Coolers

I am looking for ways to tie down 2 coolers on a Getaway/wings. Was thinking of mounting pad eyes just in front of the wings to tie the coolers to one on each hull. How do you carry your coolers?

--
Larry
Mirage Tandem Island -sold
Hobie Bravo -sold
1979 Prindle 18 Sold
2019 Hobie Getaway
Polk City, Florida
--
larryhtsI am looking for ways to tie down 2 coolers on a Getaway/wings. Was thinking of mounting pad eyes just in front of the wings to tie the coolers to one on each hull. How do you carry your coolers?

Would putting them just behind the front crossbar be better? Then you could tie it back to the wing and forward to the front crossbar. It’s not going anywhere at that point and if the right size, wouldn’t inhibit the use of the wings. Just thinking of another option rather than adding hardware. The P16 has massive ports, thinking I need some of those port bags to store a few drinks.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
'02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
--
larryhtsI am looking for ways to tie down 2 coolers on a Getaway/wings. Was thinking of mounting pad eyes just in front of the wings to tie the coolers to one on each hull. How do you carry your coolers?

First of all I think the need for 2 coolers is quite impressive all by itself. But, the best feature of the Getaway is the front trampoline. Does your Getaway have the (optional) front trampoline?

If not, it is available at Murrays:

https://www.murrays.com/product/50-37980055/

I think this is the best option to carry 2 coolers and still maintain decent balance on the boat.

Good Luck!

Brad
Jax
Stiletto 27 on a 2 year plan

Edited by bradinjax on Mar 20, 2019 - 08:38 AM.

2 coolers?
how much weight (edit food) do you need here? lunch and drinks for 4? -
a weekend's worth for 4?

IMHO:
if your goal is pure comfort .. sure put em on the wings
if your goal is speed with a cool beverage close : place them low and reduce the windage and weight aloft

I simply lash my cooler strap to my boom up front - this makes it avail at all times from either side. i carry pretty small coolers, less windage, less weigh, less issue if i capsize

i would certainly not add an eyestrap anywhere to accommodate a cooler. no need to put holes in metal for this - just use coolers that you can secure with a line or 2

Edited by MN3 on Mar 20, 2019 - 12:58 PM.
badfish

Would putting them just behind the front crossbar be better? Then you could tie it back to the wing and forward to the front crossbar. It’s not going anywhere at that point and if the right size, wouldn’t inhibit the use of the wings. Just thinking of another option rather than adding hardware. The P16 has massive ports, thinking I need some of those port bags to store a few drinks.

With the P-16 or 18, I had thought about building a cooler in the hulls with the inspection port as the lid. Put a drain plug in the bottom where it can drain into the hulls when you are ready to drain it. Or, build some insulated port bags...

--
Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
Nacra 5.0
Nacra 5.8
Tornadoes (Reg White)
--
"With the P-16 or 18, I had thought about building a cooler in the hulls with the inspection port as the lid. Put a drain plug in the bottom where it can drain into the hulls when you are ready to drain it. Or, build some insulated port bags..."

I wouldn't
you are inviting (guaranteeing) moisture buildup inside your hull walls
texastuma
With the P-16 or 18, I had thought about building a cooler in the hulls with the inspection port as the lid. Put a drain plug in the bottom where it can drain into the hulls when you are ready to drain it. Or, build some insulated port bags...

I was thinking insulated port bags. Just enough to hold a few cold drinks. I have some hard cylinder storage containers of some sort now but I am not a fan of them banging around inside the hulls. Thinking a couple small drybags and cannibalizing a few of those grocery store insulated bags to create a liner. Take them out and store them in the box when not in use.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
'02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
--
I just did 5 days in the Everglades\Keys with just one cooler for 4 people, dry ice is amazing, although expensive. Just used it for evening meals and a bottle of rum, wasn't being opened and closed a lot throughout the day. Front tramp as close to middle crossbeam as possible is what works for me on my Gcat 5.7. I agree with others about not drilling into the boat or storing inside hulls, just an invitation for problems down the road although my guess is the Getaway hull construction is less susceptible to the same issues as us with fiberglass laminated boats.
jalexI just did 5 days in the Everglades\Keys with just one cooler for 4 people, dry ice is amazing, although expensive. Just used it for evening meals and a bottle of rum, wasn't being opened and closed a lot throughout the day. Front tramp as close to middle crossbeam as possible is what works for me on my Gcat 5.7. I agree with others about not drilling into the boat or storing inside hulls, just an invitation for problems down the road although my guess is the Getaway hull construction is less susceptible to the same issues as us with fiberglass laminated boats.

Edited by bradinjax on Mar 27, 2019 - 10:12 AM.
jalexI just did 5 days in the Everglades\Keys with just one cooler for 4 people, dry ice is amazing, although expensive. Just used it for evening meals and a bottle of rum, wasn't being opened and closed a lot throughout the day. Front tramp as close to middle crossbeam as possible is what works for me on my Gcat 5.7. I agree with others about not drilling into the boat or storing inside hulls, just an invitation for problems down the road although my guess is the Getaway hull construction is less susceptible to the same issues as us with fiberglass laminated boats.

I do not think there are many people that would do 4 people for 5 days on an 18 ft catamaran in the Keys. Many congratulations for that effort but I am thinking there has to be a few stories in there. Probably some lessons learned as well. Please share.

Edited by bradinjax on Mar 27, 2019 - 10:13 AM.
QuoteI do not think there are many people that would do 4 people for 5 days on an 18 ft catamaran in the Keys. Many congratulations for that effort but I am thinking there has to be a few stories in there. Probably some lessons learned as well. Please share.

Sorry, full discloser is it was 4 people, 2 boats, one cooler, but the cooler did provide for the 4 people, even though it was only on one of the boats.

Great trip, even with boardless cats Florida Bay is not easy. Staying to the west of everything you are fine but we went inside to camp on Rabbit Key and it was super shallow and not easy footing. Gorgeous sail though, lots of wildlife. I had a clevis pin fail or slip out in light wind on Rabbit Key and the rig toppled, it was very strange. No damage to the rig and we restepped it and put in a new pin and no more problems. Once we got south of Islamorada it was a cake walk. Plenty of water depth on the Gulfside at that point. Winds in the mid teens out of the North\Northwest all the way to Key West, crossed from Gulf side to Atlantic side south of Marathon, no problem. We took a zero mile day on Tuesday as it was supposed to blowing above 30, I don't think it did but better safe than sorry. We did hear over VHF that monohull snapped her mast and couldn't get her anchor to hold. They were eventually towed in. We packed light but not as light as we could of. The Gcat 5.7 did well as expected, the Hobie 16 did fine but its crew wanted to use and 18 foot boat next time. Worst part of the whole trip was trailering the cats double stacked across all the Key bridges in a cross wind, and then Miami traffic. It took me 16 hours to get from Key West to Tallahassee.

The Keys are not super Cat friendly. Not really a lot of beach to land and even then its private property and people don't want you there. I brought my beach wheels on the bows and would land at boat ramps and then wheel the cats in to parking places for the night. Worked great, not sure what I would have done if I had not brought them.

This was not my first cat camping trip, but my first week long one. Other than the cooler and double burner propane stove it was pretty much all backpacking gear which kept weight and volume low. I would do it again, and probably will
Taking the Trax was a good idea. Most of us would not want to carry them, but it can sure make a difference when moorings are uncertain. Got pics?

--
Tom
NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
Pennsylvania
--
QuoteGot pics?

https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=131092

Here are a few I put in an album, I couldn't get them to post in the forum.

You can see how well the beach wheels stored on the bow, and we were able to pitch 2 tents on the Gcats 2 tramps which really worked well, I am usually a hammock camper but there was shortage of trees on this trip.

It probably looks like a lot of gear on the front tramp, but other than the cooler it was all lightweight stuff, and as close to the midbeam as possible so no real adverse impact.

Was not my first time stacking my cats on the trailer but certainly my first time doing a 1500 mile round trip with them. No real problems but still nerve racking.

Edited by jalex on Mar 28, 2019 - 10:35 AM.
jalex
QuoteGot pics?

https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=131092

Here are a few I put in an album, I couldn't get them to post in the forum.

You can see how well the beach wheels stored on the bow, and we were able to pitch 2 tents on the Gcats 2 tramps which really worked well, I am usually a hammock camper but there was shortage of trees on this trip.

It probably looks like a lot of gear on the front tramp, but other than the cooler it was all lightweight stuff, and as close to the midbeam as possible so no real adverse impact.

Was not my first time stacking my cats on the trailer but certainly my first time doing a 1500 mile round trip with them. No real problems but still nerve racking.Edited by jalex on Mar 28, 2019 - 10:35 AM.

Photo Assist:

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131137&g2_serialNumber=4

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131140&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by tominpa on Mar 28, 2019 - 01:03 PM.

--
Tom
NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
Pennsylvania
--
Tom,

Great trip! Thanks for adding the photos. Taking pictures with your phone embeds geo info, check this out

First photo
https://tools.wmflabs.org…ams=25.063606;-80.829964

Second photo
https://tools.wmflabs.org…ams=25.135881;-80.898767

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/O6VAwQer9SZyo5l3dGVdSiNB4kvdTf4lh2xHylSX1wKQvokHPk5mOBfpLJATWIyFIIyhy1j6muiEs6NtwgOgJfRc0oN4_c1iyittcFEk5vnWp1DktUDMIhZlhNNSPHxM4xftI_Ngw1sF6UXeE0-DCQwSc_isI-ldcXv3IMkaYmOrIZ-5DsyNZgxMEAPQ3fv-n-VAWPSpmvWJcMsp65MfTUZhEiWfRyUoeMKUWROu5k8i0xlqsmTSb4j1oiAK5J-YS0-d8lGpuW0tow40zmw-zycxFwxR2zptsq1kJxn8aGSL3Q2PVKvsIcY6Ca21jZ174HtjKU_E6LIKbtLy_jBijcYn16OtTf-g1LRETlri6wSPorEfWnSSnSPFn5jkSRjMxbaOGrAyUviraemGlsUzOzuguuCH8x5CgXhUxmTKCkLDUnjBI4gmLo6_4bn0Fn35h7ZT_6j5wJsng8Jd1OrIgOaWmjhrnneRPJcfa3mEIKub7yV8PAoVTzU0m4iR_84q1s2SbsM7WW0gUTVnu-lTOr1s5eC2tHycKdXCC5hawsRzbxy5Ku2-O7s-TVOv0lXKNq75ufU3qYQixxEB6yJmG3TmYK10SatGX2rCeNWLfS0SszVozgHqShUDMBqXlETUBMEbJWT5Yn_qCV7HFFGSgVjbNeOvmPE=w1090-h613-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/rIlgwLr11cQvnpMMrHOqY-Q-f2gOg6fYEm3HmPkIg0vDng9P5xRGFbBfWMKQIQKPPHxhhxLl7VReLy9qDUtXDqy_fsYoy06t4oDUSvgsFWFDoLehOYnICSr1ChZNXA3NKAEekWeWNcaQfVmZ4KQnqj1opmcj9mieHT_BFvbCyKIvgr7Z2166ckDb5sC51m4SrsqYhQlfHX9NNibU-p7AHNvX3ftAo4RutiYWm4LI7rypTSHCypzeigPGrSByJZnYeVCp9mhGUGtJJ4KyfHuMKytDKafU4FQDj50KppkAHx6OlIEimvYk4KbJ8QhclXOOnqjsetKLr4oIWz4zGExAUEFYNyz4JRkZ8OyAIcxrrv82aMCeK7AdevDzCu-I5bvVY69qycWUGEkooTjqx85vrNIqLAMQxiH4S1-eLJhoOGQ970EfG79fOjXmZlQPFY7vDeKoZuchOLg83z8H9PCMOhsySxrCwezbzHGEL0kFx56FdNcQG-l7GMkLVO6KykYbW4HavkGZIEWu_7N7VK-qoVtXjUgB7mV6B9rBL63JDn2AcEeRubRldigodBkBstUDwLqHkxdZuf6FwlMiwToxrFFYjOtS8JpfRY05nV9um26kJW6kce8SxUAToPwynhuJ2gi4Xwfk481USZ7brjMpxx2VPlthEug=w1090-h613-no

What I came up with so far.

--
Larry
Mirage Tandem Island -sold
Hobie Bravo -sold
1979 Prindle 18 Sold
2019 Hobie Getaway
Polk City, Florida
--