Nautos mainsheet system?

Anyone have any expierence with Nautos 6:1 mainsheet system? Looks like quality stuff, at least a 1/3 cheaper than Harken. I know I’m giving up the American made aspect
Great timing!

I recently bought this exact product for my boat and ended up buying the Harken 6:1 at West Marine. Now that WM has an online price match guarantee I only ended up paying around 300$ total for both pieces.

If you drill down into the specifications and do an apples to apples comparison you can see the Nautos is just not as good as the Harken with the biggest spec difference being breaking load at 2300lbs for Nautos and 4500lbs for Harken.

Nautos specs:

https://nautos-usa.com/pr…system-blocks-ultralight

Harken specs:

https://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?sku=2141

If you go with the Nautos please let us know how it works out

BW
When that Chinese knock off crap scatters to leeward one day on a screaming, trapped out, reach. You'll spit out a mouth full water and say. "Damn I wish I'd bought a Harken main sheet!"

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
--
I just broke a Harken which is why I’m in the market. I have been happy with some of my Ronstan stuff, and Nautos is out of Brazil which has some respectable manufacturing. Haven’t seen from or heard any other cat sailors using it though which may be all the info I need
JalexAnyone have any expierence with Nautos 6:1 mainsheet system? Looks like quality stuff, at least a 1/3 cheaper than Harken. I know I’m giving up the American made aspect

I've been running the Nautos 6:1 on my Nacra 5.0 for 3-1/2 seasons now with no problems of any kind. Note that the package includes the line. They're running 20% off right now (look at the top of the page) so you can get the system for right at $200. Also note that this is the system that currently ships with new Hobies using a 6:1.

IMHO Harken is no longer worth the premium.

https://nautos-usa.com/pr…l-set-of-blocks-and-rope

--
Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
MacGregor 25 (formerly)
Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
NACRA 5.0 (currently)
High Point, NC
--
I’ve broken harken stuff before. I’d have no problem going cheaper on the blocks but upgrading to a Harken cleat. On a 6:1 mainsheet you don’t need anywhere near 4500lb breaking load. I think the 2300lb load is more than enough.

I mean the 9:1 system I’m now running on my square is on a cascading system with a breaking load of 1700lbs using Selden blocks

Edited by tamumpower1 on Feb 17, 2019 - 03:37 PM.
tamumpower1On a 6:1 mainsheet you don’t need anywhere near 4500lb breaking load. I think the 2300lb load is more than enough.

+1

--
Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
MacGregor 25 (formerly)
Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
NACRA 5.0 (currently)
High Point, NC
--
Thanks guys, valuable info as always
I have heard decent reports from Nautos BUT:

I have had to send harken back my rachomatics 57's - 2x and they serviced them without question

first time the auto ratchet wasn't engaging (after a few years of use) - they replaced them no questions asked
the next time was about 8 years later - i wore out the bearings (sailed over 1000 days - prob closer to 2000)
they offered to replace them at no cost - but i upgraded to the next size for "cost" +10%= SWEEEET DEAL

is your brasilian company going to offer that kind of service and warrantee ?

I like RonStan but their working loads are usually about 20-30% lower thank harkens
since bearings are what usually wear out .. i will pay 20% more for longer service -
Also RonStan is an Australian company - I like to support American boat builders and suppliers when i can

also

HARKEN is an American company - I like to support American boat builders and suppliers when i can
I am thinking that if you laid a non branded Ronstan, Nautos, and Harken block out on a table you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
JohnESI am thinking that if you laid a non branded Ronstan, Nautos, and Harken block out on a table you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I could tell the difference blindfolded

Edited by MN3 on Feb 19, 2019 - 10:15 AM.
MN3
JohnESI am thinking that if you laid a non branded Ronstan, Nautos, and Harken block out on a table you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I could tell the difference blindfoldedEdited by MN3 on Feb 19, 2019 - 10:15 AM.

Agreed. Harken's service is outstanding but Ronstans is very good as well. They have a mainsheet system out of Ronstan Germany that is quite good, in between the Harken 10:1 and the Harken GP system at a price closer to the 10:1. It is based on Orbit 60's with an Ultimate Ratchet in the center. They look similar to this: https://www.ronstan.us/marine5/product.asp?ProdNo=RF72700B

For a 6:1 main, a Ronstan RF55310 triple up top and RF56330B triple ratchet below that would work perfectly. PM me if you want to go that route as I can help out on pricing to get you closer to Nautos.
MN3is your brasilian company going to offer that kind of service and warrantee ?

I have to interject here, as our world keeps changing.

Harken no longer offers a "lifetime guarantee." They may still honor your older pieces for a while, but it does not apply to new pieces. I love Harken's hardware, and most of what I have is Harken. They would not honor a warranty on pieces I purchased 5+ years ago. I spoke with them on the phone.

Dealers of hardware may still be saying that Harken has a "lifetime warranty", but they are not correct.

Nautos was started by Brazilian aerospace engineers, and for the record at this time, roughly 30% of Americans flying domestically are in Brazilian-built aircraft. They are the third largest provider of modern passenger aircraft on the planet.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
WARRANTY TERM. The limited PRIVATE CUSTOMER WARRANTY covers any original defects in material or workmanship manifested within five (5) years of the date of receipt of the product by the final customer.

Jib Reefing and Furling systems re warranted for seven (7) years.

https://www.harken.com/Warranty/

QuoteNautos was started by Brazilian aerospace engineers, and for the record at this time, roughly 30% of Americans flying domestically are in Brazilian-built aircraft. They are the third largest provider of modern passenger aircraft on the planet.

i don't know about their planes but they do a great butt lift

Edited by MN3 on Feb 19, 2019 - 12:33 PM.
MN3I could tell the difference blindfolded

I am sure you could... icon_lol

klozhald Nautos was started by Brazilian aerospace engineers, and for the record at this time, roughly 30% of Americans flying domestically are Brazilian-built aircraft. They are the third largest provider of modern passenger aircraft on the planet.

Good call Klozi... they were also the hub for Volkswagen manufacturing for the Americas... not to mention the hot bed for hot super models...

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
MN3

I could tell the difference blindfoldedEdited by MN3 on Feb 19, 2019 - 10:15 AM.

It all depends on the model. The lighter-weight higher performance models, you can feel the different shapes, and they have different dynamics when engaging the ratchet (if present) and behave slightly different when under load. Carbo-aero-ratchamatic.

You can also feel the change in weight in your wallet.

The general purpose blocks? They all roll alright, and with your eyes closed you'd have no idea! I have Nautos gear on my boats. Love it. The finicky high-performance lightweight ratcheting blocks, mostly Harken, some Ronstan.