Delam repair: more unseen damage on the inside?

I started doing a delam repair on my P16 decks and found a couple areas where my drill bit was going right through the inner layer of glass. It's not because I wasn't stopping the drill in time, because as soon as I went through the outer fiberglass there was nothing inside. It's as though the inner layer was cracked or split. The deck doesn't appear to have been repaired before but maybe it has. Has anyone run into this before? Is this a sign of more serious internal deterioration? The odd thing is that last summer the decks were solid except for one small soft spot and this spring, the whole front deck is delaminated an there are a couple other spots on the other hull. Perhaps from freezing during winter?

--
Jason Kasper
2000 Mystère 5.0XL
Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
--
With older boats, once it starts it is very hard to stop. it just seems to keep on growing. It is very hard to inspect what you can not see.
does your 77 Prindle have inspection ports, if so try, with a mirror and flashlight or a camera maybe, to look inside.

--
Stefan, Denmark.
H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
Team StaySail
http://www.staysail.eu
--
no ports...only my imagination...and what I'm imagining isn't pretty!

--
Jason Kasper
2000 Mystère 5.0XL
--
OK, I just injected two quarts of fiberglass resin into a couple hundred holes in our cat. The soft spots on both rear decks and an area under the tramp on the port hull turned out great. However, I'm pretty disappointed with the way the front starboard deck is going. I've basically riddled the entire deck with holes and I still have a rather large soft spot I can't seem to get rid of. In some areas the inner layer seems damaged so I think a lot of resin may just be leaking inside the hull. On the last bunch of injections I did I also noticed that while drilling new holes near the lower edge of the deck the foam was saturated with milky uncured resin (I think there is water in the foam). What's the next step? Can this boat be saved or is it scrap? Not sure where to go from here other than maybe cutting off the whole top layer of the deck and reglassing it? I don't know if the structural integrity would be maintained though...

--
Jason Kasper
2000 Mystère 5.0XL
--
~~ Don't waste anymore time on it.... Buy another boat ~~ icon_rolleyes

--
~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
and other toys.......
~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
--
icon_confused Anyone else tried to repair something like this? I've read posts in this forum about people going as far as cutting the top deck off to repair a hull. If the hull really is scrap, what could I expect to pay for a couple of used hulls, assuming I can find some in better shape than mine? It would seem a shame to scrap the boat since everything else is in good shape.

--
Jason Kasper
2000 Mystère 5.0XL
--
~~ Ya can do that,,,,,, buy another set of hulls. I wouldn't try to fix the old ones. I once had all the goodies for a Hobie except for the hulls........ Found a set on e-bay for 99 bucks.. Road trip to NYC (6hr. drive)...... Repainted the hulls, put the boat toghter, took picts, sold it on e-bay for $1,500 icon_biggrin

--
~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
and other toys.......
~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
--
By all means look for a newer set of hulls, at least mid 80's
Are all Prindle 16 hulls made the same (except for the ports on later models) with respect to their attachment to the crossbeams?

--
Jason Kasper
2000 Mystère 5.0XL
--