What Did You Do Plan For the Cat? (Projects and Plans)

I'm ready for Spring, but the weather is not, so I thought I'd share my plans for when the weather turns, and see what the rest of you have in mind. Hopefully, you won't make me want to spend more money on this old beachcat. yes

After refinishing the hulls last year, I have gotten new wire rigging. The boat is completely disassembled now, so it should not be hard to match-up the new wire and have pretty close to the same rake and tension for next season. The plan is to put on a new trampoline this season and will probably order from SLO shortly. The upgrade to Tanara Teflon, but at 63, I figure V-138 Polyester might outlast my sailing days with proper care. I will be pulling the trigger on that in the next week or so.

An earlier thread this year got me interested in Hydroturf. I plan to cut a 47 x 86 sheet with contact adhesive to provide seating and friction on both sides. New shock cord for the trapeze wires, and I'm looking for a large cat righting bag.

Finally, I have a set of new decals to be applied to the hulls. These are the new 2-part NACRA decals (Blue on Black) that were purchased in a group buy last fall from Europe. That's probably the most technical project. I wonder if anyone else has gotten a set applied yet?

Right now, everything is sitting under cover waiting for the Spring thaw.

--
Tom
NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
Pennsylvania
--
You wouldn't happen to have an extra set of those Nacra decals? I'm redoing my Nacra 5.2 and could use a set. I just refinished my hulls, replaced the shrouds and trap wire also. It's still a little chilly here in north Florida but spring should be here next week. Yipee!

--
2016 Hobie Getaway
1978 Nacra 5.2
1978 Hobie 16 (back in the day)
--
I gave my boat a good washing a couple of weeks ago, funny how something that is covered up still gets dirty. I need to replace the shock cord for the Hawaiian style of righting system on the boat and I need to replace one rudder bolt, don't know how one got bent. I also want to take the boat off of the trailer, set her up in the back yard a few times just to practice a bit and also install the trapeze wires that have been sitting in a box ever since I brought the boat home, previous owner never used them. While the boat is off the trailer, I will clean the trailer up a little and check everything out, may even want to repack wheel bearings because I have no idea when that was done in the past. Wow, lots to do, always something to tinker around with when it comes to any boat. We've had low temps here in the 20s and I'm ready for some warmer days so I can get going on these little projects. Hey, Wanderoo222, where ya at in North Florida? I grew up in the Destin area and my Sis lives in Crestview, Dad is in Keystone Heights.

--
Marty
1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
--
My preferred modification was to change the batten pockets on the jib, putting them parallel to the luff so you can roll it for lunch time or overnight. Just roll it manually around the forestay, I don't need a furler. I also sewed a jib sock.
I'm in Gainesville , Not far from Keystone.

--
2016 Hobie Getaway
1978 Nacra 5.2
1978 Hobie 16 (back in the day)
--
April 1st is a big mark in my agenda, first it is the day my close friend
and Commodore of our little cat-club, Roel, passed away last year.
That was the sickest 1st of april joke ever...
1st of april is the date I have to remove my Etap22 from its berth in
southern Holland. Due to bad weather and work it is far from ready
to take the shortest route home. Navigation-lights and a severe leak
in one of its hatches are the main problem.
Its a 117 Nm trip, but 65 of them are on the North-sea, which can be
quiet challenging, early spring. Other option is to motor her home,
but 2 days on inland channels with an outboard engine as you're best
friend is not a very nice perspective....
As for beach cats .. 1st of april is masts up at our little cat-club, yeah!
Apart from a tiny crack in the starboard deck, my T is ready for the
next season. Planning to put a bowsprit on her, 20ish Knts is not
enough icon_wink .
All the material is there, a big 24 sqm kite, blocks and sprit.
Another project is converting the jib setup to a true "sport" T,
with a self-tacking jib. But most of my crew is against that idea,
they love trimming the jib-sheet and the 4-way sheet system.
Also, I have the impression that, in light winds, the classic jib helps
a lot with tacking, when properly trimmed.

Grtz, A

--
Tornado (80's Reg White)
Prindle 18-2 (sold)
Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
--
We were briefly, very briefly, up at the lake house, digging through some gear, & taking some measurements to rebuild a dock the Cats sit beside.
I did pick up the Nacra beam caps that a member here wanted.
Then it started to snow out West, & it kept snowing. We said to hell with Cats, flew to Calgary, then drove 4 hours through a storm to Revelstoke, for some epic skiing. The Stoke boasts the highest vertical drop in
N. America, more than Whislter, & sq miles of tree skiing. They have something like 34' of snow this year.
After my legs recover we'll get back to Cats

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
So I just installed a new tramp on the Supercat. Very happy with it, but sad that I had to go with black as SLO wouldn't warranty blue, the color it was, previously.
Next on the list, maybe this weekend or week after next is to strengthen up the starboard transom. I noticed a bit of gel coat cracking at the rear of the hull, and the port hull has already an inspection port installed, and interior fiberglass structure added. Time to do the starboard. Guess I came in too hot to the beach this past summer too many times, and have slightly damaged the aft section. New inspection portal ordered. Once that arrives, I can get to this repair.
After this, I am good to go for the season - until I find something else to work on...

--
Supercat 15
Windrider 17
Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
--
Edchris177We were briefly, very briefly, up at the lake house, digging through some gear, & taking some measurements to rebuild a dock the Cats sit beside.
I did pick up the Nacra beam caps that a member here wanted.
Then it started to snow out West, & it kept snowing. We said to hell with Cats, flew to Calgary, then drove 4 hours through a storm to Revelstoke, for some epic skiing. The Stoke boasts the highest vertical drop in
N. America, more than Whislter, & sq miles of tree skiing. They have something like 34' of snow this year.
After my legs recover we'll get back to Cats

I'm heading to Steamboat on Saturday 3/25-4/1 for some skiing. Can't turn down a week at the Christy Club. Super luxury for a week for this beachcat sailor. Unexpected bonus. I guess the cat will have to wait.

--
Tom
Pennsylvania
--
windwarddeSo I just installed a new tramp on the Supercat. Very happy with it, but sad that I had to go with black as SLO wouldn't warranty blue, the color it was, previously.
Next on the list, maybe this weekend or week after next is to strengthen up the starboard transom. I noticed a bit of gel coat cracking at the rear of the hull, and the port hull has already an inspection port installed, and interior fiberglass structure added. Time to do the starboard. Guess I came in too hot to the beach this past summer too many times, and have slightly damaged the aft section. New inspection portal ordered. Once that arrives, I can get to this repair.
After this, I am good to go for the season - until I find something else to work on...

I was hoping to go for a blue tramp from SLO. Was not aware of a different warranty. I have used a black tramp since 84. I figured anything I put on now would probably outlast my sailing days. I sent away for SLO tramp samples and just got them today and the only color is black. Looks like blue is a thing of the past.

Edited by tominpa on Mar 17, 2017 - 09:37 PM.

--
Tom
Pennsylvania
--
I tried to talk SLO into blue, but they were pretty adamant.
I had a blue from them that lasted 8 seasons and still was pretty good but they must have had issues with blue, so I wimped out and accepted the black
It looks ok, but I miss the blue
Maybe I'll be warmer with the black? Or maybe I'm just justifying my decision
Best

--
Supercat 15
Windrider 17
Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
--
My boat still has the original Hobie tramp and it is yellow. It has faded a little, the color under the hiking straps is brighter than the rest, but it is fine and in really top shape. Does SLO still make a yellow tramp? I'm not looking to replace it, just want to know for future reference.

--
Marty
1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
--
The Hobie vinyl tramp can be replaced by SLO, but you'd like a bias cut mesh better icon_lol

They have samples for Hobie Vinyl
http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-6y6ht/products/242/images/665/a20791713d4b021a0eee2d_l__67740.1412885991.1280.1280.JPG?c=2.

--
Tom
Pennsylvania
--