How Much Will You Sail This Year?

How Much Will You Sail This Year?
  • More than last year? Less?
  • Will you travel to out of town regattas? How far?
  • Locally, do you know of new beachcat sailors getting started?
  • What will you do to promote beachcat sailing?

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
How Much Will You Sail This Year? - every chance i get

More than last year? Less? - same (a lot)

Will you travel to out of town regattas? How far? - Prob not. I went to the Cedar Key small boat fest last year.. it was cool but a lot of stress driving my cat on US19

Locally, do you know of new beachcat sailors getting started? Yes

What will you do to promote beachcat sailing? - showboat / grandstand and do glory runs flying the hull up and down the gulf coast / intra-coastal areas to inspire others to want to sail cats
A lot more. at least a few times a month and will attend most regattas I can find within a 6 hour radius of Memphis. Putting a lot of time and money ( not too much ) into restoring a nice H16 so i'll be able to get two on the water this spring with friends. Arkabuttla looks to be filling up nice and there's a couple new beachcats there, should be a great season this year. icon_cool

--
Tim Grover
1996 Hobie Miracle 20
Two Hobie 14's
1983 G-Cat Restored
Memphis TN / North Mississippi
--
fxloop Arkabuttla looks to be filling up nice and there's a couple new beachcats there, should be a great season this year. icon_cool

I really hope so, it cuts way down on my local sailing when the water levels at Arkabutla are screwed up. Last six years have been generally bad, either too high or too low. Last year the lake was dry all season.

Was finally able to fix the water level chart, the Corp of Engineers had changed their site and buried it, but you can now track the lake at

http://deltasailing.com/i…ge&func=display&pageid=2

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
As much as I possibly can!! Unfortunately, I am just crew-in-training and not a boat owner, so that limits my ability to sail. I hope to attend some regattas both close and far, and if I can get good/confident enough, be able to buy and sail my own boat one of these days.... icon_smile

--
Jennifer
Columbus, IN
--
newsailgalAs much as I possibly can!! Unfortunately, I am just crew-in-training and not a boat owner, so that limits my ability to sail. I hope to attend some regattas both close and far, and if I can get good/confident enough, be able to buy and sail my own boat one of these days.... icon_smile

If you can arrange to be at regattas and talk to folks the day before racing you can usually end up crewing. Great way to get started and sail lots of different beachcats.

What part of the country are you in?

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
How Much Will You Sail This Year? - as much as time or my wife allow, hopefully more than last year. icon_cool

Will you travel to out of town regattas? - not planning to. Cat stays mast up entire season and we have few local races.

Locally, do you know of new beachcat sailors getting started? - not yet

What will you do to promote beachcat sailing? - get as many chics on board as I can fit icon_lol , maybe free bear? icon_confused ...NOT

--
Adam Bartos
Nacra 5.0
SolCat 18 (sold)
Lake Zurich, IL
--
Humm, Great question, I plan sail at least twice a week unless concentrating on wind surfing. I am a little of a "nut" at the clearwatersailing center. I may be the only boat with Rob Zombie and Notorious BIG blaring from my boat. However at 36 I figure I only have about 15 years of being a nut left, so here we go icon_razz

Serious side: I volunteer for amputees and sailing, I promote Sailing all the time, and love the sport. icon_cool

Will

Edited by 27fountain on Mar 20, 2013 - 09:27 PM.

--
Will
Indian Shores, FL
Newbie but catching on fast.
NACRA 17
--
Hi I'm new here and new to cats too. This will be my first full season with my Hobie 18. Last year I sailed weekly on anything I could borrow. I plan to be out at least that much this year.

Being new, I don't plan on traveling to regattas. I'm still working on learning the boat. I hope to make it to Catfest in Lake Norman NC to race this fall.

I am a member of a local sailing club. They helped me get on the water and I found a boat through another member. The club helps folks like me learn to sail monohulls and cats. I'm thinking that seeing the Hobie 18 might get some of those cats out of the marina and back on the water.

--
Andy
'86 Hobie 18
High Point, North Carolina
--
Quote However at 36 I figure I only have about 15 years of being a nut left, so here we go

there is not time limit
DamonLinkous
newsailgalAs much as I possibly can!! Unfortunately, I am just crew-in-training and not a boat owner, so that limits my ability to sail. I hope to attend some regattas both close and far, and if I can get good/confident enough, be able to buy and sail my own boat one of these days.... icon_smile

If you can arrange to be at regattas and talk to folks the day before racing you can usually end up crewing. Great way to get started and sail lots of different beachcats.

What part of the country are you in?

Hey Damon! Thanks for the words of encouragement. Unfortunately I am in central IN, so I sail with a friend who has cats on a couple lake/reservoirs nearby mostly. Last year we got out three times here and one trip to the gulf. I hope to increase that this year, and develop my skills/knowledge. I need lots more time on water before I would feel comfortable offering to crew for others. But I have requested off from work for the Juana's Regatta and am trying to talk my friend into going.... icon_smile

Jen

--
Jennifer
Columbus, IN
--
most the skippers i have ever met who do Regattas love to talk about sailing and many even like to take newbies out sailing

One of our local yacht clubs had wed or thurs evening races and all you had to do was show up and you could get on a boat for the races (more so on mono's where there is more room).

If you really have the sailing bug, i would encourage you to seek local sailing clubs (there are more around than you think) and offer to work events... if you are personable ... you will get offers to crew. It's a great way to get knowledge and time on the water before you $pend on your own boat

Quote I need lots more time on water before I would feel comfortable offering to crew for others. But I have requested off from work for the Juana's Regatta and am trying to talk my friend into going....
Hope to sail more this year then last year. But likely only a few times a month, have 3 kids under 3 with twin 1 year olds so the house his hopping on weekends. Have mast up storage so planning some weekday evening escapes if the weather cooperates.

Local sailing only for me unless I visit family who also has cats, but then just recreational sailing then also.

Trying to convince a friend he needs a cat for his family lake house.

--
Scott,
‘92 H18 w/SX wings
‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
--
2x a week unless there is no wind. More if I get off work early. I'd like to make it to at least one regatta

--
Ed Lavin
Time on the water doesn't count on the clock of life
--
More, I hope, the plan is pretty much every weekend from mid May through late September if I can.
No to the travel, did that for years and got tired of it.
Do not know of anyone just starting but would help anyone interested.
Give rides to anyone who asks, sure way to get them excited about it.

Cheers Ricardo.

--
Lake Perry KS
H-18
N-5.5 UNI +spin
--
DamonLinkousHow Much Will You Sail This Year?
  • More than last year? Less?
  • Will you travel to out of town regattas? How far?
  • Locally, do you know of new beachcat sailors getting started?
  • What will you do to promote beachcat sailing?

More? God I hope so. I'd like the boat to stay afloat for at least one summer before I die

My daughter and I went to a regatta last year in Austin and she had a blast---I hope to do at least that one again this year!

My neighbor has a 19/20 yr-old son that keeps checking out my boat...I think I'm gonna get him hooked

--
Repairable P18
--