Prindle 19 Shroud Adjuster

So it looks like I left a shroud adjuster on my trampoline after my rigging failure and lost it. I figured I'd just pick another one up, but looking online I am not finding this particular type.

It's not the conventional job with the two straps welded together. This one is beefier, resembling a channel. It has a small Prindle logo on it, and a pic is below. Any ideas on where to source? Or does anybody have one they would like to sell?

http://www.catsail.com/crap/KIMG0313.jpeg

--
Bill Mattson
Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
--
Always have them in stock. Pete 909-800-5237
I had to replace the shroud adjuster on my 19mx last year after having a clevis come loose during trailering. I just picked one up that wasn't a channel like you've mentioned. Is there something significant I'm overlooking specific to the 19 or 19mx rig?
eb916I had to replace the shroud adjuster on my 19mx last year after having a clevis come loose during trailering. I just picked one up that wasn't a channel like you've mentioned. Is there something significant I'm overlooking specific to the 19 or 19mx rig?

We had one of the conventional ones break at the weld, while about 24 miles off the coast at the Channel Islands. Only one side broke, so we didn't lose the rig. I still use them on the Hobie 18, but the P19 is obviously going to have more loads on the shrouds and that incident spooked me.

Edit: One side of the chainplate broke.

Edited by mattson on Jun 10, 2017 - 11:46 AM.

--
Bill Mattson
Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
--
pbegleAlways have them in stock. Pete 909-800-5237

Great. Will give you a call.

--
Bill Mattson
Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
--
Got the parts today, Pete. Exactly what I needed. And you even threw in the twist toggles and pins!

Great terms, shipped promptly. Looking forward to doing more biz with you!!

--
Bill Mattson
Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
--
QuoteI had to replace the shroud adjuster on my 19mx last year after having a clevis come loose during trailering. I just picked one up that wasn't a channel like you've mentioned. Is there something significant I'm overlooking specific to the 19 or 19mx rig?

The standard (welded) ones have a significantly lower life span - Over time they rust, and fatigue much faster than the robust, single piece one that Bill was looking for.
the draw back - weight - the robust ones weigh double or tripple (guessing here) - and when racing - every ounce counts.

I have had at least 4 of the welded ones break on me over the years - often it was like Bill's experience where it was 1 side and didn't demast - still not good. It's a buzz kill when it happens for sure

Someone once suggested that the angle(bend/crimp) that is on the base of standard welded ones PROBABLY flexes under stress (i.e. a gust) and having slop/play in your rigging = slow (i am not 100% sure that is true or not but interesting)

I have both type, and after being on my friends g-cat one day when last year - in very heavy air (but not pushing the boat hard) we heard a large PING. after looking around for a few minutes ... waiting for the mast to fall - we found out that it was the adjuster - one side snapped off. Lucky for us he had thimbles there (most cat's have airplane fittings here) and we were able to whip some dyneema around the stay end and the shackle (no cotter pin here due to the addition of a spin block on our side stays) to secure the stay/mast even if the second side popped on our limp home.

On my next chance - i put the heavy adjusters back on my main cat - and when i had new sidestays made, I ditched using airplane adjusters all together - they cost 5x and are they any stronger??? i have had them rust up and fray there

Edited by MN3 on Jun 16, 2017 - 03:11 PM.