2012 Juana Good Time Regatta

This is a great regatta in Navarre Beach Florida!
http://www.juanaspagodas.com/RegattaNews.htm

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
1978,1978,1979,1982,1986 Hobie 16's
--
We'll be there, but then again we live 1 mile away and are usually there on the weekends...

--
16' Prindle
Emerald Coast of Florida
--
We're in. See you there.

--
Ron
Nacra F18
Reservoir Sailing Assn.
Brandon, Mississippi
--
I plan to attend.

--
Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
--
I'm in, love that place. Looking forward to breezes that aren't attached to a heat advisory!

Nothing like true temp over 100 with 70% humidity, that's Memphis hot.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
Some day I'll make the trek to one of these though I might have arrange to borrow a boat I really don't wanna tow that far.

--
Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
Member: Utah Sailing Association
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
--
QuarathSome day I'll make the trek to one of these though I might have arrange to borrow a boat I really don't wanna tow that far.

They have Hobie Getaway races specifically for those travelling in with out a boat. I believe these boats are part of Juana's rental fleet.

--
Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
2011 Hobie 16SE
Atlanta, GA
--
I just made hotel reservations and definitely plan on being there. I tried to make this race last year, but had too many conflicts. This is a great place to sail and I've heard nothing but good things about the event and the event organizers. Looking forward to meeting other beachcatters.

--
2011 Hobie 16SE
Atlanta, GA
--
Motivated, I've been admiring your boat for awhile.... I have spinnaker envy! Look forward to meeting you. From what I heard last year, they had a ball with those getaways. I think there were 25 Hobie 16s last year.

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
teperacingMotivated, I've been admiring your boat for awhile.... I have spinnaker envy! Look forward to meeting you. From what I heard last year, they had a ball with those getaways. I think there were 25 Hobie 16s last year.

The spinnaker is fun, almost scary fun. It's a handful for me, since I'm primarily sailing solo. Unfortunately they don't let me use it in the races so it's dead weight. I'm also looking forward to meeting other TBC'rs and will be at the mixer Friday evening. This is only my second regatta and I'm really looking forward to the competition.

--
2011 Hobie 16SE
Atlanta, GA
--
I'm in for sure!! I can bring my H16 or do they rent cats there for that weekend?
Looks like a great time!
Tim

--
Tim Grover
1996 Hobie Miracle 20
Two Hobie 14's
1983 G-Cat Restored
Memphis TN / North Mississippi
--
fxloopI'm in for sure!! I can bring my H16 or do they rent cats there for that weekend?
Looks like a great time!
Tim

Bring your H16, lots of great friendly Hobie sailors at Juanas, if you pay attention you'll learn more in one weekend than years sailing by yourself.

Inspect your boat and trailer very carefully before the trip. Especially trailer wheel bearings and tires, an extra spare isn't a bad idea.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
From what I could tell it looked like they are waves not Getaways though they may have both I've never been there. I could sail a Getaway probably but I'd probably turn a wave into a slightly floating brick.

--
Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
Member: Utah Sailing Association
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
--
QuarathFrom what I could tell it looked like they are waves not Getaways though they may have both I've never been there. I could sail a Getaway probably but I'd probably turn a wave into a slightly floating brick.

Yes, it's a Wave race, but there were folks of all sizes having a blast. They do those races off the beach, basically out to a mark and back to the beach for the next racer. It's not like the Waves are mixing it up with the general fleet.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Dustin is correct. Juana has Waves not Getaways, and I expect quantity is limited so preregistration would be advised. The Waves also do much shorter courses for obvious reasons. If anyone doesn't want to do a long trail or the Wave, I'd recommend that you contact Captain Kirk at Key Sailing about a Hobie 16 charter.

See you folks that Friday! Will we be gathering in the shadow of Damon again? I'll buy the first round for all TheBeachcats except the Tepes....they're multiplying like rabbits and I'm not a wealthy man!

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
On the Juana's Pagodas website they have a cool video slideshow of the place over the years through several hurricanes and new constructions.

http://juanaspagodas.com/2012EventPhotos.htm#years

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Jerome, TepeRacing loves this regatta and the people so much, it's what we look forward to all year long! There's talk of the brothers chartering a 44' lagoon in the b.v.i, s this January for 10 days.... We are all probably more excited about this race! Mainly because this could be the year that one of us in the TepeRacing fleet finally beats you and your lovely wife! I'm headed down on the 11th for some summer training and strategic planning.

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
teperacingJerome, TepeRacing loves this regatta and the people so much, it's what we look forward to all year long!

TepeRacing, this is the brothers from Ohio? Good to see you here, welcome to TheBeachcats.com, don't be a stranger(s). You guys always add to the fun of a fun event.

Make yourself one of those fancy signature things and an avatar, may I suggest this one for you?

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/413267_447032055319605_374267109_o.jpg

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
teperacingJerome, TepeRacing loves this regatta and the people so much, it's what we look forward to all year long! There's talk of the brothers chartering a 44' lagoon in the b.v.i, s this January for 10 days.... We are all probably more excited about this race! Mainly because this could be the year that one of us in the TepeRacing fleet finally beats you and your lovely wife! I'm headed down on the 11th for some summer training and strategic planning.

Here's a tip for your BVI trip....use an alias in case the charter company Googles "Tepe" while considering your sailing resumes. When they find all those videos and pictures of your capsizes, they're sure to turn you down! Granted Team Tepe has some lofty numbers, but there still ain't enough of you skinny fellas to right a Lagoon 44! icon_lol

See ya' soon, my friend, and (win, lose, or draw) it will be a Good Time indeed!

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
It is never to early to start thinking about the Juana's Good Time Regatta! icon_cool
juanasIt is never to early to start thinking about the Juana's Good Time Regatta! icon_cool

I think you are right Mandy, I daydream about it all year round!

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Hey, Tepe....Here's a quote from Tikipete (Blade sailor from farther down in FL) over on the Catsailor forums after attending Juana's Good Time Regatta a while back....

"And btw, the H-16 crowd are still the party champions of the Universe!"

He obviously had the pleasure of meeting you Cincy boys! Gotta love it!!!!

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
The races are Saturday and Sunday. I'm staying about 40 minutes away over in Destin. Just curious...will we be able to keep the boat (mast up) on the beach overnight at Juana's?

--
2011 Hobie 16SE
Atlanta, GA
--
I'll be down fri- tues with my Hobie 16. Anyone want to go in on a beach house/condo for the weekend thats close? Can't wait to sail with Damon and the other beachcats! Getting my boat and trailer ready for the long drive down ( 7hrs or so ) going to make a vacation out of the event! Good times for sure =0)
Tim

--
Tim Grover
1996 Hobie Miracle 20
Two Hobie 14's
1983 G-Cat Restored
--
motivatedThe races are Saturday and Sunday. I'm staying about 40 minutes away over in Destin. Just curious...will we be able to keep the boat (mast up) on the beach overnight at Juana's?

Yes

--
Ron
Nacra F18
Reservoir Sailing Assn.
Brandon, Mississippi
--
Damon, Thanks for the pic suggestion, thought the team logo was a better option....http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab306/cincykeoke/b53d7b4f.jpg?t=1343947803
Jerome, thanks for the advice on the B.V.I. trip! We had no problem chartering the lagoon using your name and credit card!
Motivated, if things get out of hand, you can crash at the Tepe Compound rather than driving back to Destin, lots of people sleep on their boats.
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab306/cincykeoke/3fc48139.jpg?t=1343947971

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
I was under the impression there was camping there?

--
Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
--
Some folks, have campers/rv's in the parking lot next door, and also sleep on their boats.

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
teperacingSome folks, have campers/rv's in the parking lot next door, and also sleep on their boats.

Camping and overnight not allowed in the lot next to Juana's. Sheriff will ticket you and make you move. They've started ticketing cars without trailers that park in the trailer spaces this year (This makes the boaters VERY happy!).

--
16' Prindle
Emerald Coast of Florida
--
So where do you keep your trailer? Is it possible they make exceptions for the regatta? I know a lot of people did it in years past... We were going to bring our boats down in a 24' enclosed.... Not sure what to do now? Maybe Mandy could chime in on that?

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
I don't know about "unattended" trailers. I know 2 weeks ago, there was a 2 wrecker taking trailers that were left there at 11pm.
Juana's might have an "in" for the regatta, but that is also a holiday weekend and the place fills up. I bet if you parked in the way back part of the lot they might be more foregiving...

--
16' Prindle
Emerald Coast of Florida
--
panic_buttonbut that is also a holiday weekend and the place fills up. I bet if you parked in the way back part of the lot they might be more foregiving...

The race is the weekend after Labor Day weekend, It's not a holiday weekend.

--
Ron
Nacra F18
Reservoir Sailing Assn.
Brandon, Mississippi
--
I guess I should looked at a calander... Now I have an excuse for another 3 day weekend.

--
16' Prindle
Emerald Coast of Florida
--
nacra55The race is the weekend after Labor Day weekend, It's not a holiday weekend.

While not an official US holiday, my calendar says that Sunday, September 9th is Grandparents' Day, so I have a proposition for you Beachcats who are also grandparents. Ditch your grandkids to attend this regatta, and I'll buy you a Corona at the Skippers' Meeting on Sunday morning. Corona goes really good with those pecan sticky bun pastry things that they serve for breakfast!

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
Update... Seems there is no issue with parking in lot overnight, Juannas new addition is really nice and the wind has been wonderful. The beer is cold and I think with the week of sailing, I may be able to finally beat Jerome!

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
teperacing I may be able to finally beat Jerome!

I've never before met anyone who could type in their sleep, Tepe. I mean...you are obviously DREAMING! icon_rolleyes

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
teperacingI may be able to finally beat Jerome!

Gauntlet... thrown! icon_evil

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Lol! I fell asleep at 9pm last night after an epic day of sailing.... I was up at 4:30 am, charting currents in the bay, looking at 50 years of past wind history and figuring out where the hell that damn marker is! ( last year we went past it by a mile and still had a respectable finish!) I'm leaving nothing to chance this year! I am willing to bet a beer that Tepe Racing will bring down the sailing duo of Jerome and his lovely bride! icon_biggrin

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
teperacing.....and figuring out where the hell that damn marker is!

Okay now that's just going too far! It would be totally unfair for anyone to actually know where the turning mark is. Pretty sure that's against the rules for distance racing. May have to protest....

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
fxloopI'll be down fri- tues with my Hobie 16. Anyone want to go in on a beach house/condo for the weekend thats close? Can't wait to sail with Damon and the other beachcats! Getting my boat and trailer ready for the long drive down ( 7hrs or so ) going to make a vacation out of the event! Good times for sure =0)
Tim

Make sure to check out the accommodations sponsors on our site. They are offering discounts. Gulf Properties and Dale E. Peterson are the condo rental companies.
bachoI was under the impression there was camping there?

There are a couple of RV/camping places across the bridge on the mainland. I can get you information if you need it. No camping on the beach though.

teperacingSo where do you keep your trailer? Is it possible they make exceptions for the regatta? I know a lot of people did it in years past... We were going to bring our boats down in a 24' enclosed.... Not sure what to do now? Maybe Mandy could chime in on that?

Your trailers are fine in the boat parking area for the weekend. They are strict about non-trailer this time of year because it is peak season. Regatta is during non-peak season, so they don't really care. I will make sure to talk with county officials and sheriffs prior to Regatta to remind them.
teperacingUpdate... Seems there is no issue with parking in lot overnight, Juannas new addition is really nice and the wind has been wonderful. The beer is cold and I think with the week of sailing, I may be able to finally beat Jerome!

I thought those were your Tequlia Sunrise H-16 on the beach. I hope you have been able to christen the new building properly icon_wink
I am really getting excited about the event. We're staying over in Destin (closest Marriott) and will be at Juana's Friday night seeking out those cold Corona's! My crew and I are heading to Amelia Island this weekend to get in some practice. I just purchased a brand new spinnaker, made of a new military fabric that is completely invisible. I know they're illegal, but that's only if you get caught (j/k)! Looking forward to picking up lots of knowledge from the seasoned sailors here on TBC.

--
2011 Hobie 16SE
Atlanta, GA
--
I will gladly teach you everything I know about sailing... Should take about 30 seconds. icon_biggrin

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
After a great week of sailing in Navarre, we lost both boats in a traffic accident on our way home icon_confused ... We are going like crazy to put two more boats together for regatta. My son and I loved our orange Hobies and they will be missed... Good news, no one was hurt!

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
Say it ain't so Glenn. I had a similar incident years ago which bummed me out, but came out better in the long run. I'm sure you will rise to the occasion. See ya there my brother in "Tucker" icon_wink

Out of the ashes rises the Phoenix!

Edited by mummp on Aug 19, 2012 - 09:02 AM.

--
Philip
--
teperacingAfter a great week of sailing in Navarre, we lost both boats in a traffic accident on our way home icon_confused ... We are going like crazy to put two more boats together for regatta. My son and I loved our orange Hobies and they will be missed... Good news, no one was hurt!

That's awful, but I'm very glad that no one was hurt, Glenn. If you guys aren't able to get all the boats together that you need, let me know (jv1234_99 at yahoo dot com). I'll do what I can to get you something to use for the weekend. Take care friend!

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
That's Craptastic Glenn! Were you double stacked? Why were you on the road, I thought you were staying through Juana Good Times?

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Damon, Jerome, Mummp, We were just down there for a week with the family... Had a great time! Left Friday morning, and wammo! Trailer was bent axel was bent boats were double stacked and all four hulls were beyond repair. Managed to get them stacked and beat the trailer into some shape, tires were wearing out every 150 miles, we would stop at walmart(open 24 hours) and buy all the trailer tires they had! We called in the calvary and the brothers started heading south with a trailer.It took us 24 hours and 3 sets of tires and 2 trailers to get home! We got home at 8:30 am Saturday morning, slept for 4 hours and got up and found a boat for my son about a hundred miles away from us, we have that one stripped down and are doing work to the hulls, it is 12 am Sunday and Glenn and I just returned from Michigan where we bought another boat for me. The boat I bought has epo rudders that need some work but on drive home I read how Jerome repaired his and will be following his repair methods to a tee! Thanks Jerome, and thank you for the offer! We have lots of work to do but we will be there for sure! Nothing could keep us from making this regatta! Mummp! Good to here from you, thanks for the kind words!look forward to seeing you all! Glenn

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
teperacingAfter a great week of sailing in Navarre, we lost both boats in a traffic accident on our way home icon_confused ... We are going like crazy to put two more boats together for regatta. My son and I loved our orange Hobies and they will be missed... Good news, no one was hurt!

So sorry to hear about the tragic end to your boats. If there's an award for "Overcoming the Greatest Obstacles", you guys deserve to win it. Hopefully you can get the new boats rigged and ready. Looking forward to buying you guys a Corona (or three).

Best of luck....

--
2011 Hobie 16SE
Atlanta, GA
--
teperacing We have lots of work to do but we will be there for sure! Nothing could keep us from making this regatta!

motivated Looking forward to buying you guys a Corona (or three).

Careful there, Karl....there are like 20 or 30 of those skinny Tepes, and they're still multiplying! In order to help keep you from going bankrupt at your first Juana's regatta, I'll take care of one round!

Cincy.....you guys rock! Great news on the new to you boats. Let me know if you're missing any pieces/parts, and I'll see what we can do to help!

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
After a crappy 4 days in Daytona Beach, we packed up and headed home via the Panhandle, decided to spend a few days in Pensacola, sailors dream, ocean 1 side, sheltered waterway the other side. Checked out both Key Sailing and Juana's, awesome spots to sail from, not bad for surfing either, as a waterman I could indulge in both my favourite past-times. Scrambling to put new used P16 together to attend Juana's, even if just to see how the P16 stacks up against the H16........ icon_wink

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--
20 or 30?.... Lol. Put my first coat of resin stuff on epos! They are looking good! Fixing hull uglies and need to polish them. Question, can you replace the wire in the jib?

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
I'll be down there Friday through Wednesday with my Hobie... Staying in condo in Destin. Any of you guys sailing around there mon/tues/wed ? I'd love to meet up to do some afternoon sailing and find some cool launch sites early in the week.... Beer and lunch on me!!
Tim

--
Tim Grover
1996 Hobie Miracle 20
Two Hobie 14's
1983 G-Cat Restored
--
teperacing20 or 30?.... Lol. Put my first coat of resin stuff on epos! They are looking good! Fixing hull uglies and need to polish them. Question, can you replace the wire in the jib?

Okay...it's Juana's....maybe I was seeing double (or triple or quadruple) sometimes. Only case I've heard of replacing jib luff wire was done by a sailmaker. I have a decent set of 90s sails (#100xxx) that I'll bring if you need them. Bad thing is they're white.....a far cry from Keoke (which is so fugly it's cool)!

Edited by rattlenhum on Aug 24, 2012 - 12:08 PM.

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
I have my keoke sails, they were not damaged. Boat came with a newer set, thought I might try them, the wire is stretched.

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
fxloopI'll be down there Friday through Wednesday with my Hobie... Staying in condo in Destin. Any of you guys sailing around there mon/tues/wed ? I'd love to meet up to do some afternoon sailing and find some cool launch sites early in the week.... Beer and lunch on me!!
Tim

I could take a couple of days off to sail, that is if you don't mind that I'm a rookie... There are some good spots on the East Bay too.

--
16' Prindle
Emerald Coast of Florida
--
fxloopI'll be down there Friday through Wednesday with my Hobie... Staying in condo in Destin. Any of you guys sailing around there mon/tues/wed ? I'd love to meet up to do some afternoon sailing and find some cool launch sites early in the week.... Beer and lunch on me!!
Tim

If all goes well I'm planning on staying over a couple of days. Planning on arriving the Wednesday or Thursday before the regatta. We'll have a Memphis fleet.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Wondering if Isaac is going to be an issue? If things go right we will all be down on Thursday as well.... Damon, maybe we can help you rig your 18 again this year. My son and I are working every night trying to get our new to us boats ready for the regatta... Shakedown cruise will be on Thursday.... Fingers crossed!

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
Depending on the time and station, it looks like Issac is going to hit between Ft Walton to Pensacola. Lowes sold 500 generators in 2 days! Gas stations in Ft Walton out of gas, people are starting to board up the windows here. HURRICANE PARTY TIME! banana banana banana

--
16' Prindle
Emerald Coast of Florida
--
Hoping for the best, everyone on the coast get ready, never know what these things will do.

http://www.wunderground.c…l/at201209.windprob.html

http://icons-ak.wunderground.com/data/images/at201209_sat.jpghttp://icons-ak.wunderground.com/data/images/at201209_5day.gif

http://icons-ak.wunderground.com/data/images/at201209_ensmodel.gifhttp://icons-ak.wunderground.com/data/images/at201209_climo.gif

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Navarre is between, Pensacola an fort Walton. icon_rolleyes

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
Right now Issac is suppose to hit us around Tues or Wednesday. They now have the eye hitting near Mobile. Should know more tomorrow, but we are getting prepared. I will keep you posted as Issac heads our way.

For those of you planning on getting here Wed. or Thurs of this week, I will be boarded up in my house with lots of beer! You are welcome to join my hurricane party, if you make it into town icon_smile

-Mandy

Edited by juanas on Aug 26, 2012 - 07:42 AM.
juanasRight now Issac is suppose to hit us around Tues or Wednesday. They now have the eye hitting near Mobile. Should know more tomorrow, but we are getting prepared. I will keep you posted as Issac heads our way.

For those of you planning on getting here Wed. or Thurs of this week, I will be boarded up in my house with lots of beer! You are welcome to join my hurricane party, if you make it into town icon_smile

-Mandy

Be safe Mandy, I'm always afraid that the locals take these things lightly if they aren't "the big one" but those cat 1 & 2's are serious too!

Just wondering about the new buildings at Juanas that have been built since the last round of hurricanes with Erin, Opal, Ivan, and Dennis. What wind standards were used? I know water usually does the most damage, but any new high-rise buildings have to be designed for 200 mph winds, what about Tiki Huts? icon_cool

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
DamonLinkous
juanasRight now Issac is suppose to hit us around Tues or Wednesday. They now have the eye hitting near Mobile. Should know more tomorrow, but we are getting prepared. I will keep you posted as Issac heads our way.

-Mandy

Be safe Mandy, I'm always afraid that the locals take these things lightly if they aren't "the big one" but those cat 1 & 2's are serious too!

Just wondering about the new buildings at Juanas that have been built since the last round of hurricanes with Erin, Opal, Ivan, and Dennis. What wind standards were used? I know water usually does th most damage, but any new high-rise buildings have to be designed for 200 mph winds, what about Tiki Huts? icon_cool

This is actually my first hurricane.. I am north of 98 and not on the beach but I have my ambulance packed up and ready to go if it comes to that. As for Juanas the tiki hut has been reconstructed after Ivan to stay put.... Welll the roof maybe not the thatching. New building to. I would have to talk to the boss to get the specifics

Edited by juanas on Aug 26, 2012 - 01:36 PM.
Navarre Beach Campground has waterfront cabins for $184 daily, on the beach, sleeps 8, private beach on Santa Rosa Sound, just a quick sail up to Juanas, anyone interested?

Or you can throw up a tent for just $49 daily

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--
http://www.navbeach.com/Default.aspx

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--
Juana's is fighting the impression that their bridge is closed (It's not) or that they aren't open (they are)

Quote from Juana's Pagodas Facebook icon_biggrin

QuoteContrary to most of the gossip I'm hearing, they are not closing the Navarre Beach bridge tonight (if at all). We here at Juana's have decided instead to issue a mandatory evacuation of the mainland, so come on out to the beach where it's safe and join us for some beers and storm watching tonight in the Club. We will keep you posted on our status over the next few days, but we are hopeful at this point that we will be open as usual all week.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Looking to share lodging with someone down in Pensacola for Juanas, contact me at :-
(five 7 three) six 7 three- 5 one 9 six

Turbo

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--
teperacing... Shakedown cruise will be on Thursday.... Fingers crossed!

Tepe: You have just about week to get your ass and that boat down to Juana's. How'd the shakedown go???

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
Sunny & 90's for the next week!

--
16' Prindle
Emerald Coast of Florida
--
Jerome, boats are still in pieces... Shakedown cruise will be next Thursday in Navarre, we come home every night and do a little more to get them as good as we can. We are going to leave Wednesday night, bringing four 16s with us. My brother Marks two sons are coming with us this year for the first time, should be fun! Question, my old boat was a 78' I had the newer low profile ronstan jib cars on it in the trac. The boat I bought is a 86, it has the swivel cleat closer to the mast and then the four hole thing in the trac.... Is that a better set up than what I had?

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
teperacingQuestion, my old boat was a 78' I had the newer low profile ronstan jib cars on it in the trac. The boat I bought is a 86, it has the swivel cleat closer to the mast and then the four hole thing in the trac.... Is that a better set up than what I had?

I may not understand exactly what you've got correctly, but...

I never used the 4-hole "plastic knuckle" Trentec car so can't really give an honest comparison. Some folks swear by them. However, I really dig the Ronstan low profile cars.....they work so sweet and the jib sheet pulls more directly on the clew. I would think it has to be better to have the traveller, rather than the sheet, doing all that winding around. You could replace the Trentec cars with the low pros for your sheets, then use the swivel cams on the beam for yor traveller lines.

If that's too confusing, just ignore it. Probably best to try out both anyway.

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
I think he's referring to this setup:-

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=10634&g2_serialNumber=9

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--
I'm off on Thursday and out at Juana's, if you want to tip a few cold ones after the sea trials...

--
16' Prindle
Emerald Coast of Florida
--
That pic shows what is on the 86 boat, it does have the trentec cars... Maybe I'll just stick to what I know. Panic... That sounds real good! Will probably be tipping some during sea trials, that's Tepe Racings Style! icon_biggrin

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
Midnight and we still have yet to put my sons boat together... Gel coat is still drying! We leave wednesday at 8 pm.

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
You are not missing anything down here right now... 2 days of rain! I knew I should have gone out on Sunday.

--
16' Prindle
Emerald Coast of Florida
--
Whats funny is..... I just did some mild Hull flying up here in Sardis MS... 10mph consistent and some short 15-20 bursts by the Dam Site yesterday, This sat looks like 12-16mph winds, 10%precip and sunday 13mph all day with no rain all weekend. I'd still rather be down in FL with you guys having a blast!!!! Sunday looks like the best winds there per wunderground.com.... 13-16 MPH, no rain! ( The cold beer will make it seem faster though ). I've never trapped while hull flying away... would love a crew trial!!

Tim

--
Tim Grover
1996 Hobie Miracle 20
Two Hobie 14's
1983 G-Cat Restored
--
Keep an eye out for Invest 90L. icon_eek

--
16' Prindle
Emerald Coast of Florida
--
No worries, were bringing nice weather with us... were 3 hours out.

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
I'm here now, getting some work in so I can play the rest of the day. Beautiful right now, clouds to the North over the mainland but nice on the Island/coast.

I'll be setting up in the trailer parking lot after lunch at 1:30pm Thursday if anyone is around, I'll need mast stepping and "drag the beast 50 yards to the beach" assistance.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
fxloopWhats funny is..... I just did some mild Hull flying up here in Sardis MS... 10mph consistent and some short 15-20 bursts by the Dam Site yesterday, This sat looks like 12-16mph winds, 10%precip and sunday 13mph all day with no rain all weekend. I'd still rather be down in FL with you guys having a blast!!!! Sunday looks like the best winds there per wunderground.com.... 13-16 MPH, no rain! ( The cold beer will make it seem faster though ). I've never trapped while hull flying away... would love a crew trial!!

Tim

You coming down?

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
I should be there by 4:00 or so tomorrow afternoon. FYI....per Kevin Rejda (scheduled PRO for Juana's?) over on the Catsailor Open Forum....

Not too much trouble from Isaac, just a couple of blustery days. Key Sailing had about an inch or two of water in the shop, enough to make it stink is what Boog said. If any of you coming from the west planned on crossing over to the island at Pensacola Beach for the drive down the beach road, don't. Isaac tore the road up, closed at least for the near future.

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--
I'm registered - heading up in the morning with my H16 icon_smile
Tim

--
Tim Grover
1996 Hobie Miracle 20
Two Hobie 14's
1983 G-Cat Restored
--
Does not look like I'm going to make it....... heul

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--
OK, who was that dude who led wire to wire and was first back to the beach?

oh wait, that was.me. icon_razz

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
This was our 1st regatta, and the 3rd time sailing our cat. When starting the distance race, was the requirement to go to the south of the boat with the flags?

--
16' Prindle
Emerald Coast of Florida
--
panic, stop your killing me. are you still at juanas? what's your name what boat is yours?

I'm sitting in the juanas club in the a/c watching football.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Everybody recovered from the Juana Weekend?

Stories? Pictures? Videos?

Lets see em.

I'm still here licking my wounds from getting my butt kicked on Sunday.

I'll have more stories later for now I'll just mention that I pitch-poled before the first race and then went over again at the first A mark. That was enough for me to get the message that it wasn't my day.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Results are posted on Juana's Regatta Page. http://www.juanaspagodas.com/regattanews.htm. Working on getting pictures posted. Should have some up by the end of the day icon_smile
DamonLinkousOK, who was that dude who led wire to wire and was first back to the beach?

Gee Damon..Did that statement jinx you for Sunday? Humm, I wonder? icon_eek
I'm still here, weather forecast great for tomorrow, who's up for some sailing?!??!
10am, 11? ( gonna throw down tonight a litte lol )
Tim

--
Tim Grover
1996 Hobie Miracle 20
Two Hobie 14's
1983 G-Cat Restored
--
fxloopI'm still here, weather forecast great for tomorrow, who's up for some sailing?!??!
10am, 11? ( gonna throw down tonight a litte lol )
Tim

We should be out there tomorrow around that time. We have the Blue Prindle 16.

Chris

--
16' Prindle
Emerald Coast of Florida
--
DamonLinkouspanic, stop your killing me. are you still at juanas? what's your name what boat is yours?

I'm sitting in the juanas club in the a/c watching football.

I guess it would have helped to read the rules and not just look at the diagrams... We had the blue Prindle that was dead last (DNS)...

--
16' Prindle
Emerald Coast of Florida
--
I'll come over, boats still on the beach. I didn't go near it today, I felt like I was beat with a bag of hammers after Sundays capsizes.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
terryhagle
DamonLinkousOK, who was that dude who led wire to wire and was first back to the beach?

Gee Damon..Did that statement jinx you for Sunday? Humm, I wonder? icon_eek

I think absolutely! I seriously hadn't capsized for about ten years, despite sailing solo in all types of weather, inshore and offshore. Then to do it twice in 20 minutes on a not particularly high-wind day....

Anyway, Terry, thanks again for helping me right the first time and offering the second time. Your little daughter was a real hero single handing the boat while you came over. Hope she liked getting the trophy and flowers!

One other thing though. I could honestly say that I was first back to the beach both days.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Congratulation to Damon for winning the Carlton Tucker Trophy!
There is not a more honorable perpetual award to receive than this one, nor one that is more cherish-able.
This one was long overdue.
WTG DAMON!

--
Philip
--
Pictures from Saturday take by the Navarre Press http://www.shutterfly.com…aid=768a5498cf3bba5e306e
I am still in recovery mode! Great time.... Wonderful hosts! And there is no one more deserving than Damon! Congratulations, what an honor!

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
DamonLinkous

How's that arm? Purple and green yet?

--
Ron
Nacra F18
Reservoir Sailing Assn.
Brandon, Mississippi
--
nacra55
DamonLinkous

How's that arm? Purple and green yet?

It's getting there, still hurts to straighten out and is swollen.

Paul Price gave me a CD of pics from the weekend, I've just now uploaded them to the Juanas Album at
http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=89691

There are even several pictures of the big winged Hobie 18 on it's side by A Mark, with some kind of whale like object trying to board.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Yes, but look at those shiny hulls!!

--
David
Memphis, TN
'84 Hobie 18
--
So Damon, panic_button, fxloop, would you recommend this regatta to people who would have to drive a thousand miles?

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
I would - providing you'd be staying at least a week!
I drove 8 hours each way and it was easy, although definately stay longer...
I sailed almost daily for the most part an the waters and wind was great the whole time!
Condo rentals are pretty low cost too, especially if you rent a 2 story with several bedrooms - very affordable
Tim

--
Tim Grover
1996 Hobie Miracle 20
Two Hobie 14's
1983 G-Cat Restored
--
klozhaldSo Damon, panic_button, fxloop, would you recommend this regatta to people who would have to drive a thousand miles?
We work with hotels and condo companies to offer racers a discounted rate to make staying in the area as cost effective as possible. We had 2 hotels and 2 condo companies that offer discounts to participants to stay for more than just the weekend.
klozhaldSo Damon, panic_button, fxloop, would you recommend this regatta to people who would have to drive a thousand miles?

Absolutely, if you are going to drive that far you want a place that is great to hang out besides just the regatta. The white sand beaches are some of the prettiest in the world, the area is very lightly developed, but you can head to Pensacola Beach to party or shop depending on what your group is looking for.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--

I think I'm still hung over for what that's worth.

--
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
--

We drive 12 hours from Cincinnati every year, it's worth it! I wouldn't miss it for anything. The sailing is great! But the people are the best. If you did attend you would win the farthest towed award. And all of Tepe Racing is still recovering.

--
Tepe Racing
Glenn Tepe
Cincinnati, Ohio
--
Well worth it! Stay a week and sail the sound with nobody on it.

--
16' Prindle
Emerald Coast of Florida
--
Seventeen hundred miles from my house. (No map on Juana's site?)
Good news is that Interstate Ten is about six miles from me, and once I'm on it will take me straight to Navarre Beach.
I could probably sleep along the way.
A 28 hour drive.
I could talk the family into this if we detour to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels.
This will take some work... icon_cool

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
Might consider just flying in then renting a boat for a week. With enough notice, I'm sure you could just about work out any kind of catamaran... Or make a road trip out of it and meet up with other sailors that are going and sail in their local lakes ect along the way to Navarre beach :)
Tim

--
Tim Grover
1996 Hobie Miracle 20
Two Hobie 14's
1983 G-Cat Restored
--
klozhaldSeventeen hundred miles from my house. (No map on Juana's site?)
Good news is that Interstate Ten is about six miles from me, and once I'm on it will take me straight to Navarre Beach.
I could probably sleep along the way.
A 28 hour drive.
I could talk the family into this if we detour to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels.
This will take some work... icon_cool

I travel to Lake Havasu each spring for Desert Storm. Pulling a 35' Cigarette it takes me about ~25 hours @1900 miles, it should take you less than that...

Edited by panic_button on Sep 23, 2012 - 03:19 PM.

--
16' Prindle
Emerald Coast of Florida
--