Hurricane a Comin'

Well, looks like it's on now, with the first landfall of Irma in and around Key West, on its way north at the moment. I'm in Opelika, Alabama and we are under a tropical storm warning with wind gusts expected to be 60 mph and 2 to 3 inches of rain on Monday and Monday night! The track on the radar has it coming right through Auburn and Opelika. I am putting the cover back on the Hobie and pushing it close to the house so it will possibly be more protected from the wind and won't be under any trees. I may even park our van on the other side of it to use as a wind block as well.
Anyhoo, hope that everyone in this storms path stays safe!!!

Edited by martyr on Sep 10, 2017 - 12:38 PM.

--
Marty
1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
--
Unless you have a highway rated cover, I would suggest removing it. A flogging cover will do a lot more damage to a boat than it will prevent.

Good luck.

sm
I agree, the boat is fine if it gets wet, but a cover can provide lift. Tie down and let it get wet. Stay away from vulnerable trees.

--
Tom
NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
Pennsylvania
--
Went down to the coast to pull both mine, Looks like we are going to be a direct hit. Decided to try and stack my H16 on top of my Gcat 5.7. Worked perfect, didn't even have to move the 5.7s mast. Probably won't need to do it again since I can't sail 2 boats at once but it's good to know

Edited by jalex on Sep 10, 2017 - 03:32 PM.
Getting a direct hit here in Bradenton too, but it looks like it's coming ashore further south so it might be down to a Cat 2 by the time it gets here. My cat is on the ground strapped down to a chain attached to a buried wheel. It's also in the lee of a 35' horse trailer. Should be fine. The center console is in the driveway, on axel stands, with about 1,500 lbs of water in the bilge to weigh it down. Just hunkered down waiting now!

--
H16 back in the day
SC17 right now
Bradenton, FL
--
http://i67.tinypic.com/17vgyc.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/4vprw4.jpg

Left the nacra in the garage and stuffed the Hobies in the living room. The house is within about 5 miles of where the eye of the storm should pass. Fingers crossed
Love your interior decorator ! Seriously, that looks like very safe system. Good luck all.

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
Good luck everyone. My cover on the boat is a fitted one made of canvass, it has lots of ties and velcro straps that hold it tightly against the hulls and tramp frame. If it starts flapping, then I will brave the rain and wind to secure it. I only wanted it on there in case we have some small debris such as sticks, limbs flying around. I have the boat parallel to the house to block the wind and have a vehicle parked on the other side to block the wind also. We've already been having gusty winds and the cover hasn't moved a bit. Yall be safe.

--
Marty
--
Well seems the tampa area did pretty well (despite all the asshat reporting that was going on before and during the storm that freaked people out with pure doom and gloom fake news).

I was out of town last week and didn't return.
no windows boarded, no chance to make real preparations for the storm,
no food no water nothing - no boat insurance and only $1000 MAX payout for any boat/parts/engines (that would just about cover the cost of new lines)

My AMAZING friends came by and put down some anchors for me,moved 2 hulls away from my house, removed the pop up garage over my 6.0, took the 5.5 mast off the fence where i have it secured during some beam repairs and it seems all is good

Such a nice feeling knowing neither of my catamaran are in someone else's livingroom

HOPE all faired/fair as well
Good to hear. Same up here in Alabama. We have had some rain and wind gusts but nothing serious, but hey I'm off work today and tomorrow because of this storm!!! Yay!!!

--
Marty
--
martyrGood to hear. Same up here in Alabama. We have had some rain and wind gusts but nothing serious, but hey I'm off work today and tomorrow because of this storm!!! Yay!!!

Oh we (they) had serious weather - the water was sucked out of tampa bay and our area, there were hurricane winds all night.... but i guess all the local houses were built well long ago, and the new ones better...

glad you are ok too Marty
If i Hurry i can probably get into tamumpower1's house before him and try out that Nacra18 in some GOOD AIR
Saw a video from the rudder club near Jacksonville. Their dock is gone, a bunch of fallen pines took out boats and many just were blown off their trailers. It's a huge expensive mess. I think they had almost twice the winds that we got in Ocala where we evacuated to.
Looks like we are in the clear here. We had some strong gusts this afternoon and rain, never lost power, only small tree debris in the yard will give me something to do tomorrow.

--
Marty
--
LOST MY FLORIDA DART 18 , IT SUNK IN LAKE EMERALD OAKLAND PARK FLA, THATS ADJACENT TO FT. LAUDERDALE, THEY STILL DONT HAVE POWER. POSTING PHOTO IN MY ALBUM, STILL CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO ATTACH TO FORUM
nofearofflying, sorry to hear of your loss. If you right-click your image and copy the image location, you can paste that into the thread and we can easily find the image. Just put [img] URL [/ img] tags around it, and we can view it.

--
Tom
NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
Pennsylvania
--
That sucks
where was it being stored?

Where is your album (Beachcat situations, Personal Albums)?
What's it called?

nofearofflyingLOST MY FLORIDA DART 18 , IT SUNK IN LAKE EMERALD OAKLAND PARK FLA, THATS ADJACENT TO FT. LAUDERDALE, THEY STILL DONT HAVE POWER. POSTING PHOTO IN MY ALBUM, STILL CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO ATTACH TO FORUM
I saw the picture, its in the "personal album" section. Sorry for the loss of the Dart, looks like one hull is intact but the other is facing the wrong way.

Edited by martyr on Sep 13, 2017 - 01:05 PM.

--
Marty
--
martyrI saw the picture, it in the "personal album" section. Sorry for the loss of the Dart, looks like one hull is in tact but the other is facing the wrong way.

might just need new spars and be repairable
Paste a live link to either the photo, or your album. If you want a link to the album, click on "URL"(found just below where you are typing). Then copy the full address from the address bar,(easier to have ALBUMS open in another Window), & paste it between the URL brackets. If you just direct paste the address, it will look like this;
https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=126515 and everyone will have to select it then as k to open. If you use the URL link, it will look like this;
https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=126515
If you want the photo, click on "IMAGE", that will give you IMG brackets.
Now go to your album,(again easier with a second Window), open your image, right click on it & select "COPY IMAGE LOCATION". Now paste that inbetween the brackets, & presto.
https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128962&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=5024136ee37784a902f16b830c84fbe0
you can also go into your albums & using EDIT, rotate photos so they are not sideways...it was windy but the earth didn't flip!

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 13, 2017 - 10:05 AM.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
I've edited mine to change rotation and get a broken image sign..gave up
Quote.it was windy but the earth didn't flip!

it was close!