What type of line for spin pull down (retrieval)?

Hi,

What type of line is best to use for spin pull down (single line retrieval down into sock)? Obviously needs to be low friction and not burn / abrade the sail as it runs thru / past it.

Thanks
Ants

Edited by aquaaddict on Aug 13, 2018 - 03:17 PM.
I would suggest using something like 3/16" endura braid. If your retrieval line is approximately 20' overall, then buy 12' of endura braid and milk the core out 8' to give you 20' overall. Stitch the cover in place. This way you'll have plain cover on the initial dowse pull, switching over to cover/core when it's starting to bunch up in the snuffer mouth and is getting harder to pull, then core only running through the retrieval loops at the end when there is the most sail friction.
I have full faith in Mike's knowledge of all thing "gear" and i am sure his suggestion is sound.

BUT
I have tried stripping the (dynema) core out of robline dingy control line for my retrieval line (actually 75' continuous line)
I did not love it although others do
i found it still burnt holes into my spin and one time when i shrimped the sail, the core portion of it actually failed on me ...

I have switched to a 3mm non jacketed dynema blend (robline racing sheet)
this line is soft, doesn't burn, doesn't swell/absorb water and lasts a very long time - yummv
I have tapered Marlow Excel line (5-mm I think) for my spin halyard/retrieval line. The retrieval side is exposed dyneema core. No burn holes after an entire season of carefree spinnaker takedowns.

Edited by traphappy on Aug 13, 2018 - 01:20 PM.
Hi,

Oooppps, I forgot an important point when I asked that question, the pull down lines also becomes the spin halyard as you can see in this diagram:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UdTi18yswN-V2IOEaZcFNumT-esHbQhYLj6K9-kQCoJFTExfHrmj0PqQVRPrmjypHWUjtaZcthBq6-XbSMkPmSVAUmRMQ8qUbPUZlK9VLgwwDM_2NHOeGdgzmw2JEcYZEnEnJYzAfUhXfw07QfReHuaIi9dvxxgp1sItCAOa7A_KGhwGv5wTM-1f_xW4B5lXDci8GQzZxd1RRWf-zWIpwtBgtLUY63xetW5PMAkMRegG70LFpk0LWUGDVj1WZLL-ekcnG_mMuUzTcRjlvRw8CWrUom0ZBWwG5pu848VqyLy7yG5l3zSFKBo3y_1NL82HtDs4VEcxVhXkxp2GSXxy9vEmiedlvlnyqPWEmPmvB9wsq1Y4YpB9sIOSELYmcyJet2DbTDp3nS7HWzkR7b8TFMh1qaL_abFNbbLFeDHR2zbEj5SrrXg5ytB36WY7YKYdPtTc5qunWFquu8P8BRHaIHcKNZD8en0qUY_96VkuACZXfUkyA9K43TL_SXW80MuoXtjIdGvVSdq1Ox6OuLBitBWzSZCwqHPSk2XBX5u2lZadEV-f-LwVTwA-FRwfOfM6Zxc1bhFSecFZGk3eETrawVWJrHW1Id_fVNyzCNwOg-RmNgJr6j1cgkEaIRu5IYcM_7k8SkepIR-_DTqBXyOoDBf_qz_KBhzq=w399-h582-no

But I guess what has been said still applies, use dyneema and strip the braid for the section that runs thru the spin (or at least as far back as can get away with before needing braid to be able to pull on it)?

Ants