Lexus RX300 Tow Vehicle?

So, my Dad has gifted me a 2000 Lexus RX300. It has a towing package and has a V6 and is front wheel drive, not the all wheel drive version. I was wondering if anyone has ever used a vehicle like this to tow with? I think it would make a good tow vehicle, I have been towing with a 2006 Nissan Quest but I think the Lexus may become my primary tow vehicle. Any thoughts on this are welcome. Thanks.

--
Marty
1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
--
Had a Mazda MPV van... 3.0L V6 front wheel drive with a five speed transmission... Towed a Prindle 18 and a NACRA 5.8 with never a problem. But I would recommend changing out the transmission fluid if it has never been done....

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
i used my 2004 ls 330 on the beach for 9 years.
i purchased it from my step-mothers dealer in nj. flew home and drove it to fl with dad.

it was fine. had 1 highway trip n for 100 miles to the ceder key small boat fest with my mystere 5.5
never a problem at all

except: it did not handle the heat and salt water - after 9 years here ALL the plastic parts were failing (shock covers to gaskets - to seals, et al ...

http://asnstudios.com/images/yoke3.jpg

Edited by MN3 on Jun 11, 2019 - 11:09 AM.
I just towed the F18 400 miles on I-95 with my 05' Toyota Corolla. Manual tranny and TRD springs (stiffer) but otherwise stock car with an I4 that barely makes 125 hp. V6 RX300 with tow prep package? It won't even know the boat is there...most of our trailer setups are under 1000 lbs. If you're towing multiple boats or hauling heavy loads then start to look in the manual...
I towed a Hobie 16 stacked on top of a Gcat 5.7 with a stack of spare parts and camping gear 1500 miles round trip with a 4cylinder CRV. Gas mileage was cut in half probably due to wind resistance but other than that no problems. Towing a Hobie 16 with a V6 will be a non issue. If you want to keep it nice, keep towing with the quest. Nothing like blood, salt and sand to depreciate a car
With cats not so much the weight as the windage.

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
--
We currently tow the Dart on an aluminum trailer with an RX350 with the tow package. It tows it just fine. We've even towed the Dart with our daughter's 2003 RAV4, which has a tiny engine. I don't know if I'd use the RAV4 on the highway, but around town it was just fine. You'll be fine with an RX300.

--
Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
--
my first tow vehicle.....1976 MGB, it didn't like it much, 300 miles round trip to the coast every weekend.
boat and trailer have outlasted the MG and four SUV's now onto a Volvo XC70
Wow, when we lived in Destin my Mom had a brand new 1977 MGB that had every option available, wire wheels, snugtop hardtop with sunroof, luggage rack, electric OD and an 8-track player!!! Man that was a fun car to ride around in for sure which somewhat inspired me to get a 1976 Triumph TR6 as my first car.

--
Marty
1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
--
http://www.stilettocatamarans.com/images/asembly/assembly1bm%20(Large).jpg
martyrWow, when we lived in Destin my Mom had a brand new 1977 MGB that had every option available, wire wheels, snugtop hardtop with sunroof, luggage rack, electric OD and an 8-track player!!! Man that was a fun car to ride around in for sure which somewhat inspired me to get a 1976 Triumph TR6 as my first car.

Was saving up to get a Triumph Spitfire... went to the dealership and my dad to one look at it and said no way... ended up getting a 74 VW Bus with the Porsche 1.8L pancake engine in it...

Probably one of my better decisions in life...

This.... this is so wrong in so many ways

ziper1221http://www.stilettocatamarans.com/images/asembly/assembly1bm%20(Large).jpg

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
QuoteThis.... this is so wrong in so many ways

what could possibly go wrong?