Dent in mast, safety or performance issue?

I noticed a Dent in the mast a couple days ago while replacing the sheaves in the mast head. It's about 8" wide and about 1/2" depressed on the right had side, 2" in from the main leech track, and about 18" below the mast head. I'm not 100% sure how it happened, but my guess is a car tire while it was on the ground last year next to the shop. It was pretty out of the way and would have required some off roading, but it's the only thing that makes sense.

My question is, does anyone think this will make the mast unsafe? It's a good 2'+ above the standing rigging attachment. Will the force from the main and halyard be an issue? I may try and take off the the mast head to see if I can work it out from the inside, but I'm not sure, aside from aesthetics, if it would help.

Any suggestions?

I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow.

Edited by solsailer18 on Mar 17, 2013 - 05:06 PM.

--
Jeremy Hales
1974 SOLCAT 18
Salem, OR
--
Sail it.

--
Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
--
my first boat had a huge dent in the mast... The mast eventually broke because of a minor accident icon_lol but not at the location of the dent. And considering where your dent is, I think you would be pretty safe to sail it.

--
Proud owner of a Mystère 6.0
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
--
A 1974 Solcat, SAIL IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT.

--
Ron
Nacra F18
Reservoir Sailing Assn.
Brandon, Mississippi
--
bachoSail it.

^^

--
Rob
OKC
Pile of Nacra parts..
--
my son sailed his h16 for about 8 years with a slight bend. no problems.... go for it.....

--
Mike Conway
H16
Hilton, NY
--
The dent if I understand correctly runs along the mast, not across that's not a problem at all in my book. In addition SolCat mast were made from ticker aluminum extrussions than Hobbies and Nacras. It is heavy duty mast and there is noting to worry about. Sail it.

--
Adam Bartos
Nacra 5.0
SolCat 18 (sold)
Lake Zurich, IL
--
Thanks for the replies! Makes me feel a lot better with all the "go for it" responses. It'll get it's first dip since restoration this April. Fingers crossed that a dent in the mast is my only issue.

--
Jeremy Hales
1974 SOLCAT 18
Salem, OR
--