Home Made Cat Tracks

Has any one tried to use wheelbarrow tires to make cat tracks?? They are $35 each at Home Depot.. Come with steel rims and bearings.. 15" in diameter.. Rated for 300 Lbs each.. They are foam filled so no flats AND, i think they would not float the same as air filled ones.. I have some 6" PVC pipe to do cradles with.. Just need a sound axle. My lake just changed rules and trailers are not allowed with in 20 feet of the water from the shore. Beach is not real sandy.. Boat ramp is still OK but it is not close and set-up a pain.. Thx Hal

--
Hal Liske
Livermore CA
H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
--
would steel electrical pipe work for an axel?

--
Alex

Prindle 16 "Shake & Bake"
Portland, Oregon
--
Do you mean these?
http://www.homedepot.com/…Id=10051&catalogId=10053
They are only 14.5 inches tall and 3 inches wide, so you would need to be moving over a hard smooth surface. The small diameter would mean you wouldn't have much ground clearance.

Lots of people have attempted home-made beach wheels and some "recipes" work for a specific purpose. I've never seen a set that could handle real soft sand like on the Gulf Coast, but lots of people launch from concrete or hard dirt where lesser wheels can do the job.

These wheels are the same price but 15 inches tall and 6 inches wide.
http://www.homedepot.com/…ogId=10053&storeId=10051

Maybe a design with four of these (inside and outside of each hull) with a 3/4 inch stainless or galvanized steel axle would work. How much does a 10 foot 3/4 inch steel rod weigh?

Just to compare, the "real" CatTrax have tires that are 21 x 10.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
If you just need to get the boat from the trailor to the water on a concrete or gravel path and launch then the home made dolly like this http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=73154 would work fine. If the ground isn't sandy but uneven but solid the Tigertrax would be the better choice because of the large tire diameter. If you need to transport over sand or seriously uneven ground though just save yourself the grief and get the Cattrax - many have tried but none have succeeded in duplicating that system at home.

--
Dave Bonin
1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
--
I need to create an album in "Beachcats Technical" to gather up all of the home made beach wheel attempts. Kind of like the right systems folder.
http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=35080

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
If you are looking for CHEAP wheelbarrow type wheels you can't beat Harbor Freight

--
Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
Member: Utah Sailing Association
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
--
THanks Dustin. check out this one for $40. 16" diam.. Looks like the axel setup could be easy!! Hal.. http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch-x-650-inch-x-8-inch-turf-type-pneumatic-tire-36338.html

Edited by halliske on Jul 14, 2011 - 10:29 AM.

--
Hal Liske
Livermore CA
It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
--
I have made a couple of sets of home-made cat tracks for myself and friends over the years using 2 plastic 55-gallon drums. These are readily available from producers in the food and cosmetic industries. It takes some calling around to locate the drums but you can usually get them for free. Typically they were used to ship bulk quantities of food grade substances like molasses, canola oil, olive oil, propylene glycol, glycerine, etc.

I take two of these drums and drill a 2" diameter hole using a hole saw from the hardware store into the top and bottom of each drum along the central axis of the drum. I use a piece of galvanized electrical conduit (also from the hardware store) that extends about 2 feet wider than my catamaran. I thread the 2" diameter conduit through the holes that I have cut in the two barrels. I now have a long continuous "wheel" that fits nicely between the pontoons of either a Hobie 14 or H16.

You then mount some 1"x6" boards to the outside of the barrels to provide a place to attach the pontoons to the wheels. I use axle u-bolts (also from the hardware store) to attach the boards to the conduit at the spacing required to line up with the width of the pontoons. I drill an extra set of holes in the board and string some 3/8" line through the holes so I can secure the pontoons to the axle and the board. I have since added some closed cell foam on top of the boards for cushioning...

I have one set that I made 15 years ago and have used them 100's of times at the beaches here in North Carolina. The large surface area of the "wheels" floats the boat on top of loose sand. Trickiest part is getting the boat balanced but once you figure that out it becomes pretty easy.

The whole setup also fits nicely on the hobie trailer under the trampoline!

Total cost was about $30. Most expensive parts for me were the U-bolts and the 2" steel pipe. The drums were free for me and came from a bakery and were for propylene glycol, food grade. I have seen postings on craigslist in the past year where people are trying to get rid of these as well...

Good Luck!

PJ
I know it is expensive 600 + dollars for a set, but it is worth it. Buy it new and then take care of it and it will last you a life time. Make sure to buy a cable lock so you can lock them to your trailer when you are away so they are not stolen. Making them yourself is a waste of time.....I can make 600 dollars faster than I can go to store, play around with some ideas......make mistakes.....go back to store for more supplies and so on.

I hope this helps.
I found these on the Hobie.com Wave forum. they wouldn't work well in sand. one goes under each hull. i like this idea - light weight and easily stored. I'm not sure what weight limit those wheels are. The wave weighs 245 lb so you would need "stronger" wheels for a larger cat.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/corey.comstock/SGG8gMfcAZI/AAAAAAAAAEs/WV2SYWS6F3Y/s800/beachwheels.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/core…F3Y/s800/beachwheels.jpg

alank

--
switched to the dark-side (mutineer 15 mono-hull)

Little Rock Arkansas
--
I second delaunhe's statement...some things you just have to buy!

--
Kenny Boudreaux
2010 C2 F18 USA 323
Goodall Design "Southern Area Rep"
Owner of Sailboxes.com
--
With real beach wheels I can push my P18 out in the water secure the wheels on while floating then walk the boat out if the water an up the beach by my self (I'd still rather do with help but at least I know I can within reason do it my self.) Plus I use them at home all the time. I now have a Hobie 17 I'm playing around with and can move it all over my yard with little trouble my myself while I tinker on different things.

Beach wheels are by far the best investment I have put into my boat so far.

--
Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
Member: Utah Sailing Association
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
--
Hey guys,

I am the guy who made the dolly that Wolfman pointed out in his post. I think I accidently have two profiles on this site (sorry Damon). It cost me about $200 CAD to make this. It has been awesome so far, used in varying conditions (boat ramps, dirt, sand etc). I got my wheels for $7 each at Princess Auto in Canada, not sure what the US equivalent is. I just used aluminum rod for the axles, and 2" and 3" ABS for the remainder. I use it to move the 16sq. which is 17' long and weighs 300ish lbs. I know for us northerner's that don't have chandlery's around, this alternative is a good one. Get in touch if you need some help.

Jay

--
Jay Brown
Nacra 16sq. spin and modified
--
QuoteLots of people have attempted home-made beach wheels and some "recipes" work for a specific purpose. I've never seen a set that could handle real soft sand like on the Gulf Coast, but lots of people launch from concrete or hard dirt where lesser wheels can do the job.

Truer words have never beem spoken

--
Nacra 5.2
--
I have looked at these wheels for making beach wheels:

http://www.northerntool.c…duct_200308227_200308227

from northern hydraulic/equipment. Just put a 2" pole through the middle..some larger or custom washers, pins to hold the thing in place/position and then fab some hull mounts.
Light weight and can be taken apart.
I'll make some this winter and post them.

TileMan5309
P18
The docks wheels above might work if you had 2 on each side, 4 total $160 (40 x 4), BUT would they roll in the sand? I'm guessing not well, but who knows.
I'm a do-it-your-selfer and I like to get the best for as little as I can. I see used cat trax online for 250 all day, that you might be able to get with a 200 cash offer, which beats the hell out of 600 new to me. But if you have a $15,000 A class, 600 is nothing, if you have a $1500 most other used cats then it's a bigger deal. I would much rather do the used route. Sometimes you have to keep in mind that the professionals did it that way for a reason.

I think that a lot of the ideals mentioned above would work in a lot of lake house situations where you pretty much launch off of your yard. I like to read these things and see what people come up with. Very Interesting.

--
Cesar (Cez) S.
Hobie 16 (had a few)
Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
--
I used those dock wheels from Northern for homemade cat trax for my P16. I'm putting the finishing touches on them now and will post results when I get it finished. Note the hole in those wheels fits 1.5" pipe, which by industry designation is 1.9" OD. A 2.0" OD axel won't fit in the wheel. I'm using 1.5" galvanized conduit pipe from HD.

--
John Fricker
Prindle 16
Seabrook, Texas
--
jfrickerI used those dock wheels from Northern for homemade cat trax for my P16. I'm putting the finishing touches on them now and will post results when I get it finished.

Nice, good luck, anxious to here how it goes.

--
Cesar (Cez) S.
Hobie 16 (had a few)
Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
--
I made a short album and put it on Photo Albums, Catamaran Technical Tips. couldn't figure out how to get it on Technical Help. If anyone wants more info lemme know.

Edited by CatsailorMike on Sep 30, 2011 - 01:24 PM.

--
Mike Conway
H16
Hilton, NY
--
Link to tech help album

http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=82521&g2_GALLERYSID=54c8da9115ebc3324d00022f3ed5645c

Edited by CatsailorMike on Oct 01, 2011 - 09:28 AM.

--
Mike Conway
H16
Hilton, NY
--
Nice job Mike.. Going to try those wheels. What kind of spacer did you use?? Was it pre-drilled? Does the pipe flex with the weight of the boat on it?.. Saw some homemades this summer. The guy had put a pice of larger galvi pipe in the center section to stiffen the pipe. The extra weight help sink them while loding in the water... Also.. Why did you decide to seal the wheels?. Seems like it would be easier to have them sink when loading and drain on the beach? What material did you use for the straps that support the cradles Cheers Hal
PS For all those who have helped me with my N5.2 rehab, I have gone to the Dark Side again. Got a H 17 for 600$ from craigs. with trailer and wings Can sail with both fleets here.. H

--
Hal Liske
Livermore CA
It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
--
I made an album in beachcats/technical showing my homemade cat trax. They work fine on the hard gravel and concrete ramps where I launch my P16. I planned to use a broken Laser mast as an axel, but it is slightly too big, so I used galvanized conduit. I have not tried them on sand, but they probably would tend to plow through it rather than roll over it with the hard plastic dock wheels. I also plan to drill a bunch of drainage holes in the PVC pipe spacer to keep salt water from collecting there.
http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=82567&g2_

Edited by jfricker on Oct 02, 2011 - 08:33 PM.

--
John Fricker
Prindle 16
Seabrook, Texas
--
Thanx for the comments John. I'll answer your questions and offer any thoughts if you build another set. The spacer is G10 or similar material. Just 1/4 thick printed circuit board matl held in place with 3in Alum tube, 2in ID cut to 1/2 thk and drilled thru with 5/16 drill to clear 1/4 in bolt. One on each side of the wheel. The axle tube I used is 2in 6061-T6 Alum with 1/4 in wall so it doesn't flex . We have 4 sets of this style wheels in our club now, seems people liked my idea so they used it too. Boats are my son's H16, H17 and 2 H18s all work well. I used the wheels the first year with the holes but they were too heavy getting back up the beach. And the holes are located in such a place that all the water doesn't drain out. And here in western NY that's not what ya want. The cradle supports are SS strap, 1/8 in thk and 1 in wide, 81/2 in long. Hope this helps and thanx for the comments.

--
Mike Conway
H16
Hilton, NY
--