New Sunscreen???

Some of the pro sailors have white sunscreen on their faces? Is that some new sun screen? Anyone know details?

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
Zinc oxide. Probably a sunBLOCK. Like zinca nosecote.

You can get good zinc sunscreens as lotions and creams, transparent or tinted. I prefer solbar products, for on the water.

Neutrogena and others make new sunscreen speedsticks (like anti-perspirants) which are very easy to apply on the water, even when wet. For your face and neck. They work great around beards and hairlines.

It’s the only product I can apply one-handed, while on the wire! icon_cool

--
Prindle 18
--
Definitely Zinc Oxide. It's a must have in my house.
Wearing compression long sleeve, pants and boots takes care of everything else.
You only make the mistake of applying SPF 50+ to your face once...

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
'02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
--
QuoteNeutrogena and others make new sunscreen speedsticks (like anti-perspirants) which are very easy to apply on the water,

Caution when using on legs - i used this one time on my legs and slipped right off my cat in a strong gybe
(pretty sharky part of the gulf too - right between some barrier islands that are know to have lots of sharks - was pretty exciting

QuoteYou only make the mistake of applying SPF 50+ to your face once...

why is that? i use 50+ all the time
MN3why is that? i use 50+ all the time

It burns. We put it on everyone at a water park a few years back and it got interesting trying to calm a screaming 4 year old and 7 year old while trying to wipe it off their faces and dealing with your own.
Maybe it was the brand/ingredients/etc...
I won't take the chance again.

Edited by badfish on Jun 04, 2019 - 10:16 AM.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
'02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
--
QuoteIt burns.

QuoteIt burns.

for me - only burns in the eyes - so i don't ever put it on my forehead or it will drip down with sweat later
I use Neutrogena 55 or no-ad 50
bullfrog is the worst for eyes - it burns much worse than any other i have tried

ymmv
badfishDefinitely Zinc Oxide. It's a must have in my house.
Wearing compression long sleeve, pants and boots takes care of everything else.
You only make the mistake of applying SPF 50+ to your face once...

I wear spf 50+ all the time on my face

--
Captain Chris Holley
Fulshear, TX
'87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
'74 sunfish "1fish"
--
Caution when using on legs - i used this one time on my legs and slipped right off my cat in a strong gybe
(pretty sharky part of the gulf too - right between some barrier islands that are know to have lots of sharks - was pretty exciting

Andrew,

Which ones? I've sailed out of Honeymoon on a couple of machos and day sails and wasn't aware.

thanks

--
Forrest
I-20 USA-645
Hernando, Florida
"There's not enough rum in the drum"
--
QuoteCaution when using on legs - i used this one time on my legs and slipped right off my cat in a strong gybe

Andrew,

Which ones? I've sailed out of Honeymoon on a couple of machos and day sails and wasn't aware.

thanks

--
Forrest
I-20 USA-645
Hernando, Florida
"There's not enough rum in the drum"
--
this happened between three rooker (the island just north of the causeway/honeymoon island) and anclote
so 10 miles north of the causeway (est)

I held on to my mainsheet and the boat started to round up/capsize
i was able to grab a rudder and turn it from the water and saved the flip.
i got on the boat VERY fast . :)

they catch bull sharks while night fishing at honeymoon island and we had a rehabbed dolphin release at the causeway go bad a few years ago - (attacked by sharks). they "saved it" and drove 5 miles south and re- released it at the seminal boat ramp. where it was immediately decapitated by a bull shark. (they then went and retrieved the remains so they could do a necropsy on it ...lol)

Last time i was up at anclote we watched a few sharks in a little feeding frenzy about 30' behind where our boats were anchored

and we get hammer head migrations of 1000's at a time
I’m thinking a shark-repellent sunscreen would sell extremely well. (Send my royalty checks to the Tiki Bar at our club). icon_wink

As long as we are wildly off topic, the mature hammerheads are rarely a threat, but the pups can be pretty aggressive. Pearl Harbor and Kaneohe Bay are major breeding grounds. They are often seen here, basking in a few inches of water, along the shoreline and marinas. I really doesn’t inspire confidence, when you surf, dive or turtle.

--
Prindle 18
--
For the face I use this stuff.... zinc free won't sting the eyes... other parts I just use any 50 spf... Having that stuff get in my eyes cost me a race once...

https://www.headhuntersurf.com/collections/sunscreen/products/spf-30-lifestyle-surf-sport-clear

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
I just snagged one of these as "sunscreen," especially for neck protection, but also side of face, ears and forehead, because on really sunny days most real sunscreen wasn't sufficiently cutting it:

https://us.oneill.com/pro…d?variant=19143708180549

The sewn in visor sits low over your eyes, shielding your eyes & protecting your forehead, and can never be blown away. You can pull it off anytime w/o losing it. If you really wanted to, you could even cinch the material up so it covers your lips and the only thing left exposed is your eyes and nose.

I don't expect to wear it with the hood up all the time, but my neck will always be covered and the hood can be put up and down as needed to reduce exposure. Will still need real sunscreen on the face obviously.

Edited by CatFan57 on Jun 06, 2019 - 07:48 PM.

--
1998 P18.2
Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
--
these days: when I sail I cover most skin (but still use sunscreen)

I wear:
sailing hat with neck cover
wrap around sun glasses
stalker mask over lower face
long sleeve quick dry shirt and pants
wet shoes and sail gloves
I try not to wear masks near the marine base here. Seriously. ninja

Long surf trunks, knee guards and water shoes cover most of my legs. It's hard to find saltwater-friendly pants that dry quickly and don't make you hypothermic. Any suggestions?

--
Prindle 18
--
I like these -
quick dry, zip off legs (nice for the drive home), UPF 50
https://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/ColumbiaSportswear2/AM8004_160_f?$COL_SUP8070_grid$
https://www.columbia.com/mens-convertible-pants/
Thanks. These look interesting too - with reinforced butt and knees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90bbK7Tap5U
https://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/ColumbiaSportswear2/1707781_020_f?wid=767&hei=767&fmt=jpeg&qlt=80,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1,1,6,0&iccEmbed=0
https://www.columbia.com/…fg&crid=men-text&start=0

Convertible is a good option though.

--
Prindle 18
--
nohuhuI try not to wear masks near the marine base here. Seriously. ninja

Know the feeling. We're near the Naval Weapons Station pier where they load weapons from the armory onto the ships and have been informed if we get within the standoff buoys they might fire on us. Tends to raise your blood pressure when you've flipped and are drifting towards the pier while having a hard time righting.

--
1998 P18.2
Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
--
nohuhuLong surf trunks, knee guards and water shoes cover most of my legs.

Noticing you guys mentioning using water shoes (as opposed to sailing booties), and also seeing guys using them in videos. Any particular reason you guys like water shoes over booties? I'm assuming they may have a thicker sole(?) and wonder if you're finding that of some benefit.

Edited by CatFan57 on Jun 07, 2019 - 08:27 PM.

--
1998 P18.2
Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
--
LOTS of reefs and rocky beach landings.

I usually wear good reef walkers like speedos, or good dive booties with thick soles. They disintegrate quickly out here and rarely last a year. $$$

So I have a couple pairs of lace-able water shoes w soft, non-marking soles for trapping out and not damaging the hulls. I prefer these for racing and exploring.

Edited by nohuhu on Jun 07, 2019 - 06:34 PM.

--
Prindle 18
--
QuoteI try not to wear masks near the marine base here. Seriously.

probably a good call hahah

pengpeng hammer bang mg rambo
QuoteAny particular reason you guys like water shoes over booties? I'm assuming they may have a thicker sole(?) and wonder if you're finding that of some benefit.

multiple reasons for me:
booties are very swampy to wear in warm weather (wet, hot, humid, etc) - so they aren't really an option here in 91* water

since i will be in /around water for 6 - 10 hours, i want my feet (and pants, and gloves) as dry as possible- i find (some) water shoes drain well - however they all suck at preventing little rocks and shells from getting in. then some of these particles find their way onto the tramp, and then ... on your knees

i have found bootie sole's don't hold up well with all the stops/walks we do in our sailing (we race island to island and then hang out for a bit

we have lots of sharp oysters around here - and other sea shells. I have seen (had) them go right through bootie soles

the booties i used to use in winter sailing required a support team to remove at the end of the day - and my team all quit - i no longer sail unless its 65* and sunny. I have a dry bib for when the gulf gets to a brisk temp.
Thanks for the replies about the lace-up water shoes guys, now I get it.

MN3the booties i used to use in winter sailing required a support team to remove at the end of the day - and my team all quit.

Hmm, hard to imagine why a team would quit if this job was part of the post-sail. icon_confused /sarc

Edited by CatFan57 on Jun 12, 2019 - 03:18 AM.

--
1998 P18.2
Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
--