Entry Level Sailing Clinic

The entry level sailing clinic is Saturday, May 12th for those that are new to sailing, interested in sailing, or new boat owners looking for help on sailing their boat. This clinic is open to non-boat owner alike. Several of our members will have their own boats available to take those who do not own a boat out on the water. This is your opportunity to try cat sailing on the Gulf Coast. Warning... it can be addictive...

The cost is $15 per person for the day and TCDYC will serve a BBQ lunch on the beach until we run out; but we are pretty good at cooking for large groups. 

If you plan on attending, please complete the online registration form at the link below:

http://www.123formbuilder.com/form-3667514/Event-Registration-Form

Then: Saturday, May 12th @ 10am.
Where: Texas City Dike

If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

cheers...
Scott Tuma

Edited by texastuma on Apr 25, 2018 - 12:03 PM.

--
Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
Nacra 5.0
Nacra 5.8
Tornadoes (Reg White)
--
Is this at every beach in the USA?
It should be.... Realized some details missing... Thx.

--
Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
Nacra 5.0
Nacra 5.8
Tornadoes (Reg White)
--
This event is in Texas City, Texas
Ooops - form doesn't work...

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--
charlescarlisOoops - form doesn't work...

This post was for last year's event. TCDYC (Texas City Dike Yacht Club) facebook page will have updated information on this year's event.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
'02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
--
Sounds like a great way to maintain and build a fleet

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
ctcatamanSounds like a great way to maintain and build a fleet

I think it was successful last year. Combined with our “Advanced Clinic” we were able to get people more comfortable with the boats they already had and even had a few of our Entry Clinic participants buy boats. This has quickly become one of my favorite events. Watching beginners climb out on the wire as the boat powers up is awesome and they get to try different boats. From P16 to F18.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
Yeah - a big old' "Doh"! after I posted. It is a kind of "must-attend" event. Trying to corral as many as I can.

This habit CAN'T be lonely... icon_smile

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--
charlescarlisYeah - a big old' "Doh"! after I posted. It is a kind of "must-attend" event. Trying to corral as many as I can.

This habit CAN'T be lonely... icon_smile

Bring them out. It’s a great time regardless if you’re a beginner or not, or if you’re comfortable giving rides or not. Having a bunch of people down there shows the incredible camaraderie of the sailing community.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
we have a "take the kids cat sailing day" every year with the local mono clubs
it was a lot of fun

one year a kid was ejected through a mainsail - he thought it was great (the parents were not as amused)
MN3we have a "take the kids cat sailing day" every year with the local mono clubs
it was a lot of fun

one year a kid was ejected through a mainsail - he thought it was great (the parents were not as amused)

That's kids for you. They see the fun in things that parents don't.
This was a major concern for us the first year. We were blessed with a perfect 10 or so knots. No injuries, no capsizes (unintentional anyways).
Everyone knows there is no shame in just saying "I'm not comfortable taking anyone out right now".
My rule is, unless I can give you a "no capsize guarantee" (stolen from my good friend and 1st skipper), I'm probably not taking out a beginner. Last thing I want is to be dealing with is the boat on its side and a freaked out beginner. Some people just lock up.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
Looks like I've just about talked the kids into going this weekend. 15-20knot winds... ought to be lively. Excited to meet a few folks in my new found hobby. Also excited to learn from a few veterans...

Chuck
H21SE

Edited by charlescarlis on Jun 20, 2019 - 09:25 PM.

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--
15-20 sounds sporty - enjoy
"Sporty" - yeah; for me it's kind of intimidating still (it's back to about 15-18-steady). I've done some sailing in mono-hulls in heavy air, but with cats it's still new to me. Looks like the local guys are a good group and I'm just as much about meeting/learning, etc. I even LIKE working on my boat.

Just got to get the kids hooked - then I'm golden... "Mwah! Ha! Ha!" icon_evil

Chuck
Hobie 21SE 408

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--