Hobie Cat 16 Pylons

Anyone familiar with this part? These being the anchor posts glassed into each hull.

They appear to be cut-to-size mast extrusions and I am looking for source or part number or original mast shape and maker, if that makes sense.

--
Leave places better for having been there; respect others,
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Harper Lee - Scout, To Kill a Mockingbird.
Congress needs fixing, fix it!
--
Are they not the standard 16 mast extrusion?

--
Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
--
Not 100% certain, but I think they are the H 14 mast extrusion.

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
In a effort to answer this and other important life questions, my crew and I carefully dissected a Hobie using state of the art techniques.

We found the answer to be "Yes"

http://youtu.be/n_ab6ge23UE

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/black92se/null_zps0cbb6e80.jpg

--
Greenville SC

--
I am sure you can go on the Hobie Cat forums or call Hobie and ask Matt Miller the question and will get the answer you are looking for.
HULLFLYERI am sure you can go on the Hobie Cat forums or call Hobie and ask Matt Miller the question and will get the answer you are looking for.

He could do that but Bacho's way is way more fun.

--
Pete Knapp
Schodack landing,NY
Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
--
bachoIn a effort to answer this and other important life questions, my crew and I carefully dissected a Hobie using state of the art techniques.

We found the answer to be "Yes"

http://youtu.be/n_ab6ge23UE

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/black92se/null_zps0cbb6e80.jpg

Bacho,
I love your techinique and problem solving abilities... icon_lol

--
Adam Bartos
Nacra 5.0
SolCat 18 (sold)
Lake Zurich, IL
--
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/black92se/null_zps2ec6aff9.jpg

--
Greenville SC

--
Much appreciated...appears the pylons are 16 mast extrusions, cut to size...now, what I need to know is the source and part number for the extrusions...if that is possible. Just go to the Hobie reference person noted above and ask? Or, who makes the masts for Hobie...?

Edited by BobBill on May 15, 2013 - 05:25 AM.

--
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Harper Lee - Scout, To Kill a Mockingbird.
--
Maybe Hobie makes their own extrusions?

--
--
How much do you need? If this is a one time project, chopping up a 16 mast would be very economical.

--
Greenville SC

--
Bacho, Thanks.

Yes, I had not thought of that...maybe some bent ones out there, but, what I really need is a spar that is just one size larger, to fit over the pylons which is reason was looking for the maker.

I am constructing a proa outrigger from a s'board 19 and port 16 - salvaged hulls to give them new life and to give me a fun beer boat...

Was going to weld into angle and connect to beams. Yesterday I decided to lop off stern of the 16 hull and add a pylon to match the 19 notches...kind of a design in progress...but I have to refurbish and do hull refinements first, then the akas then the paint then cruise.

Edited by BobBill on May 15, 2013 - 08:29 AM.

--
--
Maybe the H16 mast extrusion would fit over since it is bigger.
I have about 6ft of H14 mast left over from a conversion project that I use to keep my trailer and car from rolling down my driveway (neither one currently has a parking brake). I'd sell it to you for not much more than shipping if you are interested.

--
Cesar (Cez) S.
Hobie 16 (had a few)
Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
--
cezo823Maybe the H16 mast extrusion would fit over since it is bigger.
I have about 6ft of H14 mast left over from a conversion project that I use to keep my trailer and car from rolling down my driveway (neither one currently has a parking brake). I'd sell it to you for not much more than shipping if you are interested.

Cezar. Much thanks. I am not sure that would work. But when I get to working on this project this weekend, will know more and get back to you. I just realized that the beam positions are not parallel and may have to alter plan a bit...at any rate, the added piece would have to fit over the 16 pylon.

--
--
It is raining here and hulls are outside, so will get back Sat or Sun. I am trying to engineer a way to use the two starboard ends and attaching parts as easy fit, but will join to larger beam...interesting project this.

--
--
Are you using the castings, or are you trying to cut the pylons at a 45 and weld them?

--
Greenville SC

--
Bacho, Excellent ?.

No castings. Am using H-18/19 main hull and the outrigger is the 16, with stern shortened. got me thinking again...If I use 6061 T6 pipe or tube, and cut to fit, maybe will work. I was thinking of using starboard beam ends for anchors to main hull and then connecting to fit to the pylons on the 16 somehow.

I have also thought of doing what you suggest, the weld, and then telescoping akas into each other with pipe inserts for rigidity...

A seemingly minor thing is that the aka centers are not exact, with the 16 about 8 inches shorter between centers, but that seems not a big problem, even if I have to add new anchor point.

I am also going to add a third aka forward...to lengthen deck - beer cooler space.

I live in small town and will have to ask Pete (local welder) if he can handle the angles and also see if the beams or akas can be adapted...If the above addy is your email, I can send drawing for better idea...I have even thought of lashing the akas to the 16 hull or both...this works, great way to recycle these hulls...

--
--
Sounds like some corner castings would be of great value. They would help with the beam distance problem. The stock beams may even work at that point.

--
Greenville SC

--
Bacho, I have been working that idea around my head...how to connect: different sizes (18 vs 16 akas) and the distances between the pylons and the 18 anchor points are different, which will require custom work, but it cannot be spendy or complicated, which would defeat the intent.

If the frame/beams/akas are the same size, maybe I might be able to use the forward port corner, not sure about aft corner.

The idea is worth the thinking about, and I am going to put it to paper and hit Hobie 16 sites for some more info.

You have an idea how this might be accomplished, have at it, more heads are better.

I was going to put this up on SA and BoatDesign, but decided to keep screen time down.

Pity I cannot put up a pic here , but I can give you a link to see what I have in mind, just remember the aft aka might not be a simple beam, but either angled or have a short angled leg to the aft port pylon...

Link is here: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=146167&page=4#entry4144879

Go down to post 327 but you might want to read the entire thread, fairly funny stuff, mixed with some serious stuff, and you will need to be able to decipher facetious sarcasm, if there is such a thing, from the serious stuff.

Edited by BobBill on May 18, 2013 - 07:17 AM.

--
--