morn to turn your boat around, i am happy to help with that (it's a lot easier with the mast stepped or completely off the boat - as taking a cat off the trailer with the mast just lying on it is a real pain in the butt)

text me tonight if you can about tomorrow - or tomorrow am before 10am