Solid tie down connectors on trailer??

The skegs on the Nacra make it want to slide forward during travel. Opposing ratchet straps are the obvious fix.

However, being an engineer that uses fixturing to hold production parts, got me wondering if there is a better way.

Has anyone had success with solid tie downs? Maybe a hybrid, with an aluminum link hinged to trailer rail, that uses a one foot strap to go around cross bar. I don't mind fabricating some parts. One over center latch that controlled multiple attachment points would be slick.

I will have to do some CAD on this.

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
i am not a fan of ratchet straps on a lightweight boat
they are too easy to over tighten (esp via rookie crew)
the metal parts are too easy to do damage
they often leave a tail that can turn into a flog machine at higher speeds

I use rope. i tie each bow with a line and a single one over the rear

if i had any concerns about shifting, or goin on a longer drive than my local beach (5 miles away) i would use 4 ropes vs 3 and probably use the rope on the trailer winch as well

Edited by MN3 on Sep 23, 2019 - 12:18 PM.
I also prefer to use rope. One piece (4 each) around each corner of the crossbar angled inboard and at opposing directions, tie each piece with a trucker’s hitch. It is plenty tight and strong to keep 200-300lbs of hulls/frame from moving around. Tie down belts loosen, flutter in the wind, and always seem to allow shifting. Since switching to four separate rope tie downs, the boat has never shifted.

If your boat is sliding forward on the trailer, one potential solution would be to add a solid “bumper” post or similar vertical up (with a leg for bracing) as a stop for the front crossbar to rest against.

sm
Quote tie each piece with a trucker’s hitch.

+1
A vertical bumper and truckers hitch, here I come! The truckers hitch is my go to for many other hold down applications. I saw a video on numerous ways to tie it, esp variation in the pulley loop.

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
As someone else with a skeg boat, you mentioning that your boat is sliding forward tells me you load your trailer bow forward. Load it aft forward. I have one line that runs from the winch to the rear beam. I have one line on each side that wraps over the hull and ties onto the trailer rail (the part you bang your shins on). My boat never moves when trailering.

Edited by dartsailors on Sep 23, 2019 - 05:25 PM.

--
Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
--
MN3I use rope. I tie each bow with a line and a single one over the rear

+1

DartsailorsLoad it aft forward.

Most Dart 18s sold in CA came aft-forward on their trailers, and the trailers were designed to do this. Your mileage may vary. Try it out and see where your cross beams will allow tie down.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--