Injection Sail Cloth, Colorful Technology

Damon and others had asked about a brochure for the DP Injection Sail Cloth that I had used on my Nacra 5.2 restorations. Here is a link to the PDF.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…af4ca236098ad442bce09b6c

--
Craig
Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
Nacra 5.2 Restored and heavily modified
Nacra 5.2 (one under restoration)
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.8NA
SoCal
--
a local ordered a new set of sails (3) for E/P (i think) and was sent a sample of the red

I saw it. - PFU! (pretty freakin' ugly)
he called them up and said "no-way".

It would certainly "stick out" but ...

i wouldn't want it either. (the other colors look much better to me)
MN3a local ordered a new set of sails (3) for E/P (i think) and was sent a sample of the red

I saw it. - PFU! (pretty freakin' ugly)
he called them up and said "no-way".

The way these sails are made I don't think a sample would tell you much. The first set of these injected sails I saw were Joe Procreva's Nacra 20 at OSYC, can't find a picture of it right now, anyone have one? It's got the red sails with red hulls (which have custom flames). It's pretty spectacular.

At Island Hop at OSYC there was an F18 that had a set of these in blue and it was pretty mellow, the color wasn't very bright, but still nice looking. Better than the shades of grey everyone has these days.

Seems like they could make solid colors the same way by mixing the color in with the glue. I'd like to see more color in our beachcat sails!

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=103638&g2_serialNumber=3

--
Ron
Nacra F18
Reservoir Sailing Assn.
Brandon, Mississippi
--
The tangerine (red) sails that I received are nice, but as Demon says, it will depend on hull color. It is hard to get a good idea of the material from the brochure and even with a small sample. When I first pulled the sails out of the bag they didn't wow me. But after pulling them into the sun and seeing the variations as the light passed through, my first thought was that they are going to look pretty great with a set of bright yellow hulls under them.

White on white and grey on white is getting pretty bland. It's when the bright colored spinnakers are flown that I find myself thinking, 'That's a pretty cool looking Cat'.

--
Craig
Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.8NA
SoCal
--
i agree, hull colors make the deal work

craig, your boat looks great!
the blue boat with that blue is amazing

i am still not a fan of the red, even after seeing that pic above.

and i COMPLETELY agree, more color is needed. - but the black and white combo still looks hot in the right situation

http://www.israeltour.com/images/barton-race.jpg
Quotebut the black and white combo still looks hot in the right situation

Everyone take a close look at that one...it would be hot with RAGS for sails!

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
This one??
Tim

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae296/fxloop/DSCF5651_zps3b1dae6b.jpg

--
Tim Grover
1996 Hobie Miracle 20
Two Hobie 14's
1983 G-Cat Restored
Memphis TN / North Mississippi
--
That red I20 gets around. Saw it at Tradewinds last January sailed by a fellow Michigander. Beautiful boat - the airbrush work on the sides was probably more impressive than the sails.

Someone had the green/yellow variety sails on an Infusion. Pink spin didn't do it for me though. Yuck!
http://www.catsailor.com/images/Tradewinds/2013/DSC_1661m.jpg

--
Jeff R
'88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
'10 C2 USA1193
NE IN / SE MI
cramsailing.com
--
So your saying Kevlar goes well with nude co-Ed crews?

--
Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
--
The colors intensity changes often with the direction of the sun.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/black92se/536626_4256566365881_782965170_n.jpg

--
Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
--
I was the previous owner of the red N20. It was a gorgeous boat with black daggers and rudders. I sold it because the hulls got unbearably hot.

--
Philip
--
rehmboThat red I20 gets around. Saw it at Tradewinds last January sailed by a fellow Michigander. Beautiful boat - the airbrush work on the sides was probably more impressive than the sails.

Someone had the green/yellow variety sails on an Infusion. Pink spin didn't do it for me though. Yuck!

Pink plus green is a poor color combination. All pink would be fine, grow some balls.
Edchris177Everyone take a close look at that one...it would be hot with RAGS for sails!

Thanks for the head's up- I would have completely missed the detail on those hulls had you not pointed it out.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
Well just in case anyone is wondering about cost - I had a set priced for one of my Non Catamarans A set of dacron sails in 5.7oz were priced for 1500.00, the Infusion sails were 2500.00 from the same sailmaker. In this case I want the sails more for advertising impact (btw Ad Logos NOT included in this price) so for me is it worth 1000.00 extra to have something to catch your eye - YEP!!

--
Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
--
Are these made (new sail) with the color injection or can you add to existing sail? icon_confused

--
Will
Indian Shores, FL
Newbie but catching on fast.
NACRA 17
--
new laminate sails - guess you could twist up the old sails and do the tie dye thing. Know any hippies???

--

--
Lee,

The Infusion sails from SLO Sail and Canvas were only 10% more than the standard laminate. They now show my 5.2 on their site and list the main sail cost as $1,150. All I can say is shop around. I contacted a sail maker in Huntington Beach and they were over $2K for the main. You can check out the tangerine sail held up to the light on their site http://www.slosailandcanvas.com/servlet/the-1913/Nacra-5.2-Radial-Laminate/Detail

--
Craig
Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.8NA
SoCal
--
It was a $200 upgrade for me, so only a 5% increase in cost on a new set.
Craig is that your 5.7 in the profile pic and where was the shot taken and the sail number. It looks just like my old 5.7 sail number SH22

--
2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
www.fleet250.org
Facebook: Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club
--
bachoSo your saying Kevlar goes well with nude co-Ed crews?

Taste less yet tasteful haha

--
2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
www.fleet250.org
--
Jenna,

Yes that's my 5.7 also. San Diego, sail 252.

--
Craig
Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.8NA
SoCal
--
nacraflyerJenna,

Yes that's my 5.7 also. San Diego, sail 252.

I had Elliot Pattison make me up a set of square tops for it in mylar,, greatly improved the boat speed and light air handling. I sold the 5.7 sails to a guy in Miama
Florida

--
2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
www.fleet250.org
--
samc99us
rehmboThat red I20 gets around. Saw it at Tradewinds last January sailed by a fellow Michigander. Beautiful boat - the airbrush work on the sides was probably more impressive than the sails.

Pink plus green is a poor color combination. All pink would be fine, grow some balls.

That's one of sarasotas club boat. I think we bought it with those sails. But I'm not a fan of the spinnaker

--
Angelo
1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
SARASOTA, FLORIDA
S.S.S
S.Y.S.P
--
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/optikid/facebook_-536331416_zpsdbf717a8.jpg

--
Angelo
1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
SARASOTA, FLORIDA
S.S.S
S.Y.S.P
--
Craig

That quote was from SLO It was also from Dacron to Infusion vs a laminate to infusion so that may be the big difference These were quoted for my Capri 22 with 115% headsail

--

--
I ordered a new set of sails from Elliot Pattison in the purple and red injection DP sail material. Woot. Gonna be a bright colorful new sailing season

Edited by JennaMeyer on Dec 13, 2013 - 09:37 AM.

--
2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
www.fleet250.org
--
Let us know what you think of the purple when you get it. I have the green and the red for the two Nacra 5.2's, and I'm going to redo my Nacra 5.8 hulls in bright Canary Yellow gel coat this winter. I am trying to decide if I want a different color sail material on the 5.8, or stick with the green or red.

--
Craig
Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.8NA
SoCal
--
nacraflyer,, sure will. They have changed the color pattern slightly so the original material isn't exactly like the original. But it is a unique to the batch process as they are small runs of material. They asked me for pictures of the sails on the boat in the spring for promo stuff I guess. Should be kewl with my florescent pink spinnaker up. talk about bammmmm effect. I told Ian Elliot I wasn't in a hurry but now I'm like a kid opening gifts on xmas morning wanting to see them

--
2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
www.fleet250.org
--
[ They have changed the color pattern slightly so the original material isn't exactly like the original. ]

Well that sure was confusing even to me, it should have said, ( The new material isn't exactly like the original )

--
2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
www.fleet250.org
--
Time for a new main. icon_biggrin BTW clearwater will be helping with Olympic training.

--
Will
Indian Shores, FL
NACRA 17
--
QuoteTime for a new main.

Good luck with that, the 17 is a great boat. We have quite a few of them in our fleet

--
2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
www.fleet250.org
--
I was wanting the Blue Injection sail cloth for my main, however I think I am going for the all black and white look (I still have new NACRA graphics Blue/ black, I can just not put blue on). I have narrowed my search to three sail makers making decision this week.

Jenna thank you, I went from a Hobie wave to my Inter 17. I am very confident now but damn what a jump 2 years ago. icon_biggrin

WILL

--
Will
Indian Shores, FL
NACRA 17
--
My new Purple/ blue sails are in the Elliot Pattison loft under manufacturer. It is the later/ newer color combo of the DP material. They (DP) will do small runs for the beachcat market. I got pictures of the roll in the loft this past Friday from Ian Elliot. Cant wait to fly them on my Infusion.

--
2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
www.fleet250.org
--
QuoteI'd like to see more color in our beachcat sails!

Long live color. The grey stuff was nice as a change up for about 6 months then it got really old fast. The problem with these grey sails is they get lost on the water and hard to see. That is a problem if you ever get in trouble way out on the edge where the earth ends and you fall over the edge into oblivion. I hate when that happens

Edited by JennaMeyer on Jan 20, 2014 - 10:04 AM.

--
2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
www.fleet250.org
--
Here is the finished main sail on the loft floor. It is basically is done except for the Nacra logo and sail number
I love it.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ctures/?g2_itemId=107165
http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=107166&g2_serialNumber=4

--
2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
www.fleet250.org
--
JennaMeyerHere is the finished main sail on the loft floor.

Nice! I like how they did the large window with the curved leading end.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Okay Jenna how do you like the new sails? I need to replace mine before spring sailing season and the infused sails look hot! We look forward to statue run again this year!

--
Ted
Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
Upstate NY lake sailing
--
customcraftsmanOkay Jenna how do you like the new sails? I need to replace mine before spring sailing season and the infused sails look hot! We look forward to statue run again this year!

I'm not Jenna but I like mine! This was the thread where I became inspired to get the die infused sails for my Hobie 18, Skip and Ian Elliot went out of there way to get everything just as I wanted, and then spent a lot of time on the phone with my this summer giving tips on sail trim so I'd get the most out of it.

I went from the light grey sails that were nearly invisible on the water to these that can be seen from space. icon_biggrin

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
You guys have chosen great sails, love those EP's!
I truly believe beach cat sails need to be vivid, loud and recognizable from a long distance, not just plain white/grey?
Since I'm a relatively recent Beach cat owner ( 5 years ) I can't tell you how excited I get driving over a bridge or near a beach whilst scanning the ocean/lake/beach and see multicolored sails out on the water. Instantly want to head to the local sail club, buy rounds of beer for everyone and reflect on my personal ear to ear grins from sailing! One day I'll get to try out a brand new sail set but from the race results I've seen, they're worth every penny!

--
Tim Grover
1996 Hobie Miracle 20
Two Hobie 14's
1983 G-Cat Restored
Memphis TN / North Mississippi
--
Damon any pictures of your sails. I thought that was what you had.

--
Ted
Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
Upstate NY lake sailing
--
Ted,

My avatar picture is my H18 with the new EP sails,

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=110435&g2_serialNumber=3

there are a bunch of others in the Juana Good Time album here.
http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures?g2_itemId=109637

This picture shows how big the square top is, my previous grey Pentex squaretop from Whirlwind Sails had about a 24 inch squaretop, this one is 53 inches and at a more square angle. The total sail area is about the same as the previous squaretop and of a stock Hobie sail due to less roach down the sail.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=109648&g2_serialNumber=3

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Damon, how does the pentex jib hold up with furling?
I leave mine rigged all summer, & have heard pentex degrades when snugly furled.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
--
Edchris177Damon, how does the pentex jib hold up with furling?
I leave mine rigged all summer, & have heard pentex degrades when snugly furled.

I don't leave my jib rolled up all season so couldn't tell you for sure. My general rule is I'll leave the jib furled if I'm going to sail the next day for sure, otherwise I take it down.

Furling is bad for sails because of both sun and wind damage. I you use a furling sock type cover those sometimes are loose enough to flog in the wind and damage the sail by friction, and in my area mud wasps love to build nests in the folds of the sail. If you don't use a cover then the leech gets a ton of UV damage.

I can understand that leaving the jib furled can make things so much easier if you sail a lot that it might pay to just consider the jib a "wear item" and plan to replace it often.

I haven't read anything definitive on the comparative damage between woven and laminate sails in those cases.

The EP color injected sails use the heavier 3 mil mylar instead of 1.5 so they feel sturdier than sails made with less expensive cloth. EP doesn't have a "budget" line of sails, so any sails they build are meant to be the best they can build for the application. My Hobie 18 jib has several short battens sewn into the leech at such an angle that when the sail is furled they line up with the forestay. I'd never had that on any previous sail and completely eliminated the "flutter" common on the giant H18 jib.

I will warn anyone who makes the jump from "soft" dacron sails to the high-end laminate sails used on all the modern beachcats is that they do require different handling when raising and lowering to avoid kinking or creasing the sail which can damage the mylar or fibers in the sandwich. Most of us roll, rather than fold the main sail, but fold or "wad" the jib with old dacron sails and you don't want to do that with laminates.

The good side is they aren't prone to stains like woven cloth sails.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
QuoteIf you don't use a cover then the leech gets a ton of UV damage.

I thought the socks were a PITA, I had the sailmaker sew a UV strip to all my jibs, (it goes along foot & leech) none of the sail is exposed when furled.
When keeping the Cats on a modified Seadoo lift, it is a real PITA to hoist or remove jib, maybe less for you cause you're 10' tall icon_biggrin
Standing between the hulls, in waist deep water I can barely touch the furling drum. In order to hoist/remove a jib you have to place a 2x6 across the hulls to sit on. The Mystere 6XL, with a 10' beam was worse, so I hoist it once & leave it furled.
Maybe for new jibs I'll just stick with Dacron.
QuoteMy Hobie 18 jib has several short battens sewn into the leech at such an angle that when the sail is furled they line up with the forestay. I'd never had that on any previous sail and completely eliminated the "flutter" common on the giant H18 jib.

The old Nacra jibs have those, originally they were parallel to the foot. I left them out once & it fluttered, unless sheeted to the max, which can be counterproductive.
When I went to furling the sailmaker removed them & installed 2 new ones, that matched the forestay, but were twice as long, to make up for the angle. If you don't match the forestay it furls like crap.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
--
Damon I just ordered the injection in Tangerine! it is going to be LOUD! Now I cant really wait for the Ice to melt up here! 4 more weeks till the first community fleet race at Sacandaga!

--
Ted
Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
Upstate NY lake sailing
--
customcraftsmanDamon I just ordered the injection in Tangerine! it is going to be LOUD! Now I cant really wait for the Ice to melt up here! 4 more weeks till the first community fleet race at Sacandaga!

Cool, that's going to be awesome on the big 21SE.

Got to ask, did you order from EP or "brand x"?

Damon
customcraftsmanDamon I just ordered the injection in Tangerine! it is going to be LOUD! Now I cant really wait for the Ice to melt up here! 4 more weeks till the first community fleet race at Sacandaga!

Congrats!
jib too?
damonlinkous

Cool, that's going to be awesome on the big 21SE.

Got to ask, did you order from EP or "brand x"?

Damon

yes I ordered the job and main. Square top!
Skip Eliot is building it.

--
Ted
Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
Upstate NY lake sailing
--
customcraftsman
yes I ordered the job and main. Square top!
Skip Eliot is building it.

Nice, can't wait to see the pictures. Have you been using stock sails or were you already using a square-top or pentex sail? I found it to be much more of a change than I exprected when I got my first Pentex Square-top and another big change to the more powerful EP sails. Really had to learn to sail the boat all over again.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Talked to skip tonight and the material has arrived and should get cut tomorrow! Can't wait to see what they will look like. This will be my first sailing with square top sail. They will most likely be more powerful than the used sails I have been using. They were delaminating as season went on last year and I could tell performance was lagging.http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54521

--
Ted
Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
Upstate NY lake sailing
--
I am very happy with mine from EP in the red blue. Very explosive color
Jenna

--
2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
www.fleet250.org
--
JennaMeyerI am very happy with mine from EP in the red blue. Very explosive color
Jenna

Hi Jenna, your sails were the inspiration to take the plunge, I went from nearly invisible light-grey sails to "hard to miss". icon_biggrin

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Sails arrived and we went sailing yesterday. Pretty awesome. Boat points very high now. Will post pictures!

--
Ted
Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
Upstate NY lake sailing
--