Which Bale/Tang to Hang Upper Block?

So now that I have a low profile 6:1 for my boat, I am wanting to know which boom bale/tang do I hang the upper block from as my boom has two, of course, that held the two blocks for the old 5:1 set up. I assume that I would hang it from the one that is the farthest aft, or being that they are fairly close together, does it matter? Thanks for any help answering my question.

Edited by martyr on May 16, 2019 - 01:16 AM.

--
Marty
1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
--
Probably doesn’t matter much, but I’ve always seen them hung from the aft bale. This will help push the boom forward when you sheet in to force the mast to rotate.

sm
If you hang it from the forward one it will be easier to swing the tiller around during a tack.
Sounds like both locations have their advantages so I will try both and see which I prefer. Thanks for the responses.

--
Marty
--
Anything less than straight inline works your traveler car wheels and track (if you have a roller type car)

Prob not a big issue on a hobie16 but a big issue on cats w and x track built into the beam

Edited by MN3 on May 16, 2019 - 11:54 AM.
I have the standard issue traveler car. I will try the aft bale to begin with and see how that works. Heading down to Okaloosa Island this weekend and will be down there knocking around in the gulf and bay for the week. So excited!!!

--
Marty
--
I'm certain that your aft bail is closest to the bail on newer booms that only have one. As Dogboy says (I say that a lot!), using the aft bail will cause the boom to help keep the mast rotated properly and held against the stop. You probably won't notice any performance difference, but in the chop it helps keep the mast from oscillating toward center then banging against the stop.

Enjoy your vacation....lots of great places to sail on the Panhandle.....always surprised at the lack of cats on the water there.

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
So true, there are no cats on the beach and there is very limited access to actually launch from the beach. I had a lifeguard tell me that launching of boats from the beach is not allowed on the island because of the safety of swimmers. The same lifeguard also didn't even know what a Hobie Cat was, when I was talking to her about it, she asked if it was a jet ski, she was cute though and very tan!!! I grew up here and I remember Hobie 16s lining the beach back in the day. It has been very crowded on the island the past two days and I haven't tried to beach launch because of the abundance of rental beach chairs and umbrellas but Monday morning I am getting an early start and gonna launch from the beach before they start setting up all those chairs. Being Monday, I am also hoping the crowds have all gone back home until the next weekend.

--
Marty
--