Hobie 16 jib batten tension

I just had to replace the lower jib batten and all four of the the pocket protectors. Now I have to tension all the battens with the string at the other end. I don't have a clue as to how much tension should be on each batten. Can't seem to find any information anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.
Some of the books I have read, written by winning Hobie sailors, state that the tension is not critical. One of these Hobie experts states he has sailed with the battens untensioned and could not tell the difference. I have also had that experience, though my reasons for not telling the difference are probably not the same as that experienced sailor. icon_biggrin

I usually set mine with enough tension to take out some, but not all of the wrinkles in the sail. Since I do this every time before sailing, I am sure that I am not repeatable. And the reason I do this is I untension the battens when storing the sails, which minimizes the stretching of the sail.

--
Ted
Hobie 16
South Carolina Lake sailing
--
QuoteI just had to replace the lower jib batten and all four of the the pocket protectors. Now I have to tension all the battens with the string at the other end. I don't have a clue as to how much tension should be on each batten. Can't seem to find any information anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

in general - snug enough to remove most wrinkles is probably fine for most conditions but different materials will have different characteristics

sometimes i add extra tension in light air days to help induce a curve in my sail - but it also can promote a inverted sail shape (wind is too light to force the sail to pop over into the correct side after a tack and requires me to fuss with it

PS ted is correct about relaxing the tension after sailing to increase the sail's life (dacron will keep stretching over it's entire life, where most high tech fabrics will just wear and eventually fail

Edited by MN3 on Jul 17, 2017 - 08:52 AM.
I'm not a H16 expert, but for general sailing, I would agree with what others have said - tension them enough to remove the wrinkles or maybe just a little beyond that. If you go too hard, you will have a tough time getting the top one or two battens to pop over in light wind.

If you plan on racing, I would suggest you discuss with other racers to find out what they're doing. I'm sure there are all types of theories on what is fastest on the H16 as the class has been around for 45 years or so now...

The other thing when it comes to H16 battens is that you want to make sure you trim them as short as possible so the ends don't hang up on the halyards when you tack & jibe. The batten cap should barely stick out of the end of the pocket when the batten is fully tensioned.

sm
QuoteThe other thing when it comes to H16 battens is that you want to make sure you trim them as short as possible so the ends don't hang up on the halyards when you tack & jibe. The batten cap should barely stick out of the end of the pocket when the batten is fully tensioned.

I'm pretty sure (damn sure actually) he is referring to the jib battens here
MN3I'm pretty sure (damn sure actually) he is referring to the jib battens here

Exactly. Hobie 16 jib battens - you need to trim the ends as short as possible so they don't hang up on the halyards (which run down the outside of the mast) when you tack and jibe.

sm
my h16 came with breakaway batten hinges
they worked great - but i have read they cause wear on the sail
Also, when you raise the mainsail and have it locked in at the top of the mast, you can take the halyard behind and around the shroud and trap wires and then cleat it off. This will keep the halyard farther back on the mast so that the jib won't get caught on it. Trim jib battens as suggested and you can also put a little tape on the batten ends as well and this will help the jib move across the mast. Tension battens just enough to remove wrinkles as suggested as well, and remember to cleat them.

--
Marty
1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
--
Quote you can also put a little tape on the batten ends as well and this will help the jib move across the mas

that's a great idea
you can actually use glide tape and make it slick as snot!
Thanks guys for all the good advise. I will do as suggested and feel confident that it is done right. Thanks again.