Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sheet Upgrades  Bottom

• I am considering changing the main sheets and jib sheets on my H16. The sheets that are currently on the boat are plain white and I am wanting to add a little color. My boat has the original 1984 equipment and I'm not sure of the diameter of the sheets. I welcome any recommendations, brands and diameter information. Thanks.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Here's what Hobie recomends
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…765&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

5/16" or 8mm runs faster and more free on the main.
    I know some guys that use 1/4" on the jib.

Stay with New England's Sta-Set or Samson's XLS

Wear gloves with new lines.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Sta-Set will work butiwould recommend switching to salsa. It's a bit more expensive but is very comfortable in your hand, and the dyneema allows you to go as small as you like without worrying about strength.
  • I was just looking at the website for New England Ropes and like the look of that red and yellow line from the Flight Line series, says it's soft on the hands and gets softer with use. Has anyone used this before?

Edited by martyr on Feb 19, 2017 - 07:09 PM.

--
    Marty
    --
  • I have used a Flight Line mainsheet. Loved it! Great grip. Recommend it. I got a good deal on Maffioli Swiftcord and that is now my go to mainsheet. I also like Yale PhD Racer line , have that for jib sheets it is a very fuzzy textured line. Have heard that Salsa is the best, just haven't used it.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • martyrI was just looking at the website for New England Ropes and like the look of that red and yellow line from the Flight Line series

My problem with Flight Line is that it has a polypropylene cover. It will be fine if it's your main sheet and taken off the boat (not left in the sun). But as a jib sheet, when it's left in the sun, it won't last long. My advice would be look for a polyester cover if it's left in the sun (mast up storage and/or stored outside and uncovered).

It is light weight and does not gain weight when wet, but it may not have that pop when your un-cleating.

As for Salsa, I use it on my spin sheet and like it. I have also used it on my main but prefer a polyester/dyneema double braid that I can taper.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • I replaced my 1984 NACRA 5.7 lines 3 years ago with New England Ropes, Sta-Set. It still has the same color and finish as new. Brilliant red fleck on the main, and blue on the jib. Looks and feels great and runs through the blocks very smoothly.

Edited by tominpa on Feb 19, 2017 - 09:22 PM.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • QuoteMaffioli Swiftcord

Swiftcord is the premium dynema blend line - it's helle-good but pricey
    Robline racing sheet is next in order. Super soft, strong and durable, less pricey
    Salsa is the cheaper of the 3. Similar in feel and strenght - it's biggest drawback is it's color scheme is all the same... just different flecks. Not optimal on a beach cat where a spin sheet and main sheet can overlap and be similar in size.

i would avoid these type lines for a jib sheet. they are just not heavy enough to "Snap" the jib sheet out of it's cleat during a tack. It's hard enough for crew to unsheet the jib, this makes it real tough for either skipper or crew.

this line is very robust and will get "Fuzzy" with use, but that doesn't deminish it's strenght. It's only when you start to have frays and tears that it needs replacing (i get about 500 sails or 3 years out of mine)
  • (Beating a dead horse).......Before you spend coin on new lines just to change colors, I highly recommend that you work toward upgrades to the jib travelers/cleats, and main blocks as has been discussed before. Then choose appropriate lengths/diameters for the sheets accordingly. You'll be amazed at the difference. That said...

If you are going to keep running the original block/cleat/traveler system (jib) and 5:1 Seaway blocks (main), I would recommend that you just stick with Sta-Set.....it works reasonably well, holds up very well, and is relatively cheap. Premium line would be a waste with the poorly performing blocks/cleats and less purchase. If those little plastic sheeves in your jib blocks are damaged/missing (as is usually the case), you're going to chew that sheet up prematurely anyway. For these same reasons, you really don't want to go down on the recommended line diameters. Sure, it will run through better, but it will be hell on your hands without better hardware.

Note that the specs for the mainsheet in the line guide referenced above are for 6:1 blocks which are now stock. For the old 5:1 Seaways, I believe the diameter was 7/16 inch and the length was around 37 or 38 feet (please double check that).

In practice, you'll find that the recommended lengths for both the main and jib sheets are actually a little too long. Shortening the jib by 3-4 feet and the main by about 6 will work just as well and reduce clutter/tangles/fouling. I'd recommend that you buy the recommended lengths, then shorten them to suit yourself.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Thank you all for the input. Jerome, I do plan on keeping the boat original for now, all of the hardware is remarkably still like new and complete because the boat was rarely used. I don't necessarily need the extreme or top of the line stuff that the racers use because, for me, this is a casual/recreational boat. Actually, my sheets are in top shape, but both jib and main are white, just thought I'd add a little color and style to the sheets. Thank you for your input.

--
    Marty
    --
  • Quote I don't necessarily need the extreme or top of the line stuff that the racers use because, for me, this is a casual/recreational boat.

You will LOVE new hardware... kinda like a new set of golf clubs .... won't make you a pro, but will improve your game a little and make you curse a little less.

I WOULD look into a new jib sheet IF you ever have white/white issues (grabbing the wrong line at an inopportune time).
  • martyrActually, my sheets are in top shape, but both jib and main are white, just thought I'd add a little color and style to the sheets.

How 'bout a good washing (put 'em in a mesh bag if you're using a washing machine)....then some Rit dye! You could even tie-dye them! (I actually doubt dye would work well on synthetic line.)
    icon_smile

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • You confirm that upgrading the boat is fun by itself.. no need of a real reason.
    I'm with you
  • APS is having a 15% off line sale which is nice. FSE robline makes a quality product. I would also consider talking to your hobie dealer. The racing rigging is a full Lyros line kit which you can't buy retail in the U.S and it's one of the best and sized for your boat!
  • Hi all,

As I continue to refit my F25C I picked up a 200 m spool of 8mm (5/16) FSE Robline Coppa 3000 (low water absorption fuzzy cover with dyneema core) for my spin sheet, continuous furler drive lines, traveler and while I'm at it, my Hobie 17 main and spin sheets. I can't use this much (I already have Salsa main and VPC 2-1 jib sheet although Coppa would be better) and I am comfortable sitting on it but if anyone is interested I can assist anyone on the list and supply lengths of this for 75 cents a foot (plus shipping). This is 1/2 price of the best prices found on the Internet. I did this because when I priced out my needs of the above it was easier to just move forward and eat the extra cost if necessary rather than try to find partners in advance.

Annapolis Performance Sailing Coppa 3000 description here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XbbmtplUjk

If interested please let me know offline,

james looby (no spaces in name) and I use google mail.

James F25C

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.