2019 Worrell 1000 Reunion Race

Worrell 1000 Reunion Race

Preliminary Notice of Race – 2019
(Revision 14MAR2018)

“The Worrell 1000 Reunion Race” (W1KRR) is an offshore long distance beach catamaran sailboat race to be held on/about May 2019 in the waters between Florida and Virginia Beach, VA. The race will cover approximately 1000 miles with overnight stops at multiple locations along the East Coast of the United States. Through a collaborative agreement between “Worrell 1000, Inc.” and “Sail Series Promotions USA, Inc.”, an organization has been formed to oversee the Research and Development, and Running of the race. This combined organization will be the Organizing Authority for the Worrell 1000 Reunion Race.

The race will be governed by the rules as defined by the current edition of the “The Racing Rules of Sailing” (RRS 2017-2020) and applicable Class Rules, except as modified by this NoR and/or the Worrell 1000 Reunion Race Sailing Instructions. Boats will be 20 foot production beach catamarans of a single type. The Organizing Authority is making efforts to tentatively have a limited number of charter boats available. Final boat type has still to be determined and will be announced in a subsequent formal W1KRR NoR and/or W1KRR Sailing Instructions. Registration information, definitive dates, final course and checkpoint locations, and further information will be detailed in updates/revisions to this NoR and/or in the W1KRR Sailing Instructions and will be published soon after the completion of 2018 Florida 300 to take place in May 2018.

Additional contact information along with names, web locations, etc. will be advertised as the Organizing Authority continues to discuss further conditions for this race.

https://www.facebook.com/Worrell1000
Back in 2003 I was contacted by Michael Worrell to do some reporting on that year's race. I was editing the online magazine On The Wire at the time, and he saw me as a good Howard Cosell type color guy. At the time, I thought this could turn into a big break for me, but that was the year it was cancelled, presumably for good. Now it's back, but I'm 15 years older and a lot busier.

--
Bill Mattson
Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
--
I really hope this event works out. I can't imagine that anyone who's ever sailed a beach cat doesn't get tingles up their spine and butterflies in their stomach when they read and hear the stories from this race - I know I sure do. The Worrell 1000 has captured my imagination since I was a teenager and ranks right up there with the story of the two guys (Laurent and Pradel) that crossed the Atlantic on a Hobie 18, as one of the most daring and exciting beach cat adventures conceived. Can't wait to see how this shakes out.

sm
Doesn't make sense that it's going to be a one design. Hard enough to get people to do the race in the first place, let alone have the one type of boat selected.
valid points but depends on the amount of charter boats avail and costs to charter
May make it easier for people to do the race vs shipping a boat cross country (world)

tamumpower1Doesn't make sense that it's going to be a one design. Hard enough to get people to do the race in the first place, let alone have the one type of boat selected.
I remember being at a bar called Timbers on Okaloosa Island back in the late 80s one night and talking to some dude about this race. We were all like, yeah man let's do this race!!! The guy knew the Tuckers that had "The Boat" in Ft Walton Beach. Good times at Timbers!!!

--
Marty
1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
--
From the SSPUSA site https://www.sailseriespro…s.com/races/florida-300/, it states the Florida 300 is cancelled but their will be a Worrell 1000 next year

The Florida 300 for 2018 has been cancelled. SSPUSA is excited to be involved with creating and managing next years revamp of the famous Worrell 1000.
The 2019 race will be called the Worrell 1000 Reunion Race and plans are well under way. Watch this site for official announcements soon.

--
Kenneth Purdy
Hobie 16
Nacra 5.2 (2)
Banshee
First Coast, Florida
--
Quick heads up to say - there's a push to get the Worrel1000 going again for 2019. Florida300 got canned this year.

Lots of discussion about it at SA:

http://forums.sailinganar…rrell-1000-reunion-race/

My boat and frame are not made for such harsh racing, but I thought I'd mention...