Can you identify this catamaran sailboat?

I'm a neophyte and just inherited this... Can anyone help me identify what it is by these pictures? I can't find any markings. I'd like to sell it as I don't have the time for another hobby right now. Thanks in advance.

http://www.sarasotawatchrepair.com/cat/20130916_110537.jpg
http://www.sarasotawatchrepair.com/cat/20130916_110548.jpg
http://www.sarasotawatchrepair.com/cat/20130916_110604.jpg
http://www.sarasotawatchrepair.com/cat/20130916_110617.jpg
I was advised that it might be a Nacra? Any specific idea?
Prindle 19mx maybe.... what's the HIN?

--
Rob Jones
1976 Yellow p-16 - parts is parts - hulls cut up
1978 Yellow p-16 - in good working order
1979 White p-15 - parts is parts - hulls cut up
1985 White p-15 - good working order
1982 White NACRA 5.8 - project boat.
1986 White p-16 - in good working order
1975 White Hobie 3.5 - PM me if you want it
--
HIN? Sorry, I know *nothing* about this.
Hull identification number - should be on the stern of starboard hull - (at the back of the right hand hull)

I would have said NACRA too but I've never seen a NACRA that didn't have round crossbeams. Somebody here will know for sure though!

Do you have the mast? and the sails?

--
Rob Jones
--
racer_x3I'm a neophyte and just inherited this... Can anyone help me identify what it is by these pictures?

racer, welcome to TheBeachcats.com,

Looks like a modern design, does that box have the rest of the boat? The logos on the sails would tell you a lot as well as the shape of the rudders (wiggly things at the back) and daggerboards (long thin spear things that pierce the deck).

Where are you located? Can probably find someone to take a look.

The HIN is the Hull Number that all manufactured boats are supposed to have. Usually located on the sterns, but can be imprinted in the fiberglass anywhere, or sometimes on a plate attached to the boat.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
LOL perhaps it is the "White Whale" - the Prindle 20...
How long is it? Is it 20 feet long?

--
Rob Jones
--
Thanks for the input. As soon as I can (tomorrow) I'll check the HIN. It only has the hull, trampoline, and some assorted hardware-- no mast or sails. It does have a carbon / fiberglass? pole tied up under the trampoline; is that a boom?

I'm in Sarasota, FL. Would I need a title for this, or will a bill of sale suffice?
I bet that pole under the tramp is for righting.
No mast or sails? yikes... that typically lowers the value a lot

Most places "unpowered" boats only need a bill of sail. The trailer though probably needs a title.
And that looks like an aluminum trailer with a nice storage box.

--
Rob Jones
--
I'm sure that this will have to sell as a parts- or project-boat. Someone suggested that it looks like a Taipan?
That's what it is - a Taipan.

--
Rob Jones
--
Progress! http://www.ahpc.com.au/index.php/catamarans-3/taipan

So... is this a valuable hull? I'd like to see it go to good use. I'd love to get into sailing myself, but I have to wait until my car project is back together or my girlfriend will smother me in my sleep...
I would keep looking for the rest of the boat if I were you... It had a mast and sails once.

Post a picture of what's in the box

--
Rob Jones
--
I'm fairly certain the box has little or nothing in it, but I will do so tomorrow. There is only one other place that the mast or sails may be, and I will likewise check, though I'm not optimistic. Any idea of value of selling this as a hull to someone who has a donor with mast / sails, etc.?
Turns out I have at least the sails...
Definitely not a Nacra, beams are wrong,(older Nacra used round beams, the newer ones are "D" shaped) & the top rudder mount is to high.

The trailer is an aluminum Trailex & worth money. Take some photos & post it here under Classifieds. You will sell it right away. In fact make a PM post to Andrew, (MN3), he has been looking for one of those, he's in Destin.
If it turns out you don't have a mast,rudders, or blocks, it may be a parts boat. I would search where it came from. The mast may be up in the rafters, or buried in the weeds. The blocks etc could be stored inside. If the sail is in decent shape, post it here too.

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 17, 2013 - 08:22 AM.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
We know it Taipan - most likely a 4.9

--
Rob Jones
--
Yep... good advice. If you can find the mast, then it is worth a few grand. Without the mast... you would have to part it out to get much for it... and be patient in selling it all off. PITA

--
rgranger
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Hobie16, Balboa26, Rhodes 22, O'Brian Windsurfer
--
In Florida to legally purchase, sell or use a boat you need a title. also need a separate registration for the trailer

This has been a hassle (especially for out of state sales)

At our local tax collector, a local sailor was trying to get a title to sell his (old) catamaran and got in an argument with the tax collector.

They told him he was now suspected to be holding stolen property (the boat) and he would have to prove it wasn't stolen and an officer would be out to his house to investigate. he chopped up the boat and threw it out lol

QuoteI'm in Sarasota, FL. Would I need a title for this, or will a bill of sale suffice?

Edited by MN3 on Sep 17, 2013 - 09:56 AM.
haha - close - Dunedin

Quote In fact make a PM post to Andrew, (MN3), he has been looking for one of those, he's in Destin.
Andrew is in Dunedin area, not Destin.

--
Philip
--
MN3In Florida to legally purchase, sell or use a boat you need a title. also need a separate registration for the trailer

He might just get under the wire....

This is from the Florida DMV's website FAQ list...

Is a non-powered vessel required to be registered and titled?

If the non-motor powered vessel is less than 16 feet in length, it is not required to be registered or titled. However, if the vessel is 16 feet or more in length, it is required to be registered and titled.

Is this cat 16' or less? If so... you do not need a title.

--
rgranger
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
--
It looks like a taipan 4.9 to me. It would be 16ft.

That Trailex is pretty old, check the 45 degree castings for cracking.

Edited by bacho on Sep 17, 2013 - 10:56 AM.

--
Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
--
MN3In Florida to legally purchase, sell or use a boat you need a title. also need a separate registration for the trailer

I just looked up the Florida rules. It states that non-motorized boats of 16' or less are exempt form registration.

so how long is this cat? If it is a 4.9, then it is right at 16'. If so, then no title needed.

Ooops Sorry. didn't mean to post twice. My computer did something strange and I didn't see my post.

Edited by rgranger on Sep 17, 2013 - 01:09 PM.

--
rgranger
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
--
I have a mast for a 4.9. It's a blank however so it will need base, top, spreaders etc.

--
Have Fun,
Mike
--
After looking at it again could it be a Taipan 5.7? I know there is or was one on the west coast . Also regarding the registration of boats in Fla. I read something that excludes canoe type hulls from title and registration. Otherwise 18' canoes or kayaks would be required to be titled and registered. Now if you add a motor that changes things. Our boats are canoe type hulls as far as the state of Fla is concerned. The problem would be selling your boat out of state where a title would be necessary.

--
Have Fun,
Mike
--
that is old data - - Copyright ©2008 State of Florida
(http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqboat.html#7 )

as of 2010 - all boats (legally) must be titled, 16' and under don't have to be registered

http://myfwc.com/boating/regulations/#nogo

rgranger

I just looked up the Florida rules. It states that non-motorized boats of 16' or less are exempt form registration.

so how long is this cat? If it is a 4.9, then it is right at 16'. If so, then no title needed.

Edited by MN3 on Sep 17, 2013 - 12:55 PM.
haha - good luck using that as a defense if your ever ticketed

"Vessel Registration
All vessels, with the exception of non-motor-powered vessels less than 16 feet in length, non-motor-powered canoes, kayaks, racing shells or rowing sculls, regardless of length, must be registered through your local Tax Collector's Office"

Quote Our boats are canoe type hulls

Some would even say they are pontoons! LOL

MN3haha - good luck using that as a defense if your ever ticketed

"Vessel Registration
All vessels, with the exception of non-motor-powered vessels less than 16 feet in length, non-motor-powered canoes, kayaks, racing shells or rowing sculls, regardless of length, must be registered through your local Tax Collector's Office"

Quote Our boats are canoe type hulls

--
Rob Jones
--
http://www.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2012/327.02

Read #4. They use the term Canoe and then Canoe like.

--
Have Fun,
Mike
--
overruled!

#(37) “Sailboat” means any vessel whose sole source of propulsion is the wind

catmanhttp://www.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2012/327.02

Read #4. They use the term Canoe and then Canoe like.

Edited by MN3 on Sep 17, 2013 - 05:15 PM.
here is the 2010 law for title (i can not get current year to show) - http://www.leg.state.fl.u…28/Sections/0328.03.html

here is 2011 http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/328.03 - No change

328.03 Certificate of title required.—
(1) Each vessel that is operated, used, or stored on the waters of this state must be titled by this state pursuant to this chapter, unless it is:
(a) A vessel operated, used, or stored exclusively on private lakes and ponds;
(b) A vessel owned by the United States Government;
(c) A non-motor-powered vessel less than 16 feet in length;
(there are more)

AND

(3) A person shall not sell, assign, or transfer a vessel titled by the state without delivering to the purchaser or transferee a valid certificate of title with an assignment on it showing the transfer of title to the purchaser or transferee. A person shall not purchase or otherwise acquire a vessel required to be titled by the state without obtaining a certificate of title for the vessel in his or her name.
(there is more)
In this case, the boat is sold for parts. None of that matters.

--
Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
--
Little late to the party, but this may be helpful.

If it is an AHPC built Taipan, the hull ID can be found inside each hull (or pontoon?). Just open the inspection ports near the transom of each hull. Inside there will be a label with the hull ID laminated into the fiberglass.

--
Jon -- Dallas, TX
Taipan 4.9
--
Those FL DMV ppl would just hate me - I'd screw with em just because I could Break out the Constitution and show em where this is the US and you are still innocent until proven guilty They Must do the proving of guilt Not the other way around...........

--
Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
--
i have 2 18' cats in fl. with no problem with the "water nazis" incidentally oral sex is illegal in fl. and any position other than the missionary position is illegal as well.
racer_x3 - i sent you a private message
So what about the two windsurfers I see sitting on the tramp? Do you have the rigs for those? A new rig is about $400 for those.

--
rgranger
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
--
Quotei sent you a private message

MN3, ditto, appreciate it if you can find the time to send me your opinion to the first PM I sent re the Mystere. Thnx.

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 19, 2013 - 08:09 PM.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--