Exercises to get fit enough for regatta?

Hi,

Got my first regatta at the end of the year and whilst I dont expect to be very competitive, as an unfit middle aged man it would be nice to have enough fitness to get thru 4 days of singlehanded sailing.

I have started cycling again (20km / 12miles, 1-2 times a week) to help general cardio and legs but what would be good arm exercises for all that helm and trimming work?

I am not the gym going type or looking to become one so looking for something i could do at home etc. I have limited opportunities to get out on the cat, but could start using my Laser again more often, would that be totally the wrong muscle groups as hike vs trap?

Thanks

Anthony
I find that I tax my core and back muscles more than my arms or legs. I recommend doing some core exercises.

--
Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
--
Rowing is good, and throw in some leg presses to strengthen quads used to extend out on a trapeze. I think squats are frowned on these days, but that is the action needed to press off the boat. Don't discount the importance of flexibility and balance. For arm strength, be sure to mix in lifting some beers in a heavy glass. icon_cool

--
Tom
NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
Pennsylvania
--
Push ups, sit ups, chin ups, cardio, and stretching and/or yoga... don't need to belong to a gym for this..

tominpaI think squats are frowned on these days, but that is the action needed to press off the boat

As long as you're not squatting 50% more than your own weight.. Squatting with no weight and holding for a minute is also a good way to stretch out and strengthen your lower back..

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
Thank you for posting this, great subject. My bro-in-law recently gave me a Bowflex Revolution and I have been doing chest flys and crunches along with some bicep curls.

--
Marty
1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
--
JohnESPush ups, sit ups, chin ups, cardio, and stretching and/or yoga... don't need to belong to a gym for this..

tominpaI think squats are frowned on these days, but that is the action needed to press off the boat

As long as you're not squatting 50% more than your own weight.. Squatting with no weight and holding for a minute is also a good way to stretch out and strengthen your lower back..

Since this is a strength area I would like to personally improve, I am thinking about anchoring an eye bolt to a wall, and attaching a wire and hook to simulate the trapeze motion. I think pushing off from the floor/wall in reps could help with balance and building the muscle groups needed for trapeze works. What do you think?

--
Tom
NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
Pennsylvania
--
tominpa
Since this is a strength area I would like to personally improve, I am thinking about anchoring an eye bolt to a wall, and attaching a wire and hook to simulate the trapeze motion. I think pushing off from the floor/wall in reps could help with balance and building the muscle groups needed for trapeze works. What do you think?

I seem to remember seeing a video of one of the olympic teams setting up something like this.. but it was more of a free standing rig so they could practice with both legs..

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
Cycling is good but should be at least 3 times per week. If using a road bike (more of a leaned over position) this also builds your core muscles and arms as you are supporting part of your upper body. Stretching helps a lot as you must be nimble on the trap and often sitting in a flexible positions. You can also use them stretchy rubber bands with handles (get cheep in exercise dept of most stores) to pull on to simulate sheeting it.
Aerobic HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)
This is what I have found always gets me. Short Periods of extreme exertion followed by long periods of mild-medium exertion, right back to short bursts of high exertion.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
'02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
--
tominpaSince this is a strength area I would like to personally improve, I am thinking about anchoring an eye bolt to a wall, and attaching a wire and hook to simulate the trapeze motion.

Tom, when you do this, please make sure to use through bolts with nuts and a washer on the back side (even the horizontal ones).
I had to take someone to the ER with serious injuries after the lag-style eyebolt holding him up failed (pulled out) during his routine. He thought a 4 inch lag bolt in a 6 x 8 post would be secure enough. He was lucky he didn't break his hip falling like that.

dartsailorsI find that I tax my core and back muscles more than my arms or legs. I recommend doing some core exercises.

Agreed.
Aquaaddict, I think your biking will prep your legs for trapeze work. Core and upper body strength are equally important. There are workout guides for both all over the net. Search for separate 30 minute workouts for core and upper body, and alternate daily in addition to/separate from your cycling. It will also keep it interesting. One day a week off is of documented benefit as well.

You are doing the smart thing here. Good luck!

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--