Tuning Runs On The Nacra 5.0

A bit of fun from 07.21.2019

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131906&g2_serialNumber=3

https://youtu.be/Iz2LnvoFS7E

--
Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
MacGregor 25 (formerly)
Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
NACRA 5.0 (currently)
High Point, NC
--
love your videos!
thanks for sharing so many

Edited by MN3 on Jul 30, 2019 - 08:09 PM.
MN3love your videos!

Thanks, they're fun to make and are hopefully both mildly entertaining and helpful.

--
Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
MacGregor 25 (formerly)
NACRA 5.0 (currently)
High Point, NC
--
I’m always surprised at how flat your water is in 20mph wind, not even a solitary whitecap.. if I get a south wind of that strength, it’s 2’ rollers, rising to 3’ at the entrance to my bay. Leaning over to the waters edge would treat one to a hard slap in the face, some times it’s hard to maintain footing.
I was out yesterday, with the weather buoy reading 16kts, gusting to 19kts. It was like being in a washing machine at times.
Unless out on the wire, it’s a mighty wet ride, unless sailing very deep.
You need a single trap on that boat. In those winds the 5.0 will drive for miles on one hull.

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 31, 2019 - 09:11 PM.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
Edchriss177I’m always surprised at how flat your water is in 20mph wind, not even a solitary whitecap.. if I get a south wind of that strength, it’s 2’ rollers, rising to 3’ at the entrance to my bay. Leaning over to the waters edge would treat one to a hard slap in the face, some times it’s hard to maintain footing.
I was out yesterday, with the weather buoy reading 16kts, gusting to 19kts. It was like being in a washing machine at times.
Unless out on the wire, it’s a mighty wet ride, unless sailing very deep.
You need a single trap on that boat. In those winds the 5.0 will drive for miles on one hull.

First, it's a pretty small man made lake in a bowl so there just isn't enough run for large waves to build. Second, the wind velocity is so up and down, max. forecast one minute and flat glass water the next which again is not conducive to wave development. Third, the winds on this lake are extremely shifty, again, not a wave builder. All of this adds up to short intermittent bursts of wind in the higher register and that's why my runs are usually only 10 - 20 seconds long and no trapeze.

Folks sailing in the same wind velocities in larger bodies of water are at a disadvantage speed wise as the large waves slow the boat down tremendously. I started cat sailing on Lake Erie near Cleveland Ohio and I completely understand what you are describing on your lake. Lake Erie is +- 800 X 110 miles with an average depth of 30 ft.. In 20 mph winds the waves would be 2 - 5 ft. and virtually impossible to trap in with a very rough ride.

--
Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
MacGregor 25 (formerly)
NACRA 5.0 (currently)
High Point, NC
--
leeboweffect
MN3love your videos!

Thanks, they're fun to make and are hopefully both mildly entertaining and helpful.

More fun for us when you have your other crew (sorry gary)
MN3More fun for us when you have your other crew (sorry gary)

I'll be sure and let them both know...hahahahahahahah Don't think Gary is going to start shaving his legs...hahahahahahahah

--
Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
MacGregor 25 (formerly)
NACRA 5.0 (currently)
High Point, NC
--