San Diego - Beach Cities Oceanside, Dana Point, Newport Beach

wanted to see who might be up to join for an occasional sail. I usually sail out of San Diego Mission Bay, San Diego Bay and Oceanside.
Thanks
Marek

--
Marek
1992 Prindle 19
1981 Prindle 16
--
I recently bought a NACRA 5.2 that my dad and I have now sailed three times. So far we've stuck to the sail bay area of Mission Bay. My first catamaran and we are having a blast. Next time we plan to take the boat out, I'll update this thread.

--
1990 Prindle 19MX
1976 Nacra 5.2
--
Planning on taking the boat out on Sunday. Probably to Mission Bay but might try San Diego bay for the first time.

--
1990 Prindle 19MX
1976 Nacra 5.2
--
I'll be sailing out of the Chula Vista ramp into south San Diego bay on Sunday. Look for the 5.2 that isn't moving as fast as it should!

--
1990 Prindle 19MX
1976 Nacra 5.2
--
Chula Vista ramp is best place to sail South Bay. It's a tight beat to channel opening, but you can do it. If the dinghy dock has any room (need 20'), see if you can befriend someone at California Y.C., then go into office & pay $1/ft (but say 16') for dinghy tie up there. $16/mo is a steal & it's a close reach out to channel. Pete
$16 a month is a steal!
I'm lucky that I have plenty of room at my house so storage isn't an issue for me but I'd save more money than that in gas simply from not needing the truck and trailer every time. Beyond that, the amount of setup and disassemble time saved would be huge. Thanks for the tip. I'll also pass it along to my brother who lives close to that ramp but doesn't have the spare at his house for a boat. You mentioned making a friend at the Y.C. Is that because they require anyone who pays monthly for a dock to be a member or sponsored by one?

This will be my second time using the Chula Vista ramp. I love how the wind blows off of the ramp and you don't need to sail or paddle to the dock like you do at the Mission Bay ramp I was using.

--
1990 Prindle 19MX
1976 Nacra 5.2
--
Years ago, I spotted empty spaces at the dinghy dock. Had a friend who kept his 30+ monoslug at Y.C. We went to office & they said dinghy dock was $1/ft--up to 16' dinghy. So I signed up & kept a H-16 there. Requires good boat handling amoung the slips & a paddle helps. Later I bottom painted below waterline & occasionally just reached down & wiped bottom. South Bay has good wind accelerating off the Cays. Pete
Thanks again for the info. I keep a paddle on the boat just in case but had no issues getting out into the bay last time. In fact, I found it easier than Mission Bay. If it turns out to be a good day sailing Sunday, I'll post the GoPro video. Maybe I'll even see the OP there!

--
1990 Prindle 19MX
1976 Nacra 5.2
--
Going out tomorrow from Chula Vista Marina. So Far 2 cats meeting at 11 am. Should be nice wind.
icon_cool

--
David
Nacra 5.5SL
Nacra 5.2 (sold)
San Diego, CA
--
Sweet! Only a couple hours from me. All I need is a cat now.

Maybe next year.

(Good things come to those who wait right?)

--
Ron
Big Bear Lake, Ca.
1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
1988 Mac 26Dagger
--
how was the sail David? I will be in Europe July but am lookiung forward to go out in August again. I also finally picked up some hiking gear for the colder season on a trip to Santa Barbara where I was able to stop at Murrays. Excellent customer service and the prices are really reasonable for top quality gear. I can only recommend that place to anyone looking for cat gear in SoCal or if S&H is not too crazy for your stuff consider mail ordering.

BTW, does anyone know of reasonable mast up storage in San Diego, Mission or South Bay? It sure would be great to have the boat in the water over Summer but I am not sure whether I like the prospect of having growth on my hulls or having to apply anti-fouling paint...

Marek

--
Marek
1992 Prindle 19
1981 Prindle 16
--
Sailing was excellent in good wing solo with the main only. Check out pier 32 Marina, I see a lot of sailboats on trailers there with masts up.

--
David
Nacra 5.5SL
Nacra 5.2 (sold)
San Diego, CA
--
I'll be out there tomorrow, launching from the Chula Vista ramp. It will be my sister's and my cousin's first time on the boat!

--
1990 Prindle 19MX
1976 Nacra 5.2
--
Just wanted to share my Friday sailing on south bay. One of my best days sailing!

http://youtu.be/3WPloNtZVa8

--
David
Nacra 5.5SL
Nacra 5.2 (sold)
San Diego, CA
--
Cool video David....I was listening to psycho killer when i clicked on the video.Looks like a great days sailing

--
Carl

Dart 18x2
Nacra 5.8
1967 B-LION for sale
1985 Hobie 18
Windrider Rave x2 for sale
--
Going out this Sunday in South Bay San Diego. So far 2 cats going. icon_lol

--
David
Nacra 5.5SL
Nacra 5.2 (sold)
San Diego, CA
--
S M V

shoot more video

--
Carl

Dart 18x2
Nacra 5.8
1967 B-LION for sale
1985 Hobie 18
--
Well not winds I was hoping for but always fun to be on the water.

Here you go Carl, icon_cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK_Nodkty_c

--
David
Nacra 5.5SL
Nacra 5.2 (sold)
San Diego, CA
--
Looks like a good days sailing..very predictable, have to come down soon

--
Carl

Dart 18x2
Nacra 5.8
1967 B-LION for sale
1985 Hobie 18
--
I'll be launching from the Chula Vista ramp this Sunday in my new (to me) Prindle 19MX.
I've been wanting something bigger ever since I discovered that I couldn't enter the Tri-point and similar races in my Nacra 5.2. Looking forward to seeing how the bigger boat and square top main compare to the old Nacra.

--
1990 Prindle 19MX
1976 Nacra 5.2
--
You could just do the tri point on Saturday!

--
Carl

Dart 18x2
Nacra 5.8
1967 B-LION for sale
1985 Hobie 18
--
Tempted but I was planning on getting the boat/trailer titled and registered in my name on Sat. One of those 'nice to have' things before racing.
The standing rigging *looks* good but I'd rather the initial test be within paddle distance of shore when it goes stressed for the first time. My experienced crew has a bad shoulder so I'm going to be sailing with my friend who is new to sailing. For next year, what equipment is required or suggested to sail in the Tri-Point and similar races?

For those staying in San Diego this weekend, I plan on getting to the ramp around 10:45ish.

--
1990 Prindle 19MX
1976 Nacra 5.2
--
I just sent you a msg Grog, if you'd like to crew on my Prindle 19 or 16 or need crew on your boat(s) let me know. I usually sail out of Oceanside or Mission Bay. South Bay is also good for winds. I am crewing at Tri Point this weekend and am looking to get out as much as possible this year. That way maybe I can skipper a boat at a race next year - same as you.

--
Marek
1992 Prindle 19
1981 Prindle 16
--
We take a radio,flares,pfd's, tow rope/righting rope,compass and timer

--
Carl

Dart 18x2
Nacra 5.8
1967 B-LION for sale
1985 Hobie 18
--
onekiwiWe take a radio,flares,pfd's, tow rope/righting rope,compass and timer

Thanks for the list.

Took the 19MX out yesterday. What an amazing boat. Huge improvement over the 5.2 in terms of speed mainly due to how controllable the extra power is.

--
1990 Prindle 19MX
1976 Nacra 5.2
--
Marek and I will be sailing tomorrow (Sunday) out of Chula Vista. Hope to see another cat out on the water. Look for sail #599 and chase us down!

--
1990 Prindle 19MX
1976 Nacra 5.2
--