Custom graphics, what to use?

My new to me P16 will be getting her new name soon and due to color choice, I am debating about switching the Prindle logo and the registration numbers to match. I have a circut vinyl cutter and have plenty of practice with it, my question is for those of you who’ve done custom graphics, what vinyl did you use? Oracle 651 seems popular but is that the right stuff to use? Would it work on the Dacron sails as well?

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
'02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
--
I am so lame, I just used new OEM graphics and changed 570 to 5.7. The graphics cutter sounds like a great toy! The possibilities are endless.

https://i.imgur.com/WfwmFmA.jpg

--
Tom
NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
Pennsylvania
--
tominpaI am so lame, I just used new OEM graphics and changed 570 to 5.7. The graphics cutter sounds like a great toy! The possibilities are endless.

https://i.imgur.com/WfwmFmA.jpg

Tell me about it. My wife has “customized” everything we own...
It’s like a 5 year old with a labeler.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
Oracal is fine; just avoid red and clean the hull really well. MY wife's gotten ridiculously good with a vinyl cutter also, but its the Silhouette. Same capacity as the Cricut. I've got a 36" cutter at work and use mostly 3M vinyl, but the Oracal seems to be just as good, but a LOT cheaper. Both seem to weather UV for a few years, except for red and yellow for some reason.
The stuff for sails is different and seems to be made of cloth. Haven't found, or really looked for it yet. Guessing Reese Supply in Houston might have it???? Let me know what you find-I need to cut some sail graphics as well.

Chuck

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--
charlescarlisOracal is fine; just avoid red and clean the hull really well. MY wife's gotten ridiculously good with a vinyl cutter also, but its the Silhouette. Same capacity as the Cricut. I've got a 36" cutter at work and use mostly 3M vinyl, but the Oracal seems to be just as good, but a LOT cheaper. Both seem to weather UV for a few years, except for red and yellow for some reason.
The stuff for sails is different and seems to be made of cloth. Haven't found, or really looked for it yet. Guessing Reese Supply in Houston might have it???? Let me know what you find-I need to cut some sail graphics as well.

Chuck

Avoid the red because of fading? My color isn’t red, but rather an orange.
I’ve heard you can buy rolls of Insignia adhesive backed fabric for the sails.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
info@sailrite.com
Sail Logos & Numbers

PRIMARY COLOR
Blacks
Blues
Greens
Reds
Whites

Insignia Adhesive Backed Black 54" Fabric
$22.95/YD

Insignia Adhesive Backed Green 54" Fabric
$22.95/YD

Insignia Adhesive Backed White 54" Fabric
$22.95/YD

Insignia Adhesive Backed Red 54" Fabric
$22.95/YD

Sailrite offer different colors....

--
Bill 404 21SE
--
Thanks for posting, Bill

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
Yeah - the fading in red seems to be a problem after a year or so. Don't know about orange, though we have a ton or burnt orange around here that doesn't seem to fade icon_smile I work at UT.

Wow! 22.95/yard is kind of pricey, but you should only need a couple yards, so...

Guess it's not like it's sold much: not a high demand for it, I guess. Vinyl on the other hand is cheap for the good stuff.

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--