Nacra 5.7 singlehanded?

I'm 6'5" tall / 250 lbs and new to sailing cats (although I've sailed/raced dinghies and big monohulls for 50+ years). I'm looking for a cat for fast daysailing (no racing) that I can sail by myself (or with as many as 2 crew). I'd prefer not to have to use a trap. There's a Nacra 5.7 for sale that looks to be a pretty good deal. Do you think this might work for me? What wind conditions? Are wings available for the 5.7? Does anyone add reef points to the main for stronger wind?
You can sail the 5.7 by yourself in up to moderate conditions--15 or so in my opinion. Maybe more with more experience. It's a big roomy boat and easy to handle although mast raising is a chore. You can take two small to mediums with you. There may be some wings out there but they are very unusual on a 5.7. I don't think reef points will work since it's a boomless rig.

--
Tim
Collierville (Memphis), TN
Supercat 15--sold :(
Hobie monocat--given
Vanguard 15--traded for...
Nacra 4.5--sold
Nacra 5.7
Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
Supercat 17–sold
--
I'm 5'11" & 175lb, i sail my 5.7 solo most of the time. You say you are "new" to Cats. It is a great boat for what you want, just make sure you get comfortable with righting it solo. even at 250lb, if you can't plank out horizontal, you will need some water in a bag. My buddy needs a bit of help with the 5.0, he is 185lb, 6'1".
At 250lb, you can pull pretty good power without trapping, though a diaper harness is handy. You can sit just "over the edge", without trapping.
Once you get comfortable, you can solo in 25mph. I've done it in more, but around 30mph becomes pure "pointing". I strongly suggest roller furling for the jib if you intend to do much solo.
Never seen wings on a 5.7, though I think there are a very few sets around.
The 5.7 in my opinion is a better boat than a H18. It comes with Harken, better than the crappy jib & main setup of the H18. No boom, no boards, very stable, lots of uncluttered room on the tramp. You didn't mention where you are...the N5.7 is pretty good in light wind, if you trim it properly. I kill my neighbor on his H17 when the water gets rough, & i can point as high as he can, as long as I move right up to the front beam, & bury the bows.
I have sailed with 4 adults easily, you won't do 20mph, but there is plenty of flotation in the bows. You really have to work to pitchpole it.
I have EPO rudders on my H18, I like them better than the Nacra setup, but if you bungee the Nacra properly, they are fine. If I could only own one boat, the 5.7 would be WAY up the list for recreational sailing.
Cons- the hulls are harder to drain. the skeg hull results in a definite "upswell" from the bottom of the skeg to the transom, you need a steep beach, or tip it up pretty high to drain.
Count on having help, or a gin pole for stepping mast. Some do it solo, i don't.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
I'm 5'10" 240 and also single hand all the time. I definitely need a bag to right it solo. Make sure you have that mast sealed tight! I have a set of Nacra wings but haven't installed them yet. Debating on reinstalling on my 5.2 because I will likely solo that more often and I love to trap on the 5.7. Its a great simple boat. My uncle used to call it the gentle giant, compared to his H16. I bought a Hobie Mast stepper III and it works a treat for solo mast raising. Once you get it figured out it takes out all the heave ho and fear of dropping it on someone. Its prety simple to setup. I have had a hobie 16, nacra 5.2 and this 5.7 and the 5.7 is by far my favorite. Its as close to a dream boat for me as I could want. Maybe a carbon fiber mast would make it better...

D.

--
Dave Bonin
1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
--
How long does it usually take to rig a 5.7?

I'm considering joining a club that has a dry storage area, but otherwise I'll have to keep the boat at home and tow it to the boat ramp.
I'm 5'9 180 lbs, and single hand my 5.8 regularly on the rappahannock river, occasionally getting out into the Chesapeake bay. I can't comfortably right the boat by myself so i don't push it when i'm solo, I do have a righting bag from the Colorado Bag Company (Ebay) but I've not had a chance to practice with it much. It's on my to do list for this summer. Good news is, I've not capsized the boat much, it is pretty predictable and you can dump the air in a hurry, i'd imagine the 5.7 would be the same way.

I'd go for it, you won't regret it.

oh and just out of curiosity, is it the 5.7 that is for sale in Raleigh? That looks like a great deal, i was wondering where that boat was last year when i bought my 5.8 for twice the money.

Edited by icon149 on Jun 25, 2017 - 05:39 AM.

--
1987 Nacra 5.8
1978 Isotope (sold)
--
The first couple of times it will take you forever! But after that depending on how setup you leave it should be just a matter of untying everything (rudders up and all your rigging bungied to the boat) and stepping the mast 30 minutes ish.

Edited by Wolfman on Jun 25, 2017 - 08:23 PM.

--
Dave Bonin
1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
--
Hopefully you'll get it. You won't regret it. I solo my 5.8 NA 90% of the time and not for lack of willing crew either.

--
Nacra 5.8 NA &
Nacra 4.5
Hobie Wave sold
'05 Getaway sold
Hunter 216 traded
Windrider 17sold
Hobie 18 M sold
Hobie 18, sold
RS Vision sold
"life's too short for slow boats"
--
I have been sailing my 84 5.7 since 1986. I recently renovated the boat and it is still a pleasure to solo or take the wife or a crew out. Everything from easy cruising to racing, although you will not be competitive with modern cats with spinakers, you will slay the H16s and most H18s and Prindles. Get the beach wheels, because the skeg hull is like dragging an anchor. You may still need an assist to upright or a righting bag.

--
Tom
NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
Pennsylvania
--
Can you right the 5.7 by climbing on to the upper hull and leaning back on the trapeze wire?
That is singularly the worst idea I’ve seen with regards to righting, though I would enjoy seeing someone try it, after all, once the boat tips, you will already be on the upper hull.
Once tipped, the upper hull is “over Center”. By staying, or climbing into the upper hull, you will simply insure the boat turns turtle.
If you do try this, be sure to have someone on hand to video the chaos. In my mind I can picture some poor sod planked out, 8’ in the air...the boat slowly comes up, then gains speed. Even better if the sailor is 250lbs, the belly flop as he hits the water will be impressive.
I can picture it, but video for all the world to see is always much better.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
--
I use the Cat Bag righting system. https://www.murrays.com/product/01-3280/ and also have a Universal Righting System https://www.murrays.com/product/01-8292/. The Bag is used if I'm solo and the Universal if I have a second person. I agree with Ed that trying to right the cat from the upper hull will be worthy of a silent comedy film.

Once you have the cat righted, you have to get back onboard. That is what is getting harder for me.

--
Tom
Pennsylvania
--
gobigkahunaHow long does it usually take to rig a 5.7?

I'm considering joining a club that has a dry storage area, but otherwise I'll have to keep the boat at home and tow it to the boat ramp.

People often say half an hour but take about one. Stepping the mast every day you sail is a bit painful, unless you declare it part of the fun. Beach wheels are an essential item.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=By4RZe84RWs
There is no good answer. Just like sailing your boat, rigging it is something that evolves over time and just like sailing you will continue to find techniques that are faster and more efficient. One thing about mast up storage opposed to trailering is that with mast up storage, sailors typically get lazy and don't take a look at what's going on up there for a long time.

--
Bill Townsend
G-Cat 5.0
Sarasota
--
I’m 78 still singlehand my Dart 18s one in Fort Lauderdale other on Fire Isle NY, I singlehanded my Nacra 5.7 until I was over 65 and “lost” that cat. Still kept sailing my friends N570 until last summer, but not singlehanded. N570 lighter than N5.7. I was 139 in my prime but now am 170lbs with a myriad of maladies - so you defendants nitely can single that cat just don’t go out when it’s gusting over 22knots. Righting the 5.7 or n570 with 2 men and an elasticized rigging line very doable, the N570 with benches/wing could be righted single handed standing on bench while hiking out on Elasticized righting line but you would need a pole set- up otherwise like I had on my Nacra 5.5- these cats are approx 330 Lbs, Dart 18 is 280 or so Ll loaded up
QuoteThat is singularly the worst idea I’ve seen with regards to righting, though I would enjoy seeing someone try it,

LOL
icon_lol
Whoever commented on my hair brained idea of trying to right a N570 singlehanded by standing on bench is correct- bench would be submerged and not provide additional leverage- pole way to go ,just remember to make sure main and jib lines released/ not cleated & sling water bag over your shoulders / on N5.2 I used to stand on the dagger and able to right singlehanded- never attempted to right a N570,or N5.7 single handed or my, N 5.5SL with fixed righting pole and righting lines
Anyone know how much weight is required to right the nacra 5.7
no wind, no waves, just a six foot person standing on the lower hull and leaning out on the righting line thrown over the upper hull tied to the top of the dolphin striker.
I use the big-bag righting system from Murray's. I can't right solo, but it comes up quick by adding weight or a second person. I'll bet I'm bigger than you. Another alternative is a righting pole which allows better leverage. Important note: seal the mast at all penetrations above the spreader bar.

--
Tom
Pennsylvania
--
How much does the bag weigh with water?
Are you able to right it solo when you hold the bag?
It is surprisingly difficult to right on a dead calm situation. With two, it’s easy. I’m 170lb, & I need the Colorado bag full in those conditions. Patience is key, it takes a minute for water to come off the sail. If you swim the bows around into the wind, even light wind will get under the sail & help.
Forget about “holding the bag”, unless you’re a meme stock investor.
The bag weighs 80lb full.
You need it tied onto your righting line with a purchase. I use 3:1 with a cleat. Kneeling on the hull, fill the bag. Using the purchase lift it up,(you need to pre determine where to tie the bag into the righting line so it’s at optimum height once you haul it up). Stand up, with the righting line over your shoulder,(the bag must be against your back)- if it droops into the water, you don’t gain anything, the hike out- you will need both hands to hold onto the knot you put in the righting line at just the correct position.
The stronger the wind, the less extra weight you need. The wind on the tramp will help. In 20mph, don’t bother with the bag, just hike out.
Again,there is a photo in my 5.7 album showing the 3:1 purchase.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
--