Sail box storage

My new-to-me Nacra 5.0 has a custom welded aluminum sail box with a fully hinged lid. In it are the sails, harnesses, life jackets, small tackle box of pins, etc. Every time I open the box the sail bag feels...not super dry. Should these boxes have some louvered vents? In Mobile we have dew every morning and I'd bet the box is condensing inside. Nothing is growing inside and there are no smells.

--
FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
--
I have a fiberglass box for storage.
I had the same issue with dampness and it kept me from using the box for continuous storage. I only use it while trailering, for storage, and I did end up putting some soffit vents in on the vertical sides. I don’t launch with it, as I use beach wheels, so no seawater coming in, and the vents are angled down, so typical rainwater doesn’t blow in.
Hated to cut into it to install the vents, but it has kept my sails “dryer” while trailering. Most of the time I am mast up on my beach, so sails get stored in garage.

--
Supercat 15
Windrider 17
Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
--
They do tend to do that.
My general rule is fabrics/sails don't stay in the box.
Venting will help, but once moisture gets in, it'll have to evaporate out.
Note, if you do cut vents, ensure you have some window screen or something to keep the bugs out.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
'02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
--
Not sure how much vents will help, but I would just try to make sure everything is as dry as possible before putting in the box. One pair of wet sailing gloves or mainsheet system tossed in the box will hold plenty of moisture to make things damp/musty. If you sail in salt water, storing things wet will accelerate corrosion. If you sail in fresh water, corrosion will be less of an issue, but you could see some mold develop on your sails if they’re put away wet.

sm
I put a few vents in my sail box
helped to remove moisture
i put them on 2 sides (front /back) so air could flow in and out

next time i do it i will just drill a dozen small holes or so and cover that with some bug screen

this is the type of vent i used
https://newcontent.westmarine.com/content/images/catalog/large/281850.jpg
Dogboy If you sail in fresh water, corrosion will be less of an issue, but you could see some mold develop on your sails if they’re put away wet.

When you come home from sailing, string up your sails and anything else that got wet and hose it down with fresh water. Then be sure it completely dries in the sun. This may include your boom, tiller extender and your rudders. In fresh or salt water, everything will last longer if you eliminate as much of the contaminants as you can.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=130851
Hanging up to dry is not a problem with an 8ft fence. I emptied my sail box and will relocate it out from under the cat. That will allow for the sun to heat it up during the day and should keep everything crispy. I will resist putting in wet items. I will also put in some vents. Thanks!

--
FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
--
RCH701Hanging up to dry is not a problem with an 8ft fence.

I use chairs, trees, a patio pillar, and a boulder to string mine up.
https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=130857

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
when sailing in salt water - rinsing alone wont cut it
you really need to touch all surfaces with soap and sponge. otherwise you are just rinsing off surface debris and will leave salt on the surface where it will "do no good"

in fresh water ... not sure what rinsing off with more fresh water will do ... but really ... no clue as i live on the gulf coast and haven't sailed in fresh water since i was 12 at camp in PA
I have to check this box.
How about a little solar powered vent fan?

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
ctcatamanHow about a little solar powered vent fan?

that would be great! (although my boats are under tarp)