Anybody grease their jib furlers?

Thinking of rebuilding mine and wondering what type of grease people use in the bearings?

Is silicone grease or Vaseline good options?

Also, is it ok to put a little grease on the teflon washers?

http://i328.photobucket.c…ibFurler_zps9fb1bc43.jpg

--
Ron
Big Bear Lake, Ca.
1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
1988 Mac 26Dagger
--
rondog
Also, is it ok to put a little grease on the teflon washers?

NO

the rebuild kit comes with new washers and bearings, they are not designed to be lubricated.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
almost all lubricants will trap dirt and sand and prevent bearings from rolling... leading to flat spots and worthless bearings.

harken does make a product specifically for their bearings called McLube™ OneDrop™ Ball Bearing Conditioner but (IN MY OPINION) your better off just cleaning your furler(s) with warm/hot fresh water often than needing that sutff there. Keep your furler out of the sand and your fine for years of service
Ok good advice! Will do!

Thanks guys!

--
Ron
Big Bear Lake, Ca.
1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
1988 Mac 26Dagger
--
Also you could use a little handdisch cleaner, this is wat i alway's use on my trefler. It will grease and clean pritty good and wil wash of by just a little water :)

--
Nacra 5.7 spi 93
--
i respectfully disagree, it may work short term but it's bad for the bearings for the reasons stated above
I'm in the no lubricant camp for all the reasons mentioned. Anything that holds dirt or sand is bad. Keep it clean and out of the dirt.
Second MN3. I have an H 18 and just keep the furler clean, rinse off after every use and rebuild every couple of years or so as needed. I do use McLube on the upper forestay swivel to help keep it working smooth.