Newbie - Just got a Prindle 16

Hi, just wanted to get a first post in and say hello. I am Andrew, located in Canberra, Australia. Surrounded by some of the best lakes in a relatively lake-free nation, and a couple of hours drive from some of the best beaches in the world.

I spent a few years back in the 80s/90s playing around with catamarans, was even lucky enough to spend a few months sailing every day, but have only sailed a handful of times since the early 90s. I have never owned a cat before, always sailed borrowed/rented ones.

Picked up a 1981 Prindle 16 this weekend (free, my favourite price).

It has spent at least one winter in the corner of a car park so the sheets, lines, and tramp are in pretty poor condition. Hulls and decks feel strong, haven't found any soft spots yet. Most blocks, rigging and the double trapeze setup look fine. Rudder cages appear to have been splayed outwards a bit making everything very loose. Original mainsail and North Sail jib look pretty good though dirty and a bit mildewy.

I stripped it down on Saturday and cleaned the hulls and am now working my way through all the parts to see what cleaning/fixing/replacing needs to be done.

I have already found so much useful info here in thebeachcats.com but there is no doubt I will be asking plenty of questions.

....my first question being, can I just replace the missing/broken rollers on the traveller car or do I need a whole new unit?

Here is where it sat for almost a year
https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129245&g2_serialNumber=4

Close up of the general condition
https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129250&g2_serialNumber=4

After being stripped and lightly cleaned with a pressure washer
https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129262&g2_serialNumber=4

--
Andrew
1981 Prindle 16
Canberra, Australia
--
djorkboycan I just replace the missing/broken rollers on the traveller car or do I need a whole new unit?

Unfortunately those roller pivots are pressed on, not just peened, so you'll have to buy a replacement. Not sure whereabouts in Australia, but Murray's Marine in California still manages to get them.
Welcome to the club, and best of luck with your new thoroughbred!

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
Wow, nice looking boat and can't beat the price!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of beachcats!!!

--
Marty
1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
--
klozhald
Unfortunately those roller pivots are pressed on, not just peened, so you'll have to buy a replacement. Not sure whereabouts in Australia, but Murray's Marine in California still manages to get them.
Welcome to the club, and best of luck with your new thoroughbred!

The traveler is made by RWO in England it is the XT2 4 wheel model... I had rebuilt a few in the past using the derlin wheel kit from RWO, but is has become harder to get these... I am looking to rebuild one using stainless steel 8MM X 16MM X 5MM sealed bearing and a press.. I'll let you know who it tunes out..

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
Congratulations on getting the Prindle 16. I started years ago with a Prindle 18. The Prindle 16 is a great cat to start on. Should be lots of fun. Take a look at the standing rigging (forestay, shrouds) and make sure they are in good shape. If not replace them. Also available at Murrays in California, USA. As postage may be a big expense for you if you can't get parts in Australia, consider making an inventory of all you need and ordering at one time to save on postage. Welcome to the Beachcats!

--
Scott
ARC 21
Prindle 18
Annapolis, Maryland
--
QuoteThe traveler is made by RWO in England it is the XT2 4 wheel model... I had rebuilt a few in the past using the derlin wheel kit from RWO, but is has become harder to get these... I am looking to rebuild one using stainless steel 8MM X 16MM X 5MM sealed bearing and a press.. I'll let you know who it tunes out..

Thanks for that info. So all I need is the 4 wheels and I can press them on pretty easy? I have to drill out the rivets to get the traveller car out don't I?

The wheel kit from Bainbridge Marine in the UK is only $10!!

Edited by djorkboy on Oct 31, 2017 - 03:06 PM.

--
Andrew
1981 Prindle 16
Canberra, Australia
--
djorkboy Thanks for that info. So all I need is the 4 wheels and I can press them on pretty easy? I have to drill out the rivets to get the traveller car out don't I?

The wheel kit from Bainbridge Marine in the UK is only $10!!

Yes, you're going to need to drill out the rivets that are holding the end-cap on... and replace them when done... Do not seal them, the need to let the water drain.

When putting the new wheels on let them sit in boiling water for a few seconds... it will make the job a little easier..

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
Question for all of you guys. I posted it on this website but no response. I want to replace my rudder lines on my prindle, and was wondering what size and line quality have you used? Too much stretch in the line is not working for me. Thanks

--
Frank
Prindle 15/Hobie 16/Hobie 14T
--
spagsQuestion for all of you guys. I posted it on this website but no response. I want to replace my rudder lines on my prindle, and was wondering what size and line quality have you used? Too much stretch in the line is not working for me. Thanks

A good low stretch line about 3/16 should work great. Salty Dog Marine lists line kits with all the lengths or you could buy the line right form them or Murrays.

--
Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
Member: Utah Sailing Association
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
--
I have some travelers here in the US but not sure if it would be worth shipping them that far, the rollers are not perfect on them but all the rollers are there.

--
Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
Member: Utah Sailing Association
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
--
How much for one traveller? I have a US address that u can ship to. Can u send pic of your best one?

--
Frank
Prindle 15/Hobie 16/Hobie 14T
--
Quarath
spags
Question for all of you guys. I posted it on this website but no response. I want to replace my rudder lines on my prindle, and was wondering what size and line quality have you used? Too much stretch in the line is not working for me. Thanks

A good low stretch line about 3/16 should work great. Salty Dog Marine lists line kits with all the lengths or you could buy the line right form them or Murrays.

The stock line was 3/16" dacron, a four foot length (down) and a five foot length (up). All Prindle rudders except the MX versions use the same lines. Go here:
https://www.thebeachcats.…740&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
djorkboy
QuoteThe traveler is made by RWO in England it is the XT2 4 wheel model... I had rebuilt a few in the past using the derlin wheel kit from RWO, but is has become harder to get these... I am looking to rebuild one using stainless steel 8MM X 16MM X 5MM sealed bearing and a press.. I'll let you know who it tunes out..

Thanks for that info. So all I need is the 4 wheels and I can press them on pretty easy? I have to drill out the rivets to get the traveller car out don't I?

The wheel kit from Bainbridge Marine in the UK is only $10!!Edited by djorkboy on Oct 31, 2017 - 03:06 PM.

Meanwhile you can sail with the traveler always centered, or even without it if you figure out how to attach the mainsheet block.
Quote The stock line was 3/16" dacron, a four foot length (down) and a five foot length (up). All Prindle rudders except the MX versions use the same lines. Go here:
https://www.thebeachcats.…740&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Do you think 3mm dynema will work with the rudder rollers for reducing friction with less stretch for raising/lowering the rudders or is it too thin? Murray's has a dynema tramp kit that seems a lot cheaper than buying dynema by itself.