Washing sails

How do I soak a sail to clean it? I need a tub 8 feet long.

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
I went to Tractor Supply Company and got a plastic watering trough for livestock. It holds 100 gal. You could go cheaper and use a kiddie pool. Not quite sure why you need 8 ft unless you're going to leave the battens in. A friend of mine puts his sails in his swimming pool with the battens.

--
Bill Townsend
G-Cat 5.0
Sarasota
--
QuoteA friend of mine puts his sails in his swimming pool with the battens.

I have in the past
i wouldn't in the future

https://ullmansails.com/s…care-for-laminate-sails/
https://ullmansails.com/s…l-care/dinghy-sail-care/
ctcatamanHow do I soak a sail to clean it? I need a tub 8 feet long.

fresh water rinse and air dry - no real need to soak

are there stains?
When my sail gets, um,.. “inverted”, I lay it on a 12x20’ tarp on a sloping driveway and spray-wash it with a detergent spray wand. A big flow-through auto brush works great for lossening dirt.

Small amounts of Shout or another laundry stain remover helps with Dacron sails, and there are a couple fabric rust removers that work incredibly well. You just gotta be patient and real careful around the seams. Even a soft fingernail brush will pull the threads. (Remove or loosen the battens first).

Fold or flip the sail and do the other side. Let it dry there.

If you don’t track dirt on it, the sail comes out perfectly clean. (Avoid trees and power lines - birds love a big bright target like this). heul2

--
Prindle 18
--
Good ideas. One sail has a stain. I heard soaking in a bleach solution won't hurt Dacron.

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
Since I sail saltwater, I wash after every sail, though I'm still quite new (disclaimer), but have found a power washer with a "foam cannon" on the end is GREAT for spreading a lot of mild auto-soap on a sail quickly. Then, as above I use one of those extra-soft, long handled automotive car wash brushes to wash the sail, followed by a generous rinse. Problem I have is getting it to rinse effectively, as there's no "hill" to my yard... But they get cleaned! Also gives me a chance to pay close attention to the zipper on the jib, which tends to hold sand/salt, etc.

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--
Acetone... bucket and bucket of acetone... it will clean them puppies right up...

Sorry Damon, couldn't help myself.. this screamed for a revival..

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
ctcatamaran,
This is great cleaner, and much nicer to your lawn and the environment:
303® MARINE MULTI-SURFACE CLEANER
Walmart and other stores carry it.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
My method. Shock the pool and throw the sails in for the day. My sailmaker washes sails with chlorine every season, and says it will not damage the sail. I left the battens in, but my .battens are not the sandwich foam type. I'd remove those.
Darn! Got No Pool. icon_frown

If my Jacuzzi was bigger, I could really get that sucker clean!

--
Prindle 18
--
Quote My sailmaker washes sails with chlorine every season, and says it will not damage the sail

my vape shop tells me it's safe to vape too :)

from my link above
"Never put sails into a chlorinated swimming pool to clean. For a laminate sail the vulnerable part will be the stitching, which is not chlorine-resistant." © 2019 Ullman Sails

kidding aside, i did it 1 time with a laminate sail, battens in. Had no noticeable / detrimental issues and the sail died of old age (material gave out)

after reading stuff like what Ulman says and since i try to extend the life of my sails ... i find no real need to do anything more than a fresh water rinse. IF the sail was covered in sand .. i might be a little more agressive with a soft brush but that's all

optimally : a quick fresh water rinse while sailing in hot florida is nice too (as long as there is no lightning)

stains on dacron i would spot treat (no i wouldn't... they don't slow me down)

Edited by MN3 on Sep 29, 2019 - 11:21 AM.
This stuff is da bomb. https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/26897f69-4d53-42ea-9d51-b2dc19f51491_2.9c2a0f7cc3474859af990393fd116d26.png?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

--
Prindle 18
--
The best advice is to avoid stains to begin with. Keep them dry and stored indoors.
I hang them from my tree (much to my wife's chagrins), fresh water rinse with the sprayer, let air dry.
I wouldn't have any concerns dunking one in a pool, especially one that is already up there in age.
Stains just are what they are. I've never gone beyond dawn dish soap and a toothbrush. If that doesn't get it, then let me be the cautionary example of what happens.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
'02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
--
nohuhuThis stuff is da bomb.]

I personally wouldn’t acid wash my sails.
badfishThe best advice is to avoid stains to begin with. Keep them dry and stored indoors.
I hang them from my tree (much to my wife's chagrins), fresh water rinse with the sprayer, let air dry..

+1
If you want to really get your wife to notice, hang them from the ceiling...unfortunately, I only have 25’ ceilings.
https://www.thebeachcats.…pictures?g2_itemId=71736[/url]

Edited by Edchris177 on Oct 01, 2019 - 06:10 AM.
Considering the warning labels, I can understand why you’d feel that way. But used as directed, this stain remover is “safe for colorfast fabrics and carpets”. I can vouch for that on several Dacron sails.

It attacks iron rust stains almost as well as hydrogen peroxide dissolves blood and organics. It only takes a few drops and you rinse thoroughly with water after the stain is gone.

--
Prindle 18
--
My front yard has a nice slope where I spread the sails out in the grass and wash with fresh water and let dry in the sun, it sure gets the attention of the neighbors around here, "what sort of boat is that"? "Can you fish from that thing"? "Pretty sails" .

--
Marty
1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
--
martyr"Can you fish from that thing"?

This is always the question I get. That and "Where do you keep the beer?"

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
'02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
--
Quote"Can you fish from that thing"?

"Only if the fish is REALLY fast!" icon_biggrin

--
Prindle 18
--
I have sailed into someone's trolling lines and he was pissed. when i got to the beach i realized i had his line still attached, it had a few fish on hooks . (he shouldn't have had his line in the channel)

Quote"Where do you keep the beer?"

I don't drink beer but i keep the rum in my cooler... duh . prost