Nacra 5.7 main halyard block

When I raised my mast this spring I used an EZ Step mast raising boom which was connected to my halyard and trailer winch. I made a huge mistake and ran the halyard through the block which is connected via an eyestrap to the front cross bar. The 3/16 rivets pulled out of the cross bar and made the holes too big to be secure with a 3/16 rivet. If I am really careful I can raise the sail without issue but two times the rivets have pulled out and the eyestrap goes flying at me.

Anyone ever have this problem? Got any ideas on a quick fix? I could go up to a 1/4 rivet but would have to drill out the eyestrap. I couldn't find any 7/32" rivets. I think it would be impossible to through bolt the eyestrap unless you have go go gadget arms. I suppose I could have the cross bar welded in the off season, but the mast stays up into early October.
I had similar issue/different cause

why would you hesitate to drill out the eyestrap? they are extremely cheap and available in a plethora of sizes

to through-bolt it: ... take off the dolphin striker and you can access the area inside your beam (at least i could on mine)
I just drilled a cross hole through the mast track and put a clevis pin through for a face to pull the halyard over. Works decent.
tamumpower1I just drilled a cross hole through the mast track and put a clevis pin through for a face to pull the halyard over. Works decent.

That wouldn't be low enough on mystere's
QuoteI think it would be impossible to through bolt the eyestrap unless you have go go gadget arms.

It’s easy, tape a box end wrench to the end of a hockey stick, piece of conduit, bamboo, whatever you have.
Place masking tape on one side of the box end. The you can drop the nut,(use nylock to avoid washers), into the box end & it will stay there.
You will need a buddy to manoeuvre the box end into position, then you drop the Phillips machine screw, or small bolt in. It’s easier to spin it with your hand, just enough to grab a thread, capice?

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 26, 2018 - 09:31 PM.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
Edchris177
QuoteI think it would be impossible to through bolt the eyestrap unless you have go go gadget arms.

It’s easy, tape a box end wrench to the end of a hockey stick, piece of conduit, bamboo, whatever you have.
Place masking tape on one side of the box end. The you can drop the nut,(use nylock to avoid washers), into the box end & it will stay there.
You will need a buddy to manoeuvre the box end into position, then you drop the Phillips machine screw, or small bolt in. It’s easier to spin it with your hand, just enough to grab a thread, capice?Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 26, 2018 - 09:31 PM.

I have used similar methods to access inside a beam - but there are lots of things inside my front beam that would prevent access to the mast area. i have a inner support tube (in the process of being replaced with a boxed out system) and the dolphin striker assembly (actually the backing plate the ds screws into) that makes accessing directly under the mast impossible as far as i know (at least on my cat) - ymmv
Thanks all for the suggestions! I thought about the box wrench on a hockey stick and I am sure it would work but would take a while to get it lined up perfectly. I have some eye straps on order and will see if there is enough material there to drill out to 1/4". The boat lives on a mooring all summer in a protected cove and is a pain to get back to the launch and trailer. Thanks again!
The eyestraps showed up today and the Harken Eyestrap Standard H137 from APS fit the 1/4 rivets perfectly. Now the block is solid and I can pull hard on the halyard to engage the clip at the top of the mast. My old eyestrap was much thinner but the hole spacing was the same at 1.5". Thanks!
Awesome!
So are you going to use the halyard next time or the forestay for stepping?

I always used the forestay when I used a ez step on my hobie
but this did lead to issues when securing it to the furler