Mid Life Crisis, what have I done, a pic of my soon new to be cat

Hey, been lurking for years but never really had anything I thought was worth while to share or post. But I would like some opines on my soon new to be cat. I'll get her in about three weeks. Below is a pic of her at Aquarius getting a final check out and refit. I'll be the second owner, the original owner is getting a brand new one but all carbon. icon_eek Lord knows what that will cost. Mine has the Kevlar hulls, alum beams and alum 38.5' mast. The sails coming with her only have half a season on them and cost the original owner just over $6k...wtf.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/flfingermullet/IMAG0546.jpg

I live in South Florida, North Palm Beach to be specific and my soon new to be baby will be parked in my back yard on a Jet Dock, mast up always, well except for an oncoming hurricane, and ready to roll. My canal to open water and the palm beach inlet is about a mile long so I had Aquarius build a little kicker bracket for her, oddly not in the pic because they said they already fabricated it, and going to put either a Torqeedo or propane kicker on her. Anyone got either?

Now the best part, Aquarius is shipping my new baby to Bill himself, whom lives just less than an hour north of me, and he himself is going to come to my pad and help me rig and tune her (well actually he is going to tell me what to do..lol)

I don't have any friends that really know how to sail so I will probably be solo a lot, anyone live close by? Give me a shout. icon_biggrin
i live on the water in boynton bch. i have a 30' iroquois, a 18' solcat, and a 18' nacra 18 square. i would like to sail on an aquarius. you can e-mail me at mwsheridandds@aol.com
marc
The ARC22 is a fantastic boat. Although you are living on the edge if you plan on going it solo.

--
Philip
--
QuoteAlthough you are living on the edge if you plan on going it solo.

+1

Unless you are very experienced cat sailor, get some experienced crew 1 or even 2.

Congrats -- that's a beast! icon_wink

--
Jack B
Hobie 17
BC, Canada
--
Hey wait a second. That isn't a Corvette!? You are supposed to get a Corvette for a mid life crisis! :)

Wow, that is going to be a beast. I can't imagine what double trapping a 12 ft beam might be like. Have fun!

--
Dave Bonin
1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
--
I used to own a super cat 20 and loved it. Not a tall rig but with a short spin pole and big reacher. I found it easiest to sail with a crew of 3. One of the crew on the jib, the other with mainsheet and traveler. Skipper just driving. Dave Posey from Riveria Beach made and maintained my sails, he was a big advocate of Super Cats and I beleive he made a lot of the sails for Bill Roberts, one of, if not the best sailors of this platform. I also still live in South Florida, Delray Beach and would also enjoy a ride.
PS I sold my SC 20 in 2000 and it went across the border to Canada
That is nice.

--
Will
Indian Shores, FL
Newbie but catching on fast.
NACRA 17
--
Careful kid you will shoot your eye out with that. Good luck with her she is beautiful. Solo? Really? Rule of thumb, the bigger the boat the bigger the crew. Most folks that have big beach cats have a hard time keeping an adequate crew that have the same enthusiasm as the skipper. Get to work finding 6 hardcore people (not bodies) lined up in the next three weeks and cycle them regularly so you are fine tuned group. Enjoy

--
2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
www.fleet250.org
Facebook: Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club
--
From my experience I would get to know the boat before you try and solo it. I took my 18ht out the first day I had it all put together and capsized withing the first 40mins.. Only to put a hole in the side from my harness and then realize I did not weigh enough to flip it upright.. Luckily a near by power boater was able to stop and help.. It was a mess, really fun though lol.. After a year now of sailing and racing it I am now only considering taking it out solo on a windy day.. I have seen the power and size of the 22 and you would be crazy to solo it and definitely not able to right it if you needed. How did you find a boat like that for 6K? I would have picked that up in a heart beat too! Did he list an advert or did you know the guy?
QuoteFrom my experience I would get to know the boat before you try and solo it. I took my 18ht out the first day I had it all put together and capsized withing the first 40mins..

Haha,, You too will shoot yer eye out kid. LOL. I always love the newcomer to the beach that buys a boat has no clue of how to right it and whamo less then an hour and they are standing on the inside of a hull saying Oh Crap. Its really fun to watch and I think we have all been there at one point. I still rmember sailing my first pram head on into a concrete bridge support over Rt70 not expecting the wind shift on the other side of the bridge. I think the operator of the bridge had a heart attack looking for this young teenager when out the other side I popped like a cork in the water. The hull took the shot and down the Manasquan River we went needing new undies icon_cool

Edited by JennaMeyer on May 13, 2013 - 10:02 AM.

--
2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
www.fleet250.org
Facebook: Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club
--
That is sick.

I live in Palm Beach Gardens, I'll be looking for you on the water.
Awesome !!!! I know how the smaller versions of these are. I agree with the FIND crew. And please consult your doctor and make sure your heart is healthy enough for riding this gal !!! icon_eek Also remember to seek medical help for any perma-grin lasting more than a week. icon_biggrin icon_lol icon_biggrin
Well, you've ordered a rocket- do you at least have a pilot's license? icon_lol
Mast up storage is a necessity in this case. I cannot imagine stepping an aluminum mast ten feet longer than the one I have.
Your learning curve is going to be steep.
We are all jealous of your ship. She's beautiful!

Don't know what your skill level is with cats, but my two cents is get out on the water with at least one other person. The first time you pop a hull in a big gust you could be sliding down the tramp so fast you will lose control of everything and capsize. Can you right this cat alone? What does Bill have to say on you singlehanding this 22 foot cruise missle?

This is just my opinion, and it is selfishly motivated. I want to hear stories, see photos and vids of you having a great time on your cat. I do not want you to sail this solo and crash, get hurt or discouraged and walk away from the sport.
Nearly everyone has a drivers license and a car, comparitively few have a Maserati and even fewer know how to drive it at 200 MPH. You have just purchased a Maserati. Please see earlier learning curve comment.
Have fun and share your good times with us. Can't wait to see you on the water!

Edited by klozhald on May 14, 2013 - 11:47 AM.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
The main place I've seen these things raced is at the Juana Good Times Regatta at Navarre Beach. They are an amazing site, coming by like freight trains triple-trapped.

Congratulations.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
that puppy would be 2 handfulls trying to raise/drop the main solo before entering/exiting the canal icon_eek !

--
Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
bill harris
hattiesburg, mississippi
prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
--
Quote Also remember to seek medical help for any perma-grin lasting more than a week.

+100

QuoteHow did you find a boat like that for 6K? I would have picked that up in a heart beat too!

..........a refurbed (Bristol) ARC22 costs substantially more than $6k ........... maybe more like 40-50k (please see the original post).........6k is a reference to what the previous owner paid for a suit of sails.

Congratulations on the fine choice of boat. Tell us more about your sailing experience and definitely post a photo of the delivery day!

Edited by havliii on May 15, 2013 - 05:25 AM.

--
'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
--
Think I'll sell mine... move to Fl and live in my car across the street.
Mooched rides before and I can do it again.

Niiice ride. Very sexy.

--
Mooched Beachcats in the past
Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
--
marcs2i live on the water in boynton bch. i have a 30' iroquois, a 18' solcat, and a 18' nacra 18 square. i would like to sail on an aquarius. you can e-mail me at mwsheridandds@aol.com
marc

You will get an email when I get things sorted, perhaps a month.
WolfmanHey wait a second. That isn't a Corvette!? You are supposed to get a Corvette for a mid life crisis! :)

Wow, that is going to be a beast. I can't imagine what double trapping a 12 ft beam might be like. Have fun!
M

Corvette....F that, I got a KTM 300 xc-w for go fast on land thru the woods. Quickest two wheels in town. lol.

Now double trapping 12'.....should be fun and a big fall, my experience is limited to Tornados....aaahh whats two feet....lol.
SC19That is sick.

Hey SC19 you live just around the corner.....shoot perhaps we could ride some swells against each other this October.....got a pic of your sc19??? I have Never seen you.
HULLFLYERI used to own a super cat 20 and loved it. Not a tall rig but with a short spin pole and big reacher. I found it easiest to sail with a crew of 3. One of the crew on the jib, the other with mainsheet and traveler. Skipper just driving. Dave Posey from Riveria Beach made and maintained my sails, he was a big advocate of Super Cats and I beleive he made a lot of the sails for Bill Roberts, one of, if not the best sailors of this platform. I also still live in South Florida, Delray Beach and would also enjoy a ride.
PS I sold my SC 20 in 2000 and it went across the border to Canada

You sir will be getting a PM from me as soon as I get settled. I really want to get a cruising set of sails with reef points ..... just not sure how you do that on a boom-less rig?? Just new tack and clew and tie it up....wtf...lol.
H14Tav8orAwesome !!!! I know how the smaller versions of these are. I agree with the FIND crew. And please consult your doctor and make sure your heart is healthy enough for riding this gal !!! icon_eek Also remember to seek medical help for any perma-grin lasting more than a week. icon_biggrin icon_lol icon_biggrin

I just bought a perma grin detector....I may have issues
We race against one on a weekly basis. This is NOT a boat for single handing AT ALL. They are overpowered 2-up in 12 kts of breeze. It's a BIG boat. Might want to keep it in the channel for a little bit, getting out through those inlets can be a bet hairy.

As to cruising sails with reef points, I'd just get a set of smaller sails cut. Honestly in anything more than 5-8 kts of breeze you'd feel safer with less sail area up while cruising. Also, a dacron main really won't work, need to be able to crank the downhaul on like a modern boat.

Stay safe, have fun!

Edited by samc99us on May 22, 2013 - 01:25 PM.
QuoteDave Posey from Riveria Beach made and maintained my sails, he was a big advocate of Super Cats and I beleive he made a lot of the sails for Bill Roberts, one of, if not the best sailors of this platform.

Dave Posey did make the sails and I have an original set, according to Matt Haberman, that came with my '85 SC19. They needed a bit of work but hey try and find an '85 Ford that runs period. What an opportunity to get Haberman, Roberts and Posey all together the day the boat arrives there for you. WOW could you learn a lot from those 3 about this rocket. Jealous meter just pegged a bit higher....Photo op for the entire sport, on your boat, as those three had almost as big an affect on it as Hobie did.

Edited by H14Tav8or on May 23, 2013 - 09:54 AM.
flfingermullet
SC19That is sick.

Hey SC19 you live just around the corner.....shoot perhaps we could ride some swells against each other this October.....got a pic of your sc19??? I have Never seen you.

Sold my old boat and don't have one right now, I boat whore when time and opportunity arises. There is a 19 in Jupiter I am trying to pry out of the owners hands, has custom Posey sails.

There is a really tricked out SC20 on Singer Island that sails a bit, I think the owners name is Craig.
flfingermulletHey, been lurking for years but never really had anything I thought was worth while to share or post. But I would like some opines on my soon new to be cat. I'll get her in about three weeks. Below is a pic of her at Aquarius getting a final check out and refit.

flfingermullet,

Did you get her on the water yet? Report please!

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
SC19Sold my old boat and don't have one right now, I boat whore when time and opportunity arises. There is a 19 in Jupiter I am trying to pry out of the owners hands, has custom Posey sails.

There is a really tricked out SC20 on Singer Island that sails a bit, I think the owners name is Craig.

Hey SC19 are you really a boat whore...I need one. lol. All I would ask is helping me wash her when done and actually show up at agreed upon times, unlike most of my friends.

Now I am figuring you are Snookslanger on floridasportsman....true? If so I think we could have some fun, being a FS member I assume you will have no issue with trolling a wahoo wire line and a gaff Velcroed to the mast. icon_lol

Edited by flfingermullet on Jun 16, 2013 - 11:54 PM.
DamonLinkous
flfingermulletHey, been lurking for years but never really had anything I thought was worth while to share or post. But I would like some opines on my soon new to be cat. I'll get her in about three weeks. Below is a pic of her at Aquarius getting a final check out and refit.

flfingermullet,

Did you get her on the water yet? Report please!

Aquarius, F'd up the motor mount....well their sub did. They are fixing, top notch group. I should get her by the end of the month.

Oh, did buy my kicker got a torqueedo.
i have a sc19 and it is a beast and it's fast. last week we hit 20kts. but i would not sail it solo it's to powerful in stronger winds to hold it down and have a good time sailing. i can't imagine sailing a sc22 solo.

some videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idRqUCdmWr4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VRyHJQZ1uM

good luck with your new cat take it easy on the beginning she is a beast

bernd

sc19 nacra5.8 dragonfly 800
vkmi have a sc19 and it is a beast and it's fast. last week we hit 20kts. but i would not sail it solo it's to powerful in stronger winds to hold it down and have a good time sailing. i can't imagine sailing a sc22 solo.

some videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idRqUCdmWr4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VRyHJQZ1uM

good luck with your new cat take it easy on the beginning she is a beast

bernd

sc19 nacra5.8 dragonfly 800

Cool video, that water looks COLD!!! Where you located?

This is the only decent video I have found of my new girl in action, please note the warm waters. icon_biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ok9j2hYJ8

Edited by flfingermullet on Jun 17, 2013 - 12:15 AM.
flfingermullet
Oh, did buy my kicker got a torqueedo.

Nice, that's one high-end trolling motor! Perfect match for your rocket ship if you are going to have an outboard. Would like to see a pic of the finished mounting.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Ok I got her, Bill and Tom helped me tune her

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/flfingermullet/IMAG0012_BURST002_COVER.jpg

Stepping the mast is easy solo with the arc22 see ....Tom solo with Bill supervising btw arc22 gin pole setup is awesome....just sayin.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/flfingermullet/IMAG0015.jpg

Getting the tramp rigged icon_biggrin

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/flfingermullet/IMAG0017.jpg

Bill and Tom arguing about my trapeze setup, Bill's son on left seems to have no issue...lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/flfingermullet/IMAG0018.jpg

Finally, dunked Bill and Tom on the right my coworkers with tow bote on the left. icon_biggrin

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/flfingermullet/IMAG0019_BURST002_COVER.jpg

Setting up her new pad. icon_biggrin

btw, if you are ever considering a floating dock, get a jet dock, mine is over ten years old and sheet it looks new and was easy to mod for the arc, just sayin.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/flfingermullet/IMAG0020.jpg

Her new pad, now I got to work to pay for this sheet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/flfingermullet/IMAG0022.jpg

Edited by flfingermullet on Jul 07, 2013 - 08:39 PM.
I have a 22 as well, feel free to contact me if you want to chat.

Dave
Flathead Lake, MT
I need a cigarette after watching that

WOW! sweet ride - congrats

QuoteThis is the only decent video I have found of my new girl in action, please note the warm waters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ok9j2hYJ8
oops....lol I thought was your vid. icon_rolleyes

Edited by flfingermullet on Jul 08, 2013 - 09:25 PM.
I move we have a Beachcats.com conference in his back yard. All in favor?

--
Mooched Beachcats in the past
Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
--