From P16 to P18 (old style)

For those of you who are familiar with sailing both a P16 and a P18 (old style,) is there much value in 'modeling up' if I principally sail solo? (I am 200 lbs.) Thank you.

--
Prindle 16
--
Solo I would go P16. Easier all around. Way easier to push uphill or right. It can still be sailed like a bat out of hell with your crew out on the wire. They give me a good chase on my P18.

I bought the P18 so I could solo when needed. But it's the better crew boat. Easy to move with 2 people. Not that easy to right, still.

The decks on both boats are wide open and comfortable, unlike the P18-2, etc.

Anything about the P16 you don't care for?

--
Prindle 18
--
I had no problem keeping up with 18 on a 16 single handing... Both boats are great for solo dialing... guess it depend on where you're sailing and the wind and if you're getting a screaming deal

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
My concern is crossing the Chesapeake. I'd like to do some destination sailing to the other side.

--
Prindle 16
--
Stay with the 16.
If you were going to solo the 18 at your current skill level, I would suggest 1} a righting bag and lots of practice, 2) a furler for the jib to de-power on the water, and 3) someone to help you raise and lower your mast. The hinge of the 18 is on the side, which makes winching awkward with a sideways mast where the forestay wants to rotate the mast while pulling it up.
These three things represent a lot of work and funding. Your 16 has plenty of volume in the hulls and a proven design for ocean sailing.
Disclaimer- One of the small voices in my head doesn't want you to solo in the Bay. It's big. It dwarfs 30 foot day-sailers. Please carry a waterproof VHF radio, a signal flare, cd to use as a signal mirror, and a whistle ON YOUR PERSON, preferably attached to your PFD.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
Quotecd to use as a signal mirror

Led Zeppelin is the best CD to sail with!

PS All of Bob's safety comments get a +1 from me
Very detailed response. Thank you.

--
Prindle 16
--