Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

The Future of Catsailor.com and TheBeachcats.com  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I'm sure most of you know that Rick White, legendary sailor and all around character, passed away January 11th, 2017. If you aren't aware then you need to visit the home page of this site more often.

After about a month I started to wonder if anyone was taking care of Catsailor.com since it was getting eat-up with spammers and generally didn't appear anyone was home.

I had always assumed that Rick had others helping him with the site, just as most of you probably think I'm typing this from a corporate headquarters filled with minions to do my bidding.

Alas it isn't true for me and it wasn't true for Rick either. Of course Rick had his wife Mary Wells to help him, but more with the print edition of Catamaran Sailor Magazine. Now that Rick is gone it turns out that Mary is very Ill as well.

So with her blessing, and also that of Rick's son David White I now have two large catamaran sailing websites to take care of.

During the last 36 hours or so I've spent a lot of time cleaning up spam posts (NFL Jerseys, cheap from China!) and removing broken links to the now-closed OnlineMarineStore.com store.

If you want to find out more, follow the topic on the Catsailor.com forum Board Status and read my appeal for support on the home page there.

I don't really know for sure how this will all come out. I have big plans for TheBeachcats.com which are far behind schedule, so I'm not sure exactly what the future holds. The only thing I knew for sure was that if I did nothing the whole Catsailor.com website, domain, and all would have just disappeared. It was about 8 days from the webhost shutting it down, when I got permission from the family and paid the host the past due server and email charges. Now I've got five or six days (maybe a little more if the webhost allows) to deal with this and move the site and domains over to my servers.

Stand by it's going to be interesting.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I think it is a very noble thing and a great tribute to Rick White and his family that you have taken all of this on Damon and I am sure that others will share the same feeling. I salute you sir.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Damon
    Thanks for this. It is a significant commitment of time and resources and it is much appreciated.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • Good Job Damon,
    Is there a path forward to manage a business model of the online store.......I think you already have the dedicated audience and willing customer base to entertain the new level of revenues..... icon_wink

Thanks Again, Bill

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Thank you taking on this monumental task. Merging of the two in whatever way will you achieve is greatly appreciated and I for one use this forum as my primary go-to source for projects, solutions and ideas. Keep up the great work!

--
    Todd

Virginia
    --
  • Hi Damon,
    thanks for taking care of this. It's a lot of work and you are probably the person best suited to take over Rick's site. I mostly post here but also followed some Prindle discussions on that site. There's also many interesting insights over there from the racing community. I figure my small contribution I sent you is the least I can do to keep the beachcat community tethered online. Hopefully others at beachcats that have used both sites may consider doing the same.
    Marek

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Cool stuff. I'd say just merge the data all under thebeachcats name and forward the domain here. 99% of the information someone needs has already been discussed anyway. We can't let it die. Everyone needs to donate something.
  • a very noble task sir. you have a lot of support here and i'm sure with your leadership.....things will stay they way they are.....awesome........

--
    Mike Conway
    H16
    Hilton, NY
    --
  • I for one, will show my appreciation by donating to thebeachcats.com, well done sir!

the-renovator
  • ~~ Damon, I'd like to thank you for taking over ''Ricks'' site and for weeding out the scammers... I've used both sites, but mostly this one. I guess it's about time I gave a donation of some kind from someone who is on a fixed income (retired)... Come on guys, jump on the boat. If I can do it so can you. A little bit will HELP~~ Thank You 'Damon' from ~~ POP~~ (Paul) icon_wink

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Ulysses Grant is coming you way to help out

Appreciate your taking this on..

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Oh Wow, thanks for all the kind words (and cash).

When I posted that it was just so you you all would know what was going on and wouldn't think I was cheating on your with another website. rofl2

Wasn't really looking for contributions from here, figured that was the job of the Catsailor.com regulars if there was support. I spent over 30 hours on this just since last Thursday when I first got control of everything. There is so much to do.

Thanks everyone! And good to see old popeyez7 back on here!

Don't miss "Free Ads March", catamaran boat and parts ads are free to place in March. Let's jump start your season by selling those extra boats and parts you have laying around.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks everyone! And good to see old popeyez7 back on here!

~~ THANKS ~~ I'am usually on here snoopin around and lookin around the corners... icon_biggrin icon_lol I just added another album on here in the ''Personal album folder'' ~~ Cat Toy 14 T~~ icon_wink

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
    And good to see old popeyez7 back on here!

+1
  • You are a GENTLEMAN, Damon !!

A

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Dumb question... Where do I find Damon's paypal details? I've been an avid Beachcat reader for a LONG time, time to pay back a little.

Nevermind, found it on catsailor. :)

Finally sent you a long overdue contribution.

Edited by efinley on Mar 10, 2017 - 02:17 AM.
  • I just used the link below the side banner on the left. It went to a different email than what he posted on cat sailor but I assumed he controlled that account too
  • QuoteMatt

sailing this weekend?
  • Well that is pretty obvious now isn't it. :) I've just trained myself to ignore all the side stuff like that since on an average website it is just banner ads. I don't even look at them anymore.
  • MN3
    QuoteMatt

sailing this weekend?

ya. Saturday afternoon is looking low so probably Saturday evening and most of the day Sunday.

We were out last weekend and were the only ones. I guess y'all wussed out with the 35mph gusts

Edited by tamumpower1 on Mar 10, 2017 - 07:19 PM.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.