Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Leech Forestay  Bottom

• I came across this gem this morning and it gave me a chuckle.

https://orangecounty.crai….org/boa/6036468754.html

I'm going to shoot him an email to let him know he'll destroy the jib if the boat goes out like that. His wife actually made the right call for him.

Edited by mattson on Mar 11, 2017 - 10:42 AM.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • mattsonI came across this gem this morning and it gave me a chuckle.

https://orangecounty.crai….org/boa/6036468754.html

Thanks! I need a laugh this morning, the work on the Catsailor.com move is not going well.

The story may be BS, but if not hope the boat makes it back to Big Bear. Calling pbegle!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • $2000 for an 81 H-16. Is that what they call a dreamer in California?

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Some tourist up here have way too much money! Pete
  • tominpa$2000 for an 81 H-16. Is that what they call a dreamer in California?

A custom jib with battens that never hang up on the mast. You can't put a price on that.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • The last time I saw a Hobie 16 rigged like that, the boat was mounted to the roof of a coffee shop in Nipomo. The place was under renovation, and while checking it out, I made a sweet deal on the trailer. I mentioned to the owner that the jib was on backwards. He offered to pay me a small fee to go up there and rig the boat correctly. I explained that it was better off rigged as is, since if I rigged it correctly the boat was going to want to GO.

A couple weeks later I saw big holes cut in the sails. Apparently the winds came up and it was trying to rip itself off the building.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • mattsonThe last time I saw a Hobie 16 rigged like that, the boat was mounted to the roof of a coffee shop in Nipomo. The place was under renovation, and while checking it out, I made a sweet deal on the trailer. I mentioned to the owner that the jib was on backwards. He offered to pay me a small fee to go up there and rig the boat correctly. I explained that it was better off rigged as is, since if I rigged it correctly the boat was going to want to GO.

A couple weeks later I saw big holes cut in the sails. Apparently the winds came up and it was trying to rip itself off the building.

I don't guess this could be it? icon_biggrin
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…153&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27410&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I saw that blue boat on ebay the other day. The bid was 105 dollars and no reserve. I sent the seller a message also that the jib was on backwards and he thanked me, told me he didn't know how to sail. Looks like the boat is in great condition and don't think that price is unrealistic for the condition, looks hardly used.
    By way of comparison, there is an Aquacat on ebay for $1200.00, and a Hobie Miracle 20 on there for $3000.00. I'd buy the H16 for 2 grand before even considering that Aquacat, those things just don't look safe to me. By the way, when I got my H16, my wife told me the same thing about not getting on it and all, I told her that was okay with me and that if she'd just give it a try, she'd change her mind. She's slowly coming around. Lol.

Edited by martyr on Mar 12, 2017 - 09:22 AM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • DamonLinkous
    mattsonThe last time I saw a Hobie 16 rigged like that, the boat was mounted to the roof of a coffee shop in Nipomo. The place was under renovation, and while checking it out, I made a sweet deal on the trailer. I mentioned to the owner that the jib was on backwards. He offered to pay me a small fee to go up there and rig the boat correctly. I explained that it was better off rigged as is, since if I rigged it correctly the boat was going to want to GO.

I don't guess this could be it? icon_biggrin
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…153&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27410&g2_serialNumber=4

That be the one!! Thanks for digging that up. I forgot I had published that.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • martyrI saw that blue boat on ebay the other day. The bid was 105 dollars and no reserve. I sent the seller a message also that the jib was on backwards and he thanked me, told me he didn't know how to sail. Looks like the boat is in great condition and don't think that price is unrealistic for the condition, looks hardly used.
    By way of comparison, there is an Aquacat on ebay for $1200.00, and a Hobie Miracle 20 on there for $3000.00. I'd buy the H16 for 2 grand before even considering that Aquacat, those things just don't look safe to me. By the way, when I got my H16, my wife told me the same thing about not getting on it and all, I told her that was okay with me and that if she'd just give it a try, she'd change her mind. She's slowly coming around. Lol.Edited by martyr on Mar 12, 2017 - 09:22 AM.

I got a reply of "thank you" from the guy. As helpful as the cat sailing community is, he probably has received a lot of email on that issue. And I agree on that price if the boat is in exceptional shape. It would be a narrow market though, as the ones who really know the boat are going to be looking for the newer post 84 lighter boats, and many of the newbies will be buying the delaminated $300 boats.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • That boat is still at $105.50 on ebay with no reserve and about 5 days left. Long way to go to get to 2 grand. I'll bet he ends the auction early if the money isn't there.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.